Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

Blow Out:

I don't have much of a history with DePalma at this point. I have seen a few of his movies, but none of them have left a big impression with me one way or the other. That may seem kind of surprising considering one of the movies I have watched is Scarface. That movie really seems to divide people. I just found it to be a decent crime flick, elevated a bit by Pacino. Probably knocked down a notch or two in mind because it feels a little try hard in its bigger moments. Certainly a mixed bag.

Anyhow, not here to talk about Scarface. I had heard that Hitch influenced DePalma greatly and Blow Out brings that diagnosis firmly into the light. As Hitch moved into the 70's late in his life, and directed things like Frenzy, you could tell that he had a smutty side that had been just waiting to come out. DePalma takes that baton and runs with it, although Blow Out always feels just trashy enough. I like that about it. It's a seedy movie and isn't afraid to lean into that. Exhibit one is the opening, which I found to be an absolutely brilliant entrance into this world, even if I would never actually want to sit down and watch that movie.

DePalma is an expert with the camera. When he decides for it to be very active, when he goes for close-ups, when he keeps us at a distance. This is really an art and, often, what separates the great directors form the decent ones in my opinion. I love everything about the way this movies looks. The studio where Travolta works is perfect. Another brilliant decision is the length of time DePalma chooses to spend with the processes Travolta is using for editing his sounds and visuals. A lesser film would certainly spend less time with this since it doesn't propel the plot quickly enough. These are some of the cooler moments in the film for me.

Two things keep this from being a perfect film for me. I would have cast someone other than Allen. It may be mean to say, but I just flat out didn't find her very good or compelling. Especially when most of her scenes are matched up with Travolta, who I always find compelling even when he chooses bad roles. She also has a couple great scenes with Dennis Franz, who frankly, just out acts her big time.

My other issues is a subplot involving Lithgow that I won't spoil, because anyone who has seen the movie knows exactly what I'm talking about. It just felt totally unnecessary. Lithgow is great though, and super creepy.

Even though I could tell where the final scene was going to end up. I still enjoyed that immensely. Everything tied in very nicely, and it felt very appropriate for Travolta's character. Glad I finally got to see Blow Out. Probably going to be hard to beat for my top spot.

I have no clue who nominated it. I would guess Cricket because it seems like his kind of movie, but I can also see him not thinking it' not quite right for me. I will guess Siddon.

Nope, Blowout is a good movie but not a top movie for me...it's actually not hard to find my pick for you

Blow Out
I will guess Siddon.
I guess Siddon too, which then makes me think he chose Body Heat for me.

So after reading your review of Blow Out, I wouldn't mind if someone picked that for me in PR7. I like Travolta and I think John Lithgow is one of the most effective actors to grace the screen. I'd agree that Nancy Allen is not the greatest actress, but I always thought she was cute in the 1980s. I never seen Blow Out but like Body Heat I've heard of it ever since it first came out.

EDIT: Sean and I were wrong Siddon didn't pick Blow Out.

Blow Out:

I don't have much of a history with DePalma at this point. I have seen a few of his movies, but none of them have left a big impression with me one way or the other. That may seem kind of surprising considering one of the movies I have watched is Scarface. That movie really seems to divide people. I just found it to be a decent crime flick, elevated a bit by Pacino. Probably knocked down a notch or two in mind because it feels a little try hard in its bigger moments. Certainly a mixed bag.

Anyhow, not here to talk about Scarface. I had heard that Hitch influenced DePalma greatly and Blow Out brings that diagnosis firmly into the light. As Hitch moved into the 70's late in his life, and directed things like Frenzy, you could tell that he had a smutty side that had been just waiting to come out. DePalma takes that baton and runs with it, although Blow Out always feels just trashy enough. I like that about it. It's a seedy movie and isn't afraid to lean into that. Exhibit one is the opening, which I found to be an absolutely brilliant entrance into this world, even if I would never actually want to sit down and watch that movie.

DePalma is an expert with the camera. When he decides for it to be very active, when he goes for close-ups, when he keeps us at a distance. This is really an art and, often, what separates the great directors form the decent ones in my opinion. I love everything about the way this movies looks. The studio where Travolta works is perfect. Another brilliant decision is the length of time DePalma chooses to spend with the processes Travolta is using for editing his sounds and visuals. A lesser film would certainly spend less time with this since it doesn't propel the plot quickly enough. These are some of the cooler moments in the film for me.

Two things keep this from being a perfect film for me. I would have cast someone other than Allen. It may be mean to say, but I just flat out didn't find her very good or compelling. Especially when most of her scenes are matched up with Travolta, who I always find compelling even when he chooses bad roles. She also has a couple great scenes with Dennis Franz, who frankly, just out acts her big time.

My other issues is a subplot involving Lithgow that I won't spoil, because anyone who has seen the movie knows exactly what I'm talking about. It just felt totally unnecessary. Lithgow is great though, and super creepy.

Even though I could tell where the final scene was going to end up. I still enjoyed that immensely. Everything tied in very nicely, and it felt very appropriate for Travolta's character. Glad I finally got to see Blow Out. Probably going to be hard to beat for my top spot.

I have no clue who nominated it. I would guess Cricket because it seems like his kind of movie, but I can also see him not thinking it' not quite right for me. I will guess Siddon.
It was probably that bearded Canadian guy who nominated it. I think his name is Steve. I heard he has Blow Out on Criterion blu ray and thinks it is a great film. 😉

It was probably that bearded Canadian guy who nominated it. I think his name is Steve. I heard he has Blow Out on Criterion blu ray and thinks it is a great film. 😉
So does that mean you picked Body Heat for me? It's OK you can tell

So does that mean you picked Body Heat for me? It's OK you can tell
Nope! I picked Showgirls for you (even though it is not on any of the lists).

Nope! I picked Showgirls for you (even though it is not on any of the lists).
Seriously I'd like to see Showgirls again. I seen that at the theater when it came out and liked it...I keep hoping someone will nom it in an HoF.

Seriously I'd like to see Showgirls again. I seen that at the theater when it came out and liked it...I keep hoping someone will nom it in an HoF.
I thought Showgirls was terrible. Maybe I will nominate it for a future hall of infamy.

Always guess the Canuck
Oh, that was a typo in my reply to you about Blow Out. I was trying to say: Nancy Allen was not the greatest, but I left out not...good grief, I need to proof read.

BTW you said you seen most of Mike Leigh's filmography. Did you see Happy Go Lucky? I thought that looked interesting and I also like Sally Hawkins so I tried to watch it twice and shut it off after 15 minutes both times as I wasn't believing the dialogue between the girl friends (it seemed so contrived). I'm just wondering if the film gets better?

Oh, that was a typo in my reply to you about Blow Out. I was trying to say: Nancy Allen was not the greatest, but I left out not...good grief, I need to proof read.

BTW you said you seen most of Mike Leigh's filmography. Did you see Happy Go Lucky? I thought that looked interesting and I also like Sally Hawkins so I tried to watch it twice and shut it off after 15 minutes both times as I wasn't believing the dialogue between the girl friends (it seemed so contrived). I'm just wondering if the film gets better?
I really enjoyed it. I think Sally Hawkins is fantastic. I don’t think it would get better for you though. The movie is definitely coming from her point of view, so everything is pretty heightened. It’s been a while but my guess is that’s what was bothering you.

I really enjoyed it. I think Sally Hawkins is fantastic. I don’t think it would get better for you though. The movie is definitely coming from her point of view, so everything is pretty heightened. It’s been a while but my guess is that’s what was bothering you.
Thanks. I mean I could watch it of course, I just didn't get into it, so didn't stay with it.

Blow Out:

Nice. Blow Out is my favorite De Palma.

De Palma is one of my favorite directors, with my favorite of his being Carlito's Way. I've been a big Blow Out fan since I saw it at the cinema when I was 10. That may sound crazy but then I saw Carrie when I was 5. I picked about 10 nominations for each member, and Blow Out was not 1 of them for Sean. I am not surprised he loved it, but I wouldn't have predicted it either. I was able to go with my first choice for Sean fortunately. 3 of my possibilities for Sean were picked by other members for Allaby, Siddon, and Wyldesyde, so Sean if you look at what they have to watch, you'll be watching at least 1 of those eventually.

I believe I watched A Girl Walks Home Alone One Night for a horror HoF. Not really my type of horror, but it was gooood.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Au Revoir Les Enfants

Given the subject matter, I feel bad for the fact that I truly couldn't connect all too much with this film, but unfortunately that's the reality of it. Like other Malle films that I've seen, I have a hard time connecting with the characters that he gives us. I couldn't feel too strong of a bond between any of the characters. The film just seems somewhat empty to me. Perhaps it's because I really knew nothing about it going in as well.

The film looks good and that's it's strength for me. There's a lot of pretty cool shots as well. Quite a rather short review but there really isn't a whole lot to talk about on my end.

Open Your Eyes (1997) I had been meaning to watch this for a while now. I had already seen the English language remake Vanilla Sky and really enjoyed that one. I heard a lot of positive things about Open Your Eyes and most people prefer it over the remake. Now that I have seen both, I personally like the remake a little more, but I did really enjoy Open Your Eyes. This is a smart and well written film, ambitious and interesting, it explores some cool ideas. Performances were good, especially from Eduardo Noriega and Penélope Cruz. The film was well directed by Alejandro Amenábar and out of the four films I have seen by him, this is my favourite. Open Your Eyes is an entertaining and satisfying film. Glad I finally got around to seeing it. My guess is that Thursday nominated it for me. Good nomination!

Au Revoir Les Enfants was picked for me in one of these things and I thought it was pretty great. I figured it was a great pick for Raul even though it didn't initially occur to me. I'm surprised by that one.

I really didn't care for Open Your Eyes or Vanilla Sky.