Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I have wright’s Cyrano on my watchlist for a few months. Hopefully be checking it out this week. I assume you haven’t seen yet?
I was excited when I saw it was Peter Dinklage (whom I love) playing Cyrano, but then I saw it was a musical, which sort of threw me off. This is weird since I do enjoy musicals, but I watched one song, can't remember which, on youtube, and decided to forgo it.
I could change my mind in the future on it. When you see it, let me know what you thought. It might convince me to give it a shot.

[b]Alphaville (1965) - I've only seen a couple of Godard films and didn't like either of them, but this has always looked fascinating, so I'm intrigued to see it.
I've had a similar experience with Goddard but I've been VERY curious to see this one so quite intrigued with what you think.
Mrs. Miniver (1942) - I know the name, but that's about it. Determined to watch all the Oscar winners, though, so good pick.
Saw this earlier this year and fell in love with Greer Garson's portrayal. I believe you may too.
Nightmare Alley (1947) - I think this is the one I'm most excited about. I've seen the recent remake but never seen this version.
Curious to see how you react having seen the grittier (uncensored?) remake first.
I was VERY impressed with the remake and consider the original an excellent film.

Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
A young boy and his little sister struggle to survive in Japan during World War II.
Animation is usually a risky choice for me, however sometimes I've loved them. I have wanted to see this one, so + for that.
Even odds choice.
A true heartbreaker of a film but in such a beautiful way. I had hesitated for so long due to the sadness factor but was very happy to finally see it. I hope you enjoy this one.

Raising Arizona (1987)
When a childless couple of an ex-con and an ex-cop decide to help themselves to one of another family's quintuplets, their lives become more complicated than they anticipated.
I was hoping this one would be picked for me. I think people have avoided well known films as you might guess I avoided them, truth is I just never got around to them.
[font=Arial Narrow][b]High expectation choice.
Glad to see a Coen film that was lacking from your viewing is being rectified.

As earlier remarked there are my nom and two previously attempted noms picked by others in your list I am very curious about and since you want such things mentioned, I haven't commented on the two. Or have I?? ::evil laughter::

I was sos-so about Roxanne when it came out and the few times I re-watched it. Though a lot of that had to do with my love for Jose Ferrer's 1953's Cyrano de Bergerac, which until a year ago was the one and only version I loved until seeing Gerard Depardieu's 1990 version...
Big fan of Jose Ferrer though I haven't seen many of his films. He has this commanding screen presences with that voice that projects like a trained stage actor. I'd like to see his Cyrano de Bergerac sometime.

That little double-shot happened a few times with several of you. Except for a triple shot for @Citizen Rules where the first two were already taken, so along with them, I'm excited to see what he thinks of my nom.
Hmm, now I'm extra curious as to what you chose for me. I'm going to guess these might have been your 3 choices (but keep it secret I don't want to know until the reveal)

The Madness of King George (1994)
T-Men (1947)

Raising Arizona...Glad to see a Coen film that was lacking from your viewing is being rectified.
Believe it or not I didn't know that was a Coen film until I read your post. I like the Coen films for the most part.

As earlier remarked there are my nom and two previously attempted noms picked by others in your list I am very curious about and since you want such things mentioned, I haven't commented on the two. Or have I?? ::evil laughter::

Big fan of Jose Ferrer though I haven't seen many of his films. He has this commanding screen presences with that voice that projects like a trained stage actor. I'd like to see his Cyrano de Bergerac sometime.

Hmm, now I'm extra curious as to what you chose for me. I'm going to guess these might have been your 3 choices (but keep it secret I don't want to know until the reveal)

The Madness of King George (1994)
T-Men (1947)
I'm the same with Ferrer. Haven't seen anything beyond his amazing rendition of Cyrano and The Emporer in Dune. Though recently, I saw him in an incredible film Ship of Fools (1965), playing a German Nationalist.

To keep things hush-hush, I will let you know AFTER the reveal if you got any of the three choices right.

I'm the same with Ferrer. Haven't seen anything beyond his amazing rendition of Cyrano and The Emporer in Dune. Though recently, I saw him in an incredible film Ship of Fools (1965), playing a German Nationalist.

To keep things hush-hush, I will let you know AFTER the reveal if you got any of the three choices right.
Also been meaning to rewatch Ship of Fools as I was exhausted when I last seen it some 10 years plus. I actually fall asleep during the movie as I was so tired. Though I'm probably more tired today having only slept 4 hours Ugh, back to work.

Also been meaning to rewatch Ship of Fools as I was exhausted when I last seen it some 10 years plus. I actually fall asleep during the movie as I was so tired. Though I'm probably more tired today having only slept 4 hours Ugh, back to work.
It's one I'm seriously considering for a General HoF.
Totally get the tired scenario. Switched to a day job from evenings this year and NEVER can get to be early enough to get a substantial amount of sleep. lol

...Switched to a day job from evenings this year and NEVER can get to be early enough to get a substantial amount of sleep. lol
You know what kept me up last night?
WARNING: "?" spoilers below
My movie choices. I was so excited to find out what they were that I started reading about them right before bed...and kept thinking about them and thinking and thinking! Plus it was hot and humid (no AC) and I jumped off the no-caffeine band wagon...so it took me a long time to get to sleep. Then I got up at 5 am, ugh.

Predestination (2014)
Directed by: Michael Spierig, Peter Spierig
Starring: Ethan Hawke, Sarah Snook, Noah Taylor

Predestination captured my attention right from its opening shots. They were so purposefully framed that I knew paying attention to small details throughout the film would reveal information that a casual viewer might initially miss. I pieced together almost every aspect of the story's “twists” quite early on, but that didn't negatively affect my enjoyment of the film in any way. Instead, I appreciated how well the film makers laid out the groundwork for those major reveals.

The visual style, atmosphere, and tone of the film all worked really well for me. Even without the aforementioned clues for attentive audiences, I would've praised the film's cinematography. The Unmarried Mother's story was rather compelling, and the performances by Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook were quite captivating. I'm not sure why, but I keep forgetting how much I like Ethan Hawke as an actor until I see him on screen again.

Based on the posters I saw before hand, and the brief “action thriller” description I had read, I expected a much different film than the thought-provoking drama Predestination delivered. So ultimately, the biggest twist for me was that it wasn't an action film at all, and I'm perfectly happy with that. If I could change anything, I wish I didn't know the film's title before I saw it, as it does remove some of the initial mystery, but that's practically impossible to do these days.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	predestination.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	88501  

Silver Streak:

Been looking forward to this one. Even the movies I haven’t loved with Wilder and Pryor have been entertaining. I really think they are great together. This was an amusing movie but I was pretty disappointed how long it was before Pryor showed up. Even then he was in it a ton. Them together was definitely the highlight for me. Although I was never bored. I like tge train setting and the chemistry between Wilder and Clayburgh was good. As much as I said about Pryor, the funniest sequence for me was at the farm. I really enjoyed that. Overall not too shabby.

I rewatched Silver Streak a few years back during a Gene Wilder marathon I had with my room mates, but for some reason I still don't remember much about it. It's strange, because I can recall Wilder and Pryor's other films together really well.

I rewatched Silver Streak a few years back during a Gene Wilder marathon I had with my room mates, but for some reason I still don't remember much about it. It's strange, because I can recall Wilder and Pryor's other films together really well.
I loved See No Evil as a teen but haven’t watched it in years. I really need to rewatch.

Predestination (2014)
Based on the posters I saw before hand, and the brief “action thriller” description I had read, I expected a much different film than the thought-provoking drama Predestination delivered. So ultimately, the biggest twist for me was that it wasn't an action film at all, and I'm perfectly happy with that.
Gbgoodies recommended Predestination to me a few years ago and I had the same reaction: At first I thought it was going to be a sci-fi action film during the opening scene. I'm not usually a fan of action films, but then like you said it changed into a more thought provoking sci fi and I liked it. I should watch it again as it's been awhile.

I've not seen Silver Streak yet but I'll probably get around to it. Last night I did see Gene Wilder in The Little Prince (1974), Wilder was real good in that as you might expect. I did see See No Evil, Hear No Evil in the PRV Comedy Edition...Link to my review

I think it was the first Personal Rec when Suspect picked Predestination for me. I was skeptical since I'm not really a Sci-Fi fan, but I enjoyed the heck out of it and it placed near the top of my ballot.

Sean watching his 2 comedies right off the bat. Yearning for laughs or just getting them out of the way? I'm big on Pryor and Wilder but never been a Silver Streak fan. More of a Stir Crazy type of guy myself.