Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
I nominated Wings of Desire for Allaby - I specifically thought he'd like it. I saw it for the first time not too long ago, along with Alice in the Cities, Wrong Move and Kings of the Road - and I finally caught up with Paris, Texas again only a week or two ago. There's not much else of Wim Wenders I've seen, including The American Friend, which I was curious about - but now apprehensive of. I watched The Million Dollar Hotel quite a while back, and thought it wonderfully weird - but at the same time I wasn't quite sure where I stood with it. It's one I really want to see again.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
[quote=Citizen Rules;2328223]
I'll be watching Paris, Texas, in this HoF...I watched Paris, Texas for the first time in PR IV, I was impressed. I think you might feel the same. I'll be interested in reading your review of it.

I must be the only MoFo who doesn't like Peter Falk I can't help but think of him as Columbo.
Kinda looking forward to that experience myself and most likely WILL BE impressed.

And I ALWAYS see Falk as Columbo, still love him, though. lol

I nominated Wings of Desire for Allaby - I specifically thought he'd like it. I saw it for the first time not too long ago, along with Alice in the Cities, Wrong Move and Kings of the Road - and I finally caught up with Paris, Texas again only a week or two ago. There's not much else of Wim Wenders I've seen, including The American Friend, which I was curious about - but now apprehensive of. I watched The Million Dollar Hotel quite a while back, and thought it wonderfully weird - but at the same time I wasn't quite sure where I stood with it. It's one I really want to see again.
You were right, I did like it! Good pick.

Kinda looking forward to that experience myself and most likely WILL BE impressed.

And I ALWAYS see Falk as Columbo, still love him, though. lol
I was more of a Starsky and Hutch fan. Don't think I watched Columbo much, though I'm pretty sure I seen it.

Wings of Desire is one of my favorites as well. I watched it earlier this year and it's still my favorite first-time watch of this year.

Wings of Desire (1987). Directed by Wim Wenders and starring Bruno Ganz, Otto Sander, Solveig Dommartin, and Peter Falk. I had been meaning to watch this film for a while now, so I'm glad it was nominated for me. This is a beautifully shot film with wonderful cinematography. I really liked the look of the film and the use of black and white and then colour for some scenes. Wings of Desire is really well written and feels very poetic for much of the dialogue. The performances are quite good as well. The standouts for me were Bruno Ganz and Peter Falk, but there were no weak performances in the film. Wenders is a director I respect, who is capable of achieving greatness. Although I really liked Wings of Desire, I would rank it 4th out of the 5 films I have seen by him. His masterpiece, in my personal opinion, is Paris, Texas, which is on my list of all time favourite films. My second favourite of his films is the wonderful Alice in the Cities, followed by Wrong Move. The only film I didn't like by Wenders was The American Friend. Wings of Desire was a good pick for me. My wild guess is that Cricket picked it for me. Good job, whoever it was.
You should check out Kings of the Road as well. It's also great.

Not a big fan of Wenders...but I keep thinking of nominating Pina(2011)...sadly it's not on any lists so I couldn't do that.

Body Heat is a personal favorite (they actually shot it in the freezing cold). Kasdan never did another noir which is a shame because he was really good at them. I love the little details in the film...that Hurt character is clearly taking advantage of poor girls (they all wear uniforms) so what happens to him in the film is somewhat justified.

Ikiru is a film I nominate all the time...it's one of my favorite Kurosawa films and in my top twenty of all-time but I decided not to nominate it this year.

I've nominated Akira before it came in last place which is a shame because it really is both an incredible science fiction film but also a great coming of age story.

Titane was okay but I think it got an awards push because of identity politics less for being a great film. Making a queer Cronenberg film is an okay idea but the pacing was all off and the second act really let me down from the first part.

You should check out Kings of the Road as well. It's also great.
I've been meaning to get around to it. I have it on blu ray as part of Criterion's Wim Wenders Road Trilogy box set.

I must be the only MoFo who doesn't like Peter Falk I can't help but think of him as Columbo.
That's a reason to like him. Columbo rocks

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
There's not much else of Wim Wenders I've seen, including The American Friend, which I was curious about - but now apprehensive of.
I really like The American Friend, for what its worth.

I always think I should watch more from Wim Wenders; the three films of his I have seen were all brilliant. Wings of Desire is great, but it took me a few tries to get into it.

I have seen 7 Wenders, and liked them all to varying degrees. Also a director for me that when I hear the name I always think I should have watched more by now. Until The End Of The World might be my favorite but Paris, Texas was great and it has been the longest time since seeing that one. American Friend is not a distant third, very good film.

The Draughtsman's Contract (1982)

British films list, and for whatever reason I was guessing it was a thriller. Not even a minute in I was saying oh no, no no no. British historical costume stuff, the most difficult type of movie for me to get into. The get ups, the hair, and the classical way of speaking; it's all a big turn off to me. Less than 10 minutes in I was sound asleep and it wasn't even dinner time. I woke up and my only thought was how the hell am I going to get through this movie. I did notice one thing, that it was directed by Peter Greenaway. I recognized the name but didn't know where I knew it from so I looked it up. He made Baby of Macon and The Cook the Thief His Wife and Her Lover, not favorites at all but there's a certain style there that interests me. I put on a different link because my first was slow to buffer, and I started over from the beginning. Subtitles came on and I left them on. Suddenly everything was more clear and I was engaged.

The classical way of talking that I usually hate was now entertaining because it was sassy and humorous. I was curious where the story was going and from there it seemed as though it was a darkly funny and mildly erotic film. A body is found and it went into a different direction until it reached it's surprising and somewhat shocking climax. It probably shouldn't have been a surprise given that I've seen those other two films but it was. This is a very detailed and purposeful film that looks good, has fine performances, and a great score. I loved the story! It's still a historical costume film, but given that, I think I got a good amount out of it thanks to it's differences from most other films like it.

The Draughtsman's Contract (1982)

British films list, and for whatever reason I was guessing it was a thriller. Not even a minute in I was saying oh no, no no no. British historical costume stuff, the most difficult type of movie for me to get into. The get ups, the hair, and the classical way of speaking; it's all a big turn off to me. Less than 10 minutes in I was sound asleep and it wasn't even dinner time. I woke up and my only thought was how the hell am I going to get through this movie. I did notice one thing, that it was directed by Peter Greenaway. I recognized the name but didn't know where I knew it from so I looked it up. He made Baby of Macon and The Cook the Thief His Wife and Her Lover, not favorites at all but there's a certain style there that interests me. I put on a different link because my first was slow to buffer, and I started over from the beginning. Subtitles came on and I left them on. Suddenly everything was more clear and I was engaged.

The classical way of talking that I usually hate was now entertaining because it was sassy and humorous. I was curious where the story was going and from there it seemed as though it was a darkly funny and mildly erotic film. A body is found and it went into a different direction until it reached it's surprising and somewhat shocking climax. It probably shouldn't have been a surprise given that I've seen those other two films but it was. This is a very detailed and purposeful film that looks good, has fine performances, and a great score. I loved the story! It's still a historical costume film, but given that, I think I got a good amount out of it thanks to it's differences from most other films like it.

This was my nomination and frankly I wasn't a huge fan of the film..but I felt like this will be a surprise because it's just a dark comedy about terrible people. And it definitely improves on second and third viewings. But I'm glad you liked it...it was a risk.

Just finished watching Night of the Hunter. Not entirely sure what to make of it, honestly. It wasn't at all the kind of film I was expecting.
Same first time I saw it. For me maybe the most egregious “that’s not a noir” noir I have seen.

I haven’t even heard of the movie Cricket watched. I like costume dramas so it sounds like I need to get on some Greenway.

I was more of a Starsky and Hutch fan. Don't think I watched Columbo much, though I'm pretty sure I seen it.
HUGE fan of both. Watched just about all of the really. I remember NBC had a line up of detective shows as a staple like the Movie of the Night with McCloud and others.

Just finished watching Night of the Hunter. Not entirely sure what to make of it, honestly. It wasn't at all the kind of film I was expecting.
I had that reaction too. Very happy to have finally seen it but it did kind if catch me unawares as it were.

The Night of the Hunter (1955)
Directed by: Charles Laughton
Starring: Robert Mitchum, Billy Chapin, Lillian Gish

From a visual standpoint, Night of the Hunter is an incredibly intriguing film. It frequently presents its viewers with striking imagery, imaginative camera angles, and fascinating compositions. Partial sets engulfed in shadow, and contrast-heavy lightning techniques are clearly inspired by German Expressionism, a style I always find beautiful. So it really is a shame that the film is plagued by strange editing choices, and awkward pacing.

If I hadn't been watching a Criterion release, I honestly would've thought that parts of the film were missing. Had all existing reels of the film been damaged beyond restoration or repair, I trust that they would've at least put a disclaimer in at the start. Since that wasn't the case, I have to assume the choppy editing, and huge leaps in time and characterization I witnessed were all intentional. The tone is also all over the place, to the point that my room mate asked if I was watching two different films.

Religion is featured throughout, and I was never certain what impression it was supposed to leave. Early on I was worried it was supposed to be sincere, because it seemed so antiquated, even considering the time the film was made, but I was relieved when its presentation shifted to being a justification for horrific behaviour. However later in the film Ms Cooper was also preaching bible verses, but there's no distinction made between how her faith is meant to be perceived in comparison to the cult-like townspeople from the beginning. Because of that, the film's messaging felt incredibly confused.

Along that same vein, I could never quite get a grip on Robert Mitchum's character, or even his performance for that matter. There are some scenes where he is impressively menacing, but they're retroactively ruined by other parts of the film where he's a hilariously incompetent villain. In between those two extremes, he's occasionally charismatic, but never to the point where I'd believe everyone falls for his charade. I still can't decide if he did a good job or not, but given my issues with the rest of the film, the problem might just be the material he had to work with.

I laughed on a number of occasions, but never for a reason that anyone involved with making The Night of the Hunter would consider a compliment. I did enjoy the cinematography, and the film's unusual style did manage to keep me interested the entire time, but sections that felt like a skipping DVD, scene changes that gave tonal whiplash, and Powell cartoonishly running away scared, shouting that he'll be back at nightfall weigh the film down so much it's hard to have a positive overall opinion of it. I really want to like this more than I ultimately did, but I think the scales are just too unbalanced for me.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	night.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	88622