Things that annoy you...

Tools    

I can kind of understand doctors as they probably experience so much pain, suffering, death & loss of patients, and may interpret that as a sense of futility in their purpose, but dentistry?
People hate dentists.

Veterinarians may be similar to doctors with death & loss, but it seems the joy of being able to associate with animals might be a mitigating factor?
I think it's a combination of seeing their efforts as futile and blaming themselves when they can't save patients or something else goes wrong, even if they did all they could and were not at fault. Of course this self-blaming situation isn't helped by the fact that all too often the pet owners blame the vet as well. If you look at places like Reddit, Facebook groups, etc., you'll find comment after comment about how greedy vets are and how all they care about is making a buck (a sentiment that is also often yelled at veterinary staff in person and on the phone). People forget or simply don't care that vets and their staff do care very much about pets, and usually have several of their own much loved critters, but they also have to care about keeping the business profitable so that they can stay in business and keep helping more pets and running vet clinic is expensive AF.

That's a lot more than a mere annoyance. That's one of life's awful tragedies. One that most of us, fortunately, never encounter.

So sorry to hear about your loss.
i know but its annoying to loose someone u know for while. i know very upsetting. thank you

Both preferable to neighbours who smoke neighbours though.

Not to be analytical over such a sad subject, but I find this interesting.
Just looked up suicide rates by career...
https://choicespsychotherapy.net/job...suicide-rates/

I can kind of understand doctors as they probably experience so much pain, suffering, death & loss of patients, and may interpret that as a sense of futility in their purpose, but dentistry?

Sure, there's pain involved, but most dentists don't deal with fatal situations and usually just (successfully most of the time) repair things that get people out of pain. So I'm curious as to why dentistry has a high rate of suicide.

Veterinarians may be similar to doctors with death & loss, but it seems the joy of being able to associate with animals might be a mitigating factor? (Or maybe it's the opposite and they see beyond the cuteness / cuddliness factor and view the animal kingdom in all its savagery that we, as humans, often view as unfair, unjust, random and pointless - all concepts that could contribute to suicide.)

I thought soldiers would make the top 10 (but I see police officers come in at #3)... and I thought maybe people with especially boring jobs might have an entry (and I see "financial services" come in at #5, right after veterinarians).
That's an interesting take on it. The only one I did find surprising was Electrician. Not because they shouldn't, just I couldn't think of a reason for it. Boring job isn't a reason, that's a reason to find interests elsewhere (plus I wonder if many of those stats are either people who work in insurance (who hear terrible stories and know early on they're not going to be able to help/pay and if they're working at that level aren't paid that well) or high finance. The one thing I do find which couples with lots of examples is the high pay and expectations. We're told that money and success (which are often related as the same thing) mean happiness. So, once you've accomplished them and bought the stuff to make you happy and you're not, you're a failure. Right?

Veterinarians may be similar to doctors with death & loss, but it seems the joy of being able to associate with animals might be a mitigating factor? (Or maybe it's the opposite and they see beyond the cuteness / cuddliness factor and view the animal kingdom in all its savagery that we, as humans, often view as unfair, unjust, random and pointless - all concepts that could contribute to suicide.
Being a vet must be so stressful. Even more stressful IMO are people who work for the ASPCA & such other organizations. What they go through in animal rescue is beyond all comprehension. If I had to see animal abuse, neglect & cruelty in real life (not just on Twitter) my heart would be ripped to shreds. How these good people do it is beyond me.

90% of people I see walking their dogs are great, and maybe some people have unfriendly dogs, but there's a few who have friendly dogs who are dying to meet other dogs but their owners want to stay away.

Getting more annoyed every time I leave Walmart and they ask to see my receipt. I know the person is only doing their job so I politely tell them "I'll pass".

Getting more annoyed every time I leave Walmart and they ask to see my receipt. I know the person is only doing their job so I politely tell them "I'll pass".
Yeah, that bothers me a wee bit so I usually just say, with a smile, "Damn! You caught me. I bet you didn't know that I am THE notorious cat litter thief." (My cart usually has three or four 25-lb bags.)

Yeah, that bothers me a wee bit so I usually just say, with a smile, "Damn! You caught me. I bet you didn't know that I am THE notorious cat litter thief." (My cart usually has three or four 25-lb bags.)
Strangely enough a bag of cat litter is why they usually ask me even though I don't have a cat. So check my receipt for a $9 bag of litter but ignore $150 worth of crap in the bags. There are some times when I don't get annoyed, as in when there's actually a line waiting to show receipts before leaving. I just can't believe people do that and I walk on by.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

It doesn't really bother me when they ask to see my receipt because I know that they're just doing their job, but it does bother me that they take the time to ask for and look at my receipt, but they never ask to see what's in my bags.

If they're going to take the time to check my receipt, shouldn't they at least pretend to look in my bags? I could have all kinds of extra stuff in my bags, and they'd never even notice it.

So check my receipt for a $9 bag of litter . . .
You must buy the 'spensive stuff!

With Walmart, do what I do, boycott them. Haven't stepped into one of their stores since the '80s. After reading about their early business model.

Once upon a time, their business model was never open a store in a city with over 7,500 population. That way they could undercut every ma & pa business and put them out of business. Leading to collapses of small town america.

The level of incompetence with one of my coworkers. I don’t understand how it’s possible to miscount a prescription of 6 tablets. And this person is in college hoping to get into vet school.

Facebook annoys me, generally. Specifically I really HATE the "Suggested for you" crap that shows up in Friends and Search bar. But it's free so I guess I can't complain? Hell yes I'll complain!!!!

(NOTE: On Facebook I have a couple of obligatory friends with whom I really don't communicate much. I only use Facebook to access a couple of public astronomy and geology groups, and even those I don't join -- I just read.)

As for seeing Zuckerberg on the news . . . I wish I lived in a Three Stooges parallel universe so I could reach thru the computer and poke him in the eye.

With Walmart, do what I do, boycott them. Haven't stepped into one of their stores since the '80s. After reading about their early business model.

Once upon a time, their business model was never open a store in a city with over 7,500 population. That way they could undercut every ma & pa business and put them out of business. Leading to collapses of small town america.
No idea if you'll be able to see/access it or not, but there's a documentary by a british comedian you might find interesting.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1153075/