Pretentious/Overblown Movies You Have Seen?

Tools    

So I just got done finishing a short film called Notre-Dame Des Hormones which was some fantasy short about two women who find a strange monster that looks like a penis and then their actions get the thing involved. This seems to show desire. Multiple people get killed such as one man who comes near it and later one of the women. I heard of it, because of uenostation54's movie list that showed all of these weird movies that nobody has ever heard of except for the "most normal movies on the list" such as It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World and even Breathless. After months of thinking about it, I finally checked this thing out and did not really like it. I found the result to be too familiar as somebodys like Bunuel, Rohmer, and Jodorowsky did the desire topic in a better way. I even feel like Mike Judge did it better as well with Beavis and Butthead. That is just me, so I respect uenostation's appeal to this short. My money in terms of surrealistic movies is still on ones like Un Chien Andalou, WR: Mysteries of the Organism(My opinion on that one got better since my review of it), Daisies, and The Holy Mountain. The movie's rating for me for now-

Other pretentious pains for me included(including other media): The Royal Tenenbaums, Dr. Strange Into The Multiverse, the miniseries Candy, partially Quentin Tarantino movies during long dialogue scenes like the dinner scene in Django but the rest was great, the "philosophical" karate masters in real life and the ones shown in movies, Shadow of the Hierophant by Steve Hackett, Andy Warhol movies from what I heard despite looking interesting, and finally, I never saw this one but Jeanne Dielman's concept sounds a bit pretentious.

Being "pretentious" means that the film in question tries to give an impression of importance or value that isn't there. Considering how subjective our perceptions to different films can be, I don't think we have the ability to judge whether a film is important or valuable to someone else. A film might not *get* to you, but it can *get* to many others, and viceversa.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Pretentious? I swear to God this has to be the most used argument against any film someone didn't enjoy. Well, as long as it's artsy. It's almost as easy to use as a 'boring' argument because it's only one word. It's really hard to get more info from a person who used the word, so you're probably never gonna know why that guy thought a movie about grapes, testicles, and ballerinas you love so much is pretentious.

Example:

"Malick's 2011 feature Tree of Life is nothing more than a pretentious piece of junk. I already didn't like his previous one The New World, but compared to Tree of Life, it at least had a plot. Infantile, but still... Tree of Life is pretentious. Dinosaurs are pretentious. Space is pretentious. Brad Pitt is pretentious. Sean Penn is pretentious. Lubezki's cinematography is pretentious. The soundtrack is pretentious. Jessica Chastain is pre... no, I'd actually hit that. Anyways, what did I... Ah! Everything is pretentious in this arthouse movie wannabe. Don't watch it. Pretentious"
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Pretentious? I swear to God this has to be the most used argument against any film someone didn't enjoy. Well, as long as it's artsy. It's almost as easy to use as a 'boring' argument because it's only one word. It's really hard to get more info from a person who used the word, so you're probably never gonna know why that guy thought a movie about grapes, testicles, and ballerinas you love so much is pretentious.

Example:

"Malick's 2011 feature Tree of Life is nothing more than a pretentious piece of junk. I already didn't like his previous one The New World, but compared to Tree of Life, it at least had a plot. Infantile, but still... Tree of Life is pretentious. Dinosaurs are pretentious. Space is pretentious. Brad Pitt is pretentious. Sean Penn is pretentious. Lubezki's cinematography is pretentious. The soundtrack is pretentious. Jessica Chastain is pre... no, I'd actually hit that. Anyways, what did I... Ah! Everything is pretentious in this arthouse movie wannabe. Don't watch it. Pretentious"
Indeed. I don’t think I entirely understand this thread. Checked out the list, some are less well-known than others, but many are classics, e.g. Cries and Whispers - how are they “pretentious and overblown”? Even “artsy” is an odd concept, while we’re at it. I find Hannibal the show “artsy”.

Welcome to the human race...
Definitely amused by the nod to Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - not the obvious pick for a pretentious superhero movie.

Victim of The Night
Yeah, I think any list that calls Suspiria "pretentious" can go outside and f*ck itself.
Not in here. Outside.

My pretentious and overblown list has to include almost any biblical movie that claims to illustrate the events that go beyond us. The Ten Commandments must be close to the top of that list, especially when Cecil B DeMille voiced God.

I find Hannibal the show “artsy”.
Which is a great thing! The writing and execution is great. Especially season 4.

And you know as I do, don't f**k with Mads. He brings everything a notch higher.

Which is a great thing! The writing and execution is great. Especially season 4.

And you know as I do, don't f**k with Mads. He brings everything a notch higher.
Indeed, he does. And absolutely, I wish there were more things like that, it’s magical. I rewatched it recently (again, that is) and felt like Hannibal might actually beat Breaking Bad in my top-10 list, because the ending is more to my taste and feels more original.

A rather obnoxious person I know criticised it (the Hannibal ending) by saying it was too “allegro vivace” for his taste. And yes, my mother was a professional musician and Fuller conceivably could have taken longer to wrap up season 3, but that struck me as the most ****ing “pretentious” (and overblown!) thing to say that I could think of. An ironically pretentious criticism of a supposedly pretentious show.

Anyway, I digress. Still not convinced the concept of the thread makes sense.

The only thing with Mads that I haven’t seen is Fantastic Beasts. I’m sure he’s great as ever (and may well be the one great thing about it), but I just can’t do it right now. I attempted and quickly gave up on GoT last week, so…

Indeed, he does. And absolutely, I wish there were more things like that, it’s magical. I rewatched it recently (again, that is) and felt like Hannibal might actually beat Breaking Bad in my top-10 list, because the ending is more to my taste and feels more original.

A rather obnoxious person I know criticised it (the Hannibal ending) but saying it was too “allegro vivace” for his taste. And yes, my mother was a professional musician and Fuller conceivably could have taken longer to wrap up season 3, but that struck me as the most ****ing “pretentious” (and overblown!) thing to say that I could think of. An ironically pretentious criticism of a supposedly pretentious show.

Anyway, I digress. Still not convinced the concept of the thread makes sense.

The only thing with Mads that I haven’t seen is Fantastic Beasts. I’m sure he’s great as ever (and may well be the one great thing about it), but I just can’t do it right now. I attempted and quickly gave up on GoT last week, so…
Bryan Fuller, the executive producer, is trying to get a streaming service to pick it up but that's been an ongoing thing for years. Who knows.

I haven't seen a few of his current films including FBAWTFT. I cant stand Tom Holland, Daisy Ridley or that Jonas guy so I haven't seen Chaos Walking.

I may watch them but not for now.

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX;2331294

A rather obnoxious person I know criticised it (the [B
Hannibal[/b] ending) but saying it was too “allegro vivace” for his taste.
Allegro vivace... that is priceless!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Each consecutive season of Hannibal is better because each of them is more style over substance which is usually an attribute of films and not TV shows. Of course, style over substance is a thing of value, but only for a delicate palate. But Hannibal definitely has good taste, eh?

It only had 3 seasons, so you probably refer to the second half of the third season? Because it's very notably split in two parts, thematically and narratively.

Anyway, I'm a fan as well, and as great as Mads is, I feel like praising Hugh Dancy just as much.