The 29th Hall of Fame

Tools    

I think most all of the 10 noms have a chance at being #1. People really chose some good stuff this time around, not a bad movie in the bunch.

I don't think there was any one movie that everyone loved, so I'm guessing that the point spread will be tight.

movies can be okay...
I'll send my ballot and post my write-ups for Tomboy & La promesse tomorrow.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

The trick is not minding
Stroszek

Hersog’s Stroszek is a sad, tragic tale of a lonely, sad, and at times inept, man. Fresh from prison, Bruno Stroszek attempts to put his life back together. Complicating matters is his friendship with a hooker, Eva, whose pimps don’t take kindly to her staying with him. The first 45 mins are of her running back and forth between them. Eventually they decide to flee to America, hoping to find a better life. And money. For good measure they accompany his friend and former landlord, who was moving there.

What unfolds is, as I’ve mentioned earlier, a sad and tragic tale with an equally sad and tragic ending.

Herzog has always made films about unique individuals. From the insane megalomaniacal Aguirre, to the inept and atrabge Kaspar Hauser. Here we have more of a simple version of Kaspar, who was played by the same actor, Bruno S. Bruno brings a less vain approach to his role, as opposed to the more flashy Kinski, who also worked often with Herzog. Bruno brings a more humble characteristic that Kinski could not have, a requirement for such a role.

The film mainly works, for me, because of the little moments, the ones that you imagine could happen anywhefe, ones where you think “Yeah, I can see that conversation happening like that.” It’s simple, and as such, the film unfolds naturally.*

Until we arrive to the end. And it ends the only way it could, for a man who had lost everything by the time we reach that point. For me, there was a sense of pity. And relief for that man. I felt almost like I journeyed with him for thsoe 2 hours. A silent witness to his life as he flails about trying to make sense of everything.

It’s worth noting that this was the last movie Ian Curtis, the lead singer of Joy Division, watched before he committed suicide in 1980. A tragic sidenote to a tragic film.

movies can be okay...
La Promesse (1996) directed by The Dardenne Brothers

The father-son relationship in La Promesse was my favorite aspect of the film. There's undeniable love between the two, and the scene in the karaoke bar perfectly communicates that. However, on normal bases, the father can become too occupied by his own selfishness to actually father his son. We see him correct the young kid whenever he calls him "papa", almost implying that he doesn't want to be reminded of what his true role is supposed to be. Instead, he'd rather remain in this escapist fantasy of being in a gang-like relationship with his kid, which I'm sure is very convenient and comfortable for him. We have instances of the dad punishing or beating the son, and a few seconds later he's reeling him back in by either turning the situation into a laugh with a "shit happens"-like attitude, or by buying his forgiveness through gifts and money. It's clear he fears he might lose the kid if he once goes too far, but does he actually fear losing his son, or does he fear losing his gang buddy? Does his damage control come from love or manipulation?

The son loves his dad obviously. He looks up to him, tries to follow in his footsteps, only it's quite the corrupt path. It's even more interesting when he escapes with Assita, and attempts to juggle between remaining loyal and trying to do the right thing. The scene with him suddenly going for her hug is a great representation and release of all of that guilt that had been building up inside of him up to that point. It seems as though through it he's letting out all of the secrets, emotions, and the unsaid, without actually spilling a thing. His final stand off with his dad stands out as the emotional climax of the film. There was even a gulp in my throat throughout it, because it demonstrated an intense clash of emotions as it finally sinks in to the boy the manipulative strings he'd been under his whole life. The ending is great. Nothing more needs to be said after those last lines.

The simplicity and confidence behind the film-making and storytelling in La Promesse, merge together to deliver what I feel is what Cinema was born to achieve and reach. It's not completely documentarian where it would literally show everything exactly as it happened, but cutting around moments such as Amidou's fall, the father learning about his son's actions behind his back, etc...is a great aesthetic that adds to the experience without even realizing it. The only part I'm going to criticize would be Amidou's final words. It seems as though he was ready to spill them out as soon as his body hit the floor. It happens way too fast, and with a cliché like that, you have to handle it more carefully in order to portray it with authenticity, otherwise it just won't work, especially considering that this particular scene is what initiates the driving force of the conflict. The only thing that's left to say would be that I loved Igor's reaction to Assita telling him that her husband is close by after inspecting a chicken's intestines. Huuuuuuuh!? Exactly my thoughts buddy!
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	baby.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	88722  

movies can be okay...
That might not sound like it makes sense, but one of the best things a movie can do is hurt me.
Ditto.

I'm not sure if there's any significance in the male baby being born at the end of the film.
It definitely felt like it to me, especially considering the context of the film.

movies can be okay...
Tomboy (2011) directed by Céline Sciamma

I mentioned earlier in the thread how I've already watched Tomboy before and wasn't necessarily enthusiastic about re-watching it for the HOF. After this second viewing though, I honestly wouldn't mind seeing it again in the future. The story definitely hit it for me this time around, and I have no clue why it didn't the first time. Considering the subject matter, the age of the people portrayed, and the delicate approach, I'd say this movie is low-key ahead of its time, especially since you'd think a movie like it would've come out in one of the more recent years.

I loved the relationship between Laure and Jeanne. Loved how the latter was smart enough to come to her sister's defense when caught off guard by Lisa. Both actresses were overall incredibly intelligent with their performances. I saw some people here complain about the lack of character development in our main character, but I'm like...she's a literal child whose character is still in development. I'm sure if she understood herself there wouldn't even be a need for the movie. I was shocked to find out how tense this movie can get at times, generating suspense from what seem like banal moments. The film is obviously also uncomfortable at times, but it's very genuine in portraying those hurtful feelings and emotions. Witnessing the mom force Laure to wear the above blue dress really got to me, and as cricket mentioned in his review, the best movies often are the ones that hurt.

The technicalities don't ever reach Portrait of a Lady on Fire level, nor do I want them to, the film looks fine as it is, but it still kinda leaves a little more to be desired. Some of the other kids also left a lot to be desired acting wise, a lot of them felt very aware of the camera. And that dancing scene was a bit much for me. It was cheesy as it is, but also the two kids seem a tiny bit too old to genuinely want to indulge in that kind of playing. There's a bit of cheese and conveniences here and there, but what I really wanted improvements on was the ending. Don't get me wrong it was fine, but I personally would've preferred for more creativity, perhaps something that's more lasting. Especially when you take into account the director's magnum opus and how it felt like it had 3 endings back to back, all great on their own.

The trick is not minding
Alright. I’m home and rested and I’ll be starting Robot tonight followed by Anomalisa tomorrow.

Reviews and ballot to follow. Thank you for your patience.

Went out and rented Anomalisa. Will watch that shortly. Reviews to come
Do they still have video stores in your area? There isn’t any place to rent videos in my area.

The trick is not minding
Do they still have video stores in your area? There isn’t any place to rent videos in my area.
There is yes. Wonder Books is Morley a book store, but also doubles as a video rental, as well. I go there often.

The trick is not minding
Enthiran

This was a long movie. At times you feel it’s length, as it’s 30 mins longer then it’s sequel, 2.0, which I had already seen.

It follows the usual outline that comes with a scientist creating artificial life. Like Frankenstein or I Robot, and anything else involving a similar plot, the robot starts to exhibit emotions and acts out. It also developed feelings for the beautiful and neglected Sana, his creators fiancé. Played by the talented Aishwarya Rai (yes, I still have to look that up) she’s given just enough to stand out.

The movies kind of all over the place. It makes slight attempts at comedy with its over the top action, although that’s not it’s true aim I couldn’t help but smirk. It’s has sudden moments of violence, such as the wedding kidnapping and subsequent murders, and the girl who Chiti saved from a fire while she was naked. Embarrassed and shamed, she runs off, in what started out as comedic before suddenly turning disastrous and fatal.

The special effects were ok, I guess. They weren’t really great, and seemed somewhat artificial as opposed to what I’m use to from other countries.

I should note I had to watch this in English, without subtitles, and it was somewhat hard to understand. The nudity (naked girl he saved) was also blurred out bizarrely, which I know India doesn’t do on their own, as I’ve seen Bandit Queen and Kama Sutra, and particularly the former has full frontal. A minor complaint, unless it was censored purposely by the studio.

What language is This actually filmed in? Telugu? Tamil? Hindi? Other? There hve so many, although I think those are the three major ones. I really would have preferred to seen this in its proper language. Perhaps someone can send me a link? I wouldn’t mind rewatching it purely for The divine Rai.

Not a bad film. But not a “good” one either, as it just doesn’t do enough to stand out.

The trick is not minding
Can i also get proper link to Enthiran with English subtitles? I wanna rewatch it. It was hard to understand in English, at times.

It won’t change how I felt about it, of course.

Can i also get proper link to Enthiran with English subtitles? I wanna rewatch it. It was hard to understand in English, at times.

It won’t change how I felt about it, of course.
Sent!