Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

Sean I'm surprised you hadn't seen The Innocents before but if I listed all the classics that I haven't seen, you'd be shocked. The Innocents is one film I had watched before coming to MoFo. Like you I'm not a big horror guy except if it's old stuff done with atmosphere, instead of meat cleavers

I loved The Innocents so much that afterwards I watched a couple more film versions of it, one being called by the original novels name The Turn of the Screw, it was neat in that the ending was different than The Innocents.
We had similar thoughts about it's resembles to Rebecca. From my review:
The Innocents has more in common with films like Rebecca (1940) or Wuthering Heights (1939) than it does with other early 1960s horror films.

The Innocents:

Horror is always a risky choice for me, but if you are going to go that route pick a mood poem with some spiritual elements. The Innocents delivers on that front. Certainly put me in mind of something like Rebecca. I enjoyed Kerr here, she portrays the innocent but world wise nanny very well. The child actors aren’t bad either. The movie looks stellar. I’m always hesitant when I have to watch things on you tube, but this looked good. I guess my issues probably stem from not enough character development, really of all the characters. I like ambiguity in movies but I also need something to latch on to. Otherwise my mind wanders a bit and I’m not super invested in outcomes. That was the case here. Pretty good flick, but isn’t going to compete with some really stellar ones I have seen so far.

This was my nomination for you(and the one that won a Hall of Fame). I disagree about the character development thing though part of what I love about the film is that it's spooky atmospheric ghost story but it's also an indictment of sexual abuse and repression. You have all of these issues that are bubbling right underneath the surface so that you can interoperate it however you wish.

The Innocents was actually my back-up pick for sean in case my first choice was already taken. When I saw someone else (Siddon I know now) nominated it for him, I thought sean would probably like it more than what I actually went with. Since he didn't exactly rave about The Innocents, I'm a little more concerned about my choice now.

I've watched two movies in this HoF (Life is Sweet and Chop Shop) in which part of the story revolves around a main character making a very questionable decision by buying an old food truck.

Ratatouille (2007)
Directed by: Brad Bird
Starring: Patton Oswalt, Lou Romano, Ian Holm

I vastly prefer the look of traditional animation methods over computer-generated images, but even I have to admit that Ratatouille is a fantastic looking film. While the characters, both human and rodent, are highly stylized, many of the buildings have a more classic aesthetic, and the food is typically far more realistic in appearance, sometimes even approaching photo-realism. This artistic blend might sound jarring on paper, but they actually come together quite nicely. Perhaps an appropriate analogy would be that it's an unusual recipe masterfully executed by a talented chef.

Despite being impressed with the opening shots, the first fifteen minutes or so of the film didn't fully interest me. However the introduction of the other main characters, and the shift in focus to Remy and Linguini learning to cook and work together had me fairly engaged. I don't particularly care for the culinary arts, but there's something about cooking shows I find compelling, so whenever people were working in the kitchen, I was extra attentive.

The film started to lose me a bit approaching the final act, but that all changed when the restaurant had to cook for the critic. I absolutely loved every second of that. All the rats, the health inspector, the roller-skating – it all greatly amused me. Peter O'Toole's performance as Ego was amazing, and I could listen to him read his lines all day. The ending was almost too sweet for my taste, but considering it's effectively the dessert course to Ratatouille's heart-warming meal, perhaps those lingering flavours are just the right ones after all.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	ratatouille.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	88653  

I forgot the opening line.
I watched The Innocents for the first time earlier this year, and thought it was good, but it's not yet a favourite of mine - I think it's the kind of film I need to see twice, the second time knowing what mood I should be in for it to have maximum impact.

I bought a used copy of Ratatouille on Blu-Ray today for $4 - mostly because it turned up on the 2000s Countdown and I want to be able to tick it off the list, which I've nearly finished.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I’m A Fugitive Of The Chain Gang

Unfortunately this is the first hall rec that really didn’t work for me at all. When I feel the age of an older film it usually is about the pacing. That was certainly the case here. It’s just a jump from plot point to plot point. At numerous times those jumps are marked by simply watching the pages of a calendar fall to the floor. I really don’t like that device at all.

When I thought this film would work for me is when we are spending time with the chain gang. There is so little time spent there I really didn’t get to enjoy it.

It’s a bummer. I don’t like being this negative, but this one was a let down.

I’m A Fugitive Of The Chain Gang, that was in the 1930s HoF Part 2 and finished mid pack. A few of the members had the same reaction as you. I first seen this 20 years ago and was blown away but on the second watch I only liked it but not loved it.

Still a great film from a cinema historical viewpoint as it was written by a man who was still on the lam during the making of the film and it helped to bring about changes with corrupt prison systems especially in the south. Paul Muni was the man back in the early 30s, today we don't hear much about him. My favorite character was Glenda Farrell, oh she was so wicked!