Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Mrs Miniver

I really didn't know anything about this going in, other than it was from the 1940s and about a woman named Mrs Miniver. Even as it started, I wasn't quite sure how it was going to pan out.

One of the odd things about this film is that it is set in Britain, about a British family, but it's also very obviously an American Hollywood movie in feel. Greer Garson, in the title role, is (thankfully) British, although some of her family members struggle with their accents at times.

I really liked how it showed the changes in their lives over the course of the war - or rather the war so far. This was released in 1942, so the war was only half way through and of course at the time they wouldn't have known how long it would go on. I liked how we follow the changes in the lives of the same characters and their relationships, and how even the minor characters are woven in so well that we get to know and care about their fates.

There's more than a little of the propaganda film about it. Reading about it subsequently it seems it was designed to make Americans feel more well disposed to joining the war in Europe. It also tends towards the melodramatic and schmaltzy at times - not all the time, and it works much better when it's more understated. Some scenes and speeches are just stretched out a little too long to make their point. There are also a few liberties taken with plausibility, with major events happening all at the same time and the idea that Vin could make his engine make a particular noise just as he flew over their house. In the blackout.

I remember having a discussion thread on here ages ago about films with one scene that encapsulates the entire movie and I think there's one of those here, in the bomb shelter scene. It starts with Mrs Miniver and her husband being quite jokey with each other, moves on to a sort of keep-calm-and-carry-on attitude while she knits and pretends that everything is fine, and then finally to terror as the bombs drop nearer and nearer. I really liked how that scene was constructed to mirror the movie as a whole.

There's a (fairly simplistic) attempt at showing the war as a kind of leveller for class barriers. The Minivers are described at the start as ordinary, and they are - they aren't leaders or war heroes or famous scientists or anything - although financially of course they are really quite well off. In a fairly amusing scene near the start, Mrs Miniver's eldest son is lecturing his neighbour's granddaughter about her being a member of the aristocracy while being completely oblivious of his own casual imperiousness towards the family's maid. Later, after the flower show and in the church there is much more of a sense that everyone is in it together.

The church scene at the end was interesting. It's clear that the church has been bombed and that huge wooden supports have been put in place; just behind the altar the supports form the shape of a cross - it's not referred to but it's a fairly powerful image. In real life, in 1940 the cathedral in Coventry was bombed and when people went to clear the rubble they found two pieces of wood that had just fallen in the shape of a cross near the altar and that cross is still kept in the rebuilt cathedral today.

One interesting piece of trivia is that Greer Garson married the actor who played her eldest son in Mrs Miniver (who was 12 years her junior) shortly after the film was made. Which makes all their scenes together slightly uncomfortable. (She was definitely better at acting than he was.)

Good choice, I think it's probably my favourite so far. No idea who picked this but I'm going to guess Ed.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Mrs Miniver

I really didn't know anything about this going in, other than it was from the 1940s and about a woman named Mrs Miniver. Even as it started, I wasn't quite sure how it was going to pan out.

One of the odd things about this film is that it is set in Britain, about a British family, but it's also very obviously an American Hollywood movie in feel. Greer Garson, in the title role, is (thankfully) British, although some of her family members struggle with their accents at times.

I really liked how it showed the changes in their lives over the course of the war - or rather the war so far. This was released in 1942, so the war was only half way through and of course at the time they wouldn't have known how long it would go on. I liked how we follow the changes in the lives of the same characters and their relationships, and how even the minor characters are woven in so well that we get to know and care about their fates.

There's more than a little of the propaganda film about it. Reading about it subsequently it seems it was designed to make Americans feel more well disposed to joining the war in Europe. It also tends towards the melodramatic and schmaltzy at times - not all the time, and it works much better when it's more understated. Some scenes and speeches are just stretched out a little too long to make their point. There are also a few liberties taken with plausibility, with major events happening all at the same time and the idea that Vin could make his engine make a particular noise just as he flew over their house. In the blackout.

I remember having a discussion thread on here ages ago about films with one scene that encapsulates the entire movie and I think there's one of those here, in the bomb shelter scene. It starts with Mrs Miniver and her husband being quite jokey with each other, moves on to a sort of keep-calm-and-carry-on attitude while she knits and pretends that everything is fine, and then finally to terror as the bombs drop nearer and nearer. I really liked how that scene was constructed to mirror the movie as a whole.

There's a (fairly simplistic) attempt at showing the war as a kind of leveller for class barriers. The Minivers are described at the start as ordinary, and they are - they aren't leaders or war heroes or famous scientists or anything - although financially of course they are really quite well off. In a fairly amusing scene near the start, Mrs Miniver's eldest son is lecturing his neighbour's granddaughter about her being a member of the aristocracy while being completely oblivious of his own casual imperiousness towards the family's maid. Later, after the flower show and in the church there is much more of a sense that everyone is in it together.

The church scene at the end was interesting. It's clear that the church has been bombed and that huge wooden supports have been put in place; just behind the altar the supports form the shape of a cross - it's not referred to but it's a fairly powerful image. In real life, in 1940 the cathedral in Coventry was bombed and when people went to clear the rubble they found two pieces of wood that had just fallen in the shape of a cross near the altar and that cross is still kept in the rebuilt cathedral today.

One interesting piece of trivia is that Greer Garson married the actor who played her eldest son in Mrs Miniver (who was 12 years her junior) shortly after the film was made. Which makes all their scenes together slightly uncomfortable. (She was definitely better at acting than he was.)

Good choice, I think it's probably my favourite so far. No idea who picked this but I'm going to guess Ed.
Nope, not me. Though I was very happy to see someone nominated it for you, knowing you'll enjoy it. I fell in love with Greer Garson in this role.

And yes, the church scene and the bomb shelter scenes were very well done.
A truly heart-warming, sentimental film.

So I watched Ms Miniver in April going through BP winners gave it a 4, and remember absolutely nothing about it. Awesome.

I thought Coda was pretty good. Really strong ending. Definitely not BP material for me, but hey, at least I got to moan about the Oscars like everyone else this year.

Haven’t seen Collateral since the theater so it definitely needs a rewatch. I remember thinking it was pretty good, but being a little disappointed because of expectations.

Seconds:

I feel like dream like movies usually really work for me or not at all. Surprisingly I think this one falls in the middle somewhere. The beginning and the end were really good. I like the set-up to the conceit quite a bit. Liked not knowing where it was going. I liked my mind saying “where’s Rock Hudson” for half an hour. And then, ultimately, I thought the conceit was cool, so I was sufficiently curious.

The ending is also really strong. I like how Hudson feels like he has taken control again, until he finds out he hasn’t. It leads to a satisfying, even if upsetting, conclusion.

So it’s the middle third that I wish had gone differently. I just didn’t find the visualization of his journey very interesting. You can kind of guess where the story is going, so you really need some strong character stuff and character connections in that build up to sustain the film. I think Seconds stumbles in that middle third.

Once again, glad I saw this. It wasn’t even a movie I had heard of till a couple weeks ago.

Calling resourceful Mofos. I haven’t been able to track down A Man And A Woman or Forbidden Games.

Any help is appreciated

I like the set-up to the conceit quite a bit. [...] The ending is also really strong.[...] So it’s the middle third that I wish had gone differently.
Seconds has an incredibly strong opening, and a satisfying conclusion. The problem lies with the film's second act, which feels overly long and unrewarding to watch.
I saw Seconds before it was disqualified from the 2nd Science Fiction HoF, and given the above quotes, we seem to have had almost the exact same reaction to the film haha.

Glad you enjoyed the good parts of it.

I saw Seconds before it was disqualified from the 2nd Science Fiction HoF, and given the above quotes, we seem to have had almost the exact same reaction to the film haha.

Glad you enjoyed the good parts of it.
That’s kind of crazy actually

Seconds is one of my favorites. I like how the middle third acts both as an escapist fantasy and a claustrophobic environment where you're constantly being monitored at the same time. I don't know that the character dynamics are strong throughout that section, but it's still able to remain compelling. The 'stomp the grapes' sequence is outstanding, in particular.

Calling resourceful Mofos. I haven’t been able to track down A Man And A Woman or Forbidden Games.

Any help is appreciated
Since you didn't rate Seconds as high as I hoped, I won't do it.

Jk links sent

I was not all that impressed with Collateral, but I saw it at the drive-in so I had other things going on.

When I joined MoFo, Mrs. Miniver was one of the few classics I had seen besides Hitchcock and I was a fan. 11 years later and I remember nothing.

Watched Seconds for the 60's countdown and liked it a lot.

So I watched Ms Miniver in April going through BP winners gave it a 4, and remember absolutely nothing about it. Awesome...
That made me laugh...and that happens to me all the time, in fact it just happened. I just read your review of Seconds and I know I seen it and I know it stars Rock Hudson but that's all I can remember of it. Luckily for me I wrote a review of it in The 2nd Science Fiction HoF hosted by Cosmic. Here's a link to the members reviews including mine:
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...09#post2007009

I seem to agree with what you just wrote about it.

Catch Me If You Can review coming tonight. My god, I feel like I can't keep up with you all anymore.
I know what you mean! Last night I looked at what everyone has watched so far and Cosmic and Sean are just about done. I need to get watching more myself.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I know what you mean! Last night I looked at what everyone has watched so far and Cosmic and Sean are just about done. I need to get watching more myself.
I guess it doesn't really matter in reality since we have until December.

I guess it doesn't really matter in reality since we have until December.
The sooner we finish, the sooner we start the next!
With any luck I should be done by the end of this month and I'm looking forward to watching all of my movie choices...So far I'm 3 watched and 3 liked...I'm a happy camper

Naked Lunch (1991)

I think of David Cronenberg much in the way I see David Lynch, a director whose films are mostly must see and is a little out there. Most of his films I like quite a bit, while a couple I love and a couple I don't care for. I would put Naked Lynch towards the bottom of his filmography but it's still worth watching and it's definitely unique.

I mostly prefer movies that aren't too weird, and this one is so weird that I couldn't even explain it without taking a lot of time and going into detail. The first thing I noticed and what I really liked was, despite all of the lunacy, it was in the style of noir. I've never seen anything quite like it. Cool to see Peter Weller in the lead as there's not a lot I've seen him in. Some other recognizable faces made their marks as well. It's a pretty disgusting film but not in the usual way. These bugs are just damn gross. I think I would have liked it a lot more if it were about 90 minutes rather than almost 2 hours. I think The Fly is even less than that and I see it as Cronenberg's masterpiece. Picking a film of his was a smart choice for me. Not quite a hit but not a miss either.

+

Naked Lunch (1991)
...Cool to see Peter Weller in the lead as there's not a lot I've seen him in.
I thought I liked Naked Lunch better than I did but I see I only gave it a 2/5 rating. I'd probably rate it higher today. For me the best part was Peter Weller, I think he's got lots of screen presences and I've watched movies just to see him in them. One of these days I'm noming another Peter Weller film, maybe even two,

I won't post my review of Naked Lunch but I did write this bit:
I actually did like the scenes of Weller's talking alien-bug typewriter. That was the best part of the film as the typewriter serves as a narrator and Weller's subconscious too, giving him a chance to interact with himself.