Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

I watched Au Revoir Les Enfants (Goodbye, Children) in the WWII HoF, I just read my review and apparently I loved it....
I was knocked out by this, what a great film! I had never heard of it but as soon as the film started I could tell it was going to be special. The director Louis Malle does everything right.

I kept expecting the same old gimmicks or tired archetypes that most movies rely on, but thank goodness not here. This is an intelligent, well crafted, controlled film. It never goes over the top, and never insults the audiences intelligence. It doesn't rely on sensationalism or spectacle to tell it's story...
Haven't seen Open Your Eyes but it sounds good I did watch Vanilla Sky and liked it, and I'm due for a rewatch. Oh and glad to see The Red Shoes get a positive reaction, I read that The Red Shoes was one of Martin Scorsese's favorite films.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The American President

As I mentioned before, I've been watching a lot of The West Wing lately (I'm just that far behind the times when it comes to TV...) and The American President, also written by Aaron Sorkin, is often described as a kind of test run for the series, so I was really pleased to see this show up in my nominations as I was really curious about it. It's really quite similar in a lot of ways (some of the cast, some of the issues, even some of the names reappear in TWW ) and yet kind of West Wing-lite overall.

The American President focuses on a romantic relationship between Michael Douglas's widowed President and Annette Bening's lobbyist. (As a couple, they look slightly like the Clintons - or maybe that's just what everyone in politics in the mid 90s looked like). I really liked the premise; in a way it's like an American version of the girl-meets-prince fantasy concept... their first date at a state dinner, another date interrupted by an international crisis, all carried out through the disapproving lens of press scrutiny. The romance didn't quite work for me... I guess what you find romantic can be subjective, but it was all a bit too straightforward. I thought there needed to be more chemistry and more obstacles. It didn't quite seem plausible that everyone would be so disapproving over their relationship.

There was some smart dialogue and it was well acted but it wasn't a good looking film by any means, I thought it could have been better, visually. I would have liked it to have made more of the supporting characters - one of the strengths of The West Wing is its ensemble cast - but maybe that would have made the film too long for what it is.

Altogether, I didn't find it entirely satisfying but I did enjoy watching it and thought it was a good nom for me. I am absolutely no good at guessing who nominated what... especially this early... I'm thinking either Allaby or Wyldesyde?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Au Revoir Les Enfants, A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night and Body Heat are all fantastic but I didn't nominate any of them this time around. A Girl Walks Home... was one I considered for a few people though.

It's too late to write anything about it today, but I just finished watching Heathers. I thought Winona Ryder still looked quite youthful in Stranger Things, but man, seeing her so much younger was kind of startling haha.

The American President

As I mentioned before, I've been watching a lot of The West Wing lately (I'm just that far behind the times when it comes to TV...) and The American President, also written by Aaron Sorkin, is often described as a kind of test run for the series, so I was really pleased to see this show up in my nominations as I was really curious about it. It's really quite similar in a lot of ways (some of the cast, some of the issues, even some of the names reappear in TWW ) and yet kind of West Wing-lite overall.

The American President focuses on a romantic relationship between Michael Douglas's widowed President and Annette Bening's lobbyist. (As a couple, they look slightly like the Clintons - or maybe that's just what everyone in politics in the mid 90s looked like). I really liked the premise; in a way it's like an American version of the girl-meets-prince fantasy concept... their first date at a state dinner, another date interrupted by an international crisis, all carried out through the disapproving lens of press scrutiny. The romance didn't quite work for me... I guess what you find romantic can be subjective, but it was all a bit too straightforward. I thought there needed to be more chemistry and more obstacles. It didn't quite seem plausible that everyone would be so disapproving over their relationship.

There was some smart dialogue and it was well acted but it wasn't a good looking film by any means, I thought it could have been better, visually. I would have liked it to have made more of the supporting characters - one of the strengths of The West Wing is its ensemble cast - but maybe that would have made the film too long for what it is.

Altogether, I didn't find it entirely satisfying but I did enjoy watching it and thought it was a good nom for me. I am absolutely no good at guessing who nominated what... especially this early... I'm thinking either Allaby or Wyldesyde?
I’ve seen The American President once years ago but it didn’t leave much of an impression. I wasn’t the one who nominated it.

I went to the theater to see American President with my grandmother. I remember being surprised that I liked it a good bit. Obviously a little overdue for a rewatch though.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I was never a big fan of Kathleen Turner though she was perfect for the role. I guess I don't find her attractive or sexy though she is, does that makes sense?
You do know she voiced Jessica Rabbit, right?

Been quite a while since I saw Body Heat, and like you, CR, I rather enjoyed that it was inspired by instead of a flat-out remake.
A solid sizzler of a film and Turner's debut, if I remember correctly.

I loved Predestination the first time I saw it, and it was even better when I rewatched it a few months ago.

On a different note, did anyone else think that in the bar scenes, Sarah Snook looked like a young Leonardo DiCaprio?

lol I did

I loved Predestination the first time I saw it, and it was even better when I rewatched it a few months ago.

On a different note, did anyone else think that in the bar scenes, Sarah Snook looked like a young Leonardo DiCaprio?

I can see the resemblance to DiCaprio. When I watched Predestination I thought Sara Snook looked like Tilda Swinton.

It's been awhile but I thought The American President was pretty good, but I picked something else for Thursday that she won't be crazy about. Nobody has watched one of my nominations yet as per usual lol

Have not seen Open Your Eyes, Wendy and Lucy, or Life is Sweet.

LOVED A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night when @Thursday Next nominated it in, I believe, the Women Directors HoF. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, @CosmicRunaway.

It's been a while since I saw The Red Shoes, and I was very much blown away by it. Like the amazing theater sets for the dances. Just astounding. And a fun lil bit of trivia that caught my eye was that Ivan, played by Robert Helpmann,

also played the Child Catcher from one of my favorite childhood films, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Sorry to hear that Au Revoir Les Enfants didn't work for you, @rauldc14; I truly thought it would. Didn't nominate it for you, though, should you be wondering. It was nominated for me in the 4th Personal Rec HoF, and I quite enjoyed it. Wasn't head over heels, but I imagine I could very well be with another watch.

Haven't seen Blow Out since the nineties when I was an utter DePalma fanboy. Should try to rectify that. I do remember it wasn't in my upper favorites of DePalma.

It's also been some time since seeing The American President, which I remember finding rather adorable. And I DO love Annette Bening in just about anything I've seen her in.

Brief Encounter (1945)

Laura Jesson: It's awfully easy to lie when you know that you're trusted implicitly. So very easy, and so very degrading.

This was my original first film and, at the last minute, switched, so I watched it the day after.
And Oh My Lord, what a heartwarming, beautifully woven tale with exquisite cinematography. I had to look several times on IMDb, shocked and appalled there was not one award for it. Or even a nomination! What-what-WHAT!?
I believe this is my second film written by playwright Noel Coward. The first is Blythe Spirit. The clever witticisms and barbs of that delightful film are given a poetic elegance as we listen in on the personal thoughts of a simple, common, and very happily married woman (Celia Johnson) that meets a similarly happily married man (Trevor Howard) and find themselves thoroughly in love with one another.
What sets this apart from the usual film of betrayal and passion is the nobility of the characters. As well as their regular appearance of them and yet, with Coward's words, the actors' sublime performances, and the exquisite camerawork, it is impossible NOT to be drawn in and blissfully engaged.

While it is forever stated to the point of annoyance, I must say the ending IS the most romantic thing of true, real love I have ever witnessed on celluloid.
WARNING: "The realization that" spoilers below
Laura's narration was her confessing to her husband and, without a pause, without a change in his demeanor or expression of adoration, tells her, "You've been away for some time. Thank you for coming back to me." and they embrace.

I. Was. Weepy.

YAYYYY

The trick is not minding
The American President

It was me. I wasn’t sure what to pick for you, so I went with my usual “I really like this movie so I’m hoping she does as well. At least a middle of the pack nomination. Please?”

I have watched Brief Encounter twice now. First time was for a HOF I believe. Don’t think I gave it high marks that first watch but it stuck in my head and I really liked it a lot second round. David Lean pretty much rocks.

I forgot the opening line.
I saw Brief Encounter for the first time only a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was marvelous.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Tank Girl (1995)

I was surprised this was picked for me, but not disappointed since I'm interested in every single movie on the lists. It was different than I had expected. I knew it was comedic, but for some reason I thought it was about a girl who stole a tank in modern America. Instead it's a post apocalyptic Sci-Fi set in Australia. It's 5.3 IMDb rating has got to be close to the lowest of any movie in the list section, but I can understand why it has some popularity.

I've never liked Lori Petty but she was perfect for this movie. She really dove into the role and seemed to be having a blast, as did everyone else in the cast. Naomi Watts was adorable as usual, and I always like Ice-T and Malcolm McDowell. The Rippers, which were formed from the DNA of both men and kangaroos were very cool, but I thought they went a little overboard at times with the animation. The soundtrack was great. It's a funky, sassy, and fun movie, even if I can't say it's very good. It really should be like The Rocky Horror Picture Show with midnight showings and audience participation. It's that kind of movie.