A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

The answer to all of these questions is obvious to anyone who isn't being deliberately obtuse.
I agree, but this leaves us with the elephant in the room. If so, why not extend such thinking to the consumption of cinema, at least on some occasions? I assure you that the experience can be quite pleasurable and that you get "dialed in" very quickly. Speed is, to a certain extent, relative in the viewing experience.

So, for my horror movie, I open a ZOOM session in which I try force Crumb to watch films with me at variable rates of speed. Crumb refuses, so I show up at Crumb's residence with a six pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon and a few disks from the Criterion collection. Door slams in face. Later, Crumb awakens in a viewing-dungeon--there is a banner on the wall--"Welcome to Crumb's Room." Strapped to a chair, forced to watch classic movies mangled at 1.2x speed hour after hour!!! Eventually Crumb escapes, or so it seems, but then Crumb's reality itself seems to be going by at 1.2x speed. People moving too fast. A slight hint of "Chipmunk" voice in conversations with people who are now speaking just a bit quicker than they used to. Sun setting just a bit faster. No longer able to drive in heavy traffic because it is all going by too fast. Days shortened. Ageing accelerated. A week later a PM, "Are you ready to watch at 1.6x speed?"

Victim of The Night
Hey, Dreamcatcher's not good, right?
It pops up from time to time as being possibly tangentially relevant to my interests but I feel like this was considered a poor film.

It pops up from time to time as being possibly tangentially relevant to my interests but I feel like this was considered a poor film.
I liked the book when I was a kid but the movie’s not great.

I thought the book was bad and the movie was even worse, despite a great cast.

It also has some unfortunate "disabled person is a special kind of special" nonsense that I did not care for.

I agree, but this leaves us with the elephant in the room. If so, why not extend such thinking to the consumption of cinema, at least on some occasions? I assure you that the experience can be quite pleasurable and that you get "dialed in" very quickly. Speed is, to a certain extent, relative in the viewing experience.

So, for my horror movie, I open a ZOOM session in which I try force Crumb to watch films with me at variable rates of speed. Crumb refuses, so I show up at Crumb's residence with a six pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon and a few disks from the Criterion collection. Door slams in face. Later, Crumb awakens in a viewing-dungeon--there is a banner on the wall--"Welcome to Crumb's Room." Strapped to a chair, forced to watch classic movies mangled at 1.2x speed hour after hour!!! Eventually Crumb escapes, or so it seems, but then Crumb's reality itself seems to be going by at 1.2x speed. People moving too fast. A slight hint of "Chipmunk" voice in conversations with people who are now speaking just a bit quicker than they used to. Sun setting just a bit faster. No longer able to drive in heavy traffic because it is all going by too fast. Days shortened. Ageing accelerated. A week later a PM, "Are you ready to watch at 1.6x speed?"

Wait, you got me to join a ZOOM session?

Lol

He used the Ludovico Technique

If Crumb had just joined the ZOOM session, I would not have had to use that technique in my happy fun time viewing cellar.

I have not seen Dream Catchers, but I have not heard anyone say anything good about Dream Catchers. Admittedly it does not come up much conversation. My understanding is that's the one King wrote while hopped up on pain killers after being hit by a car.

Which... well, that can sometimes produce interesting results. Other times...

Nope, but at least the book was good, from what I remember.

Nice! I just finished the series the other day. Good stuff. That was your rec, I believe.
Glad you enjoyed it. I actually need to finish it some day myself.
Does this mean we'll see real Reprisalizer novels as well? Let's hope so.

Finally, some good news! Fans of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, rejoice:
Dreamweaver Garth Marenghi is finally releasing a book we can actually read
Hopefully, he'll be narrating the audio version.

I hope he does. This just wouldn't read the same with the internal reading voice in my head.

I think I went through the first season of What We Do In the Shadows (admittedly, a casual binge viewing) before I went, "huh.... That Lazlo guy sounds very familiar..."

yeah, you should definitely finish it. My favorite episode was one of the last few. Second to last maybe?

How does one struggle to finish six episodes after they've viewed at least one.

How does one struggle to finish six episodes after they've viewed at least one.
I really have no excuse now that it's on Amazon Prime. I only watched the few someone was nice enough to post on YouTube many years ago.
But yeah, Matt Berry (Laszlo) is great. I like him on that show, but he's at his best when he's playing over the top weirdos like he does on Darkplace, Snuff Box and Toast of London.