Things You Just Found Out/Learned Recently?

Tools    

It took me watching and re-watching season 1 of Cobra Kai before it occurred to me that the opening song of episode 2 - "Ain't That a Kick in the Head" by Dean Martin, is how Daniel beat Johnny in the karate tournament.
Gosh, I just heard good ole Dino sing that song a couple days ago when I watched Ocean's Eleven (1960)...And even spookier, last night I heard Frank Sinatra Jr. sing on an episode of The Love Boat.

It took me watching and re-watching season 1 of Cobra Kai before it occurred to me that the opening song of episode 2 - "Ain't That a Kick in the Head" by Dean Martin, is how Daniel beat Johnny in the karate tournament.
LOL! I haven't seen any of the series, but that is one of my favorite Dean Martin songs (loved its usage in Vegas Vacation (1997)).

Very apropos considering the climax of the first movie!

Noel Neill and George Reeves.

Didn't want to start a new thread... but there were several things that amazed (and disappointed) me about The Adventures of Superman TV series.

In most of the episodes Superman (who could do almost anything) dealt with low level thugs and hoodlums that would have barely been worthy of Dick Tracy - the only real difference is Superman would fly to the scene and crash through a cardboard wall instead of using the door.

Only once in a while would Superman take on a mad scientist, yet his ultimate arch villain Lex Luther never even appeared on the show (neither did any of the other villains from the comics that were established by the time the show was made)!

He rarely encountered aliens (excepting, of course the pilot movie and a few episodes), or giant robots or monsters - which meant he could never really cut loose with his powers against an adversary that could withstand his powers or hurt him in kind.

Most of the fantastical, super-powered villains, or sci-fi elements featured in Superman comics were absent from the TV show.

I know they had a limited budget and all, but Superman (who always had a hard time being challenged by even the most powerful monsters, robots, aliens or villains) went largely unchallenged going up against low level thugs... in other words, his potential was kind of wasted.

All of which, frankly, made the show kind of boring when it consisted of rescuing Lois or Jimmy from kidnappers, dealing with crooks who got a hold of Kryptonite, or stifling the occasional bomb.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
LOL! I haven't seen any of the series, but that is one of my favorite Dean Martin songs (loved its usage in Vegas Vacation (1997)).

Very apropos considering the climax of the first movie!

It's probably my favorite TV series to come out in the last 10 years except maybe The Boys or Stranger Things.

Season 5 is due out next month - time to start binging!

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

In most of the episodes Superman (who could do almost anything) dealt with low level thugs and hoodlums . . .

I know they had a limited budget and all, but Superman (who always had a hard time being challenged by even the most powerful monsters, robots, aliens or villains) went largely unchallenged going up against low level thugs... in other words, his potential was kind of wasted.
It was a different era back then. I remember rushing home from school to watch Superman. Unless you lived thru that time, it would be hard to understand the love we had for Superman on TV.

And I feel the same way about Conan and Tarzan in their various movies. The Conan that I read as a kid would not be in any danger of a single mortal -- multiple adversaries, maybe. And the same with Tarzan in ERB books (all 24 of them) -- not halted by less than 10 men. Yet, in their movies, they have problems fighting one man. No way!

A bit of trivia for those who don't already know... Noel Neill played the first ever, live-action (on film) Lois Lane in the Superman serials - starring Kirk Alyn as Superman.

Also interesting: in the serials Jimmy Olsen was played by child-star Tommy Bond - known best for playing the bully "Butch" in the Little Rascals series.

The role of Lois was given to Phyllis Coates for the Superman and the Mole Men (1951) movie and the following TV series (1952) both starring George Reeves as Superman, but after one season Coates was replace with... Noel Neill!

In the 1978 major feature film Superman: The Movie, there is a scene on a train where a family spots a teenaged Clark Kent racing the train - the family is supposed to be the Lanes (and Lois is just a little girl) - her parents are played by Kirk Alyn and Noel Neill!

The role of Lois was given to Phyllis Coates for the Superman and the Mole Men (1951) movie and the following TV series (1952) both starring George Reeves as Superman, but after one season Coates was replace with... Noel Neill!
I thought Phyllis Coates was a fine Lois Lane too. And quite attractive also . . .

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I liked the first season of Cobra Kai, not the second one. Especially when Daniel went back to Okinawa. Seems like a gimmicky way to bring in characters (Chosen, and also Kumiko) and give a bland story.

Is the third season any good? I never watch TV shows, but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to watch the first episode (if it's good) to kill time, and to avoid reality for a few minutes.

In the 1978 major feature film Superman: The Movie . . .
While I love the Superman Theme song that John Williams created for the 1978 movie, the original TV series theme music (w/George Reeves) still gives me chills. Especially the scene of the steam locomotive ("more powerful than a locomotive").

I don't understand, but carry on.
I thought that I went off-subject too many times. Some folks get upset about that. You didn't get upset so thanks.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I thought that I went off-subject too many times. Some folks get upset about that. You didn't get upset so thanks.

You're welcome. I actually like when people go off-subject, especially a topic as open-ended as this.. Sometimes it free associates into something great. I just plant the seed and wherever it goes is fine by me.

In the 1978 major feature film Superman: The Movie,
Hey Captain, have you seen this artwork of Superman by Alex Ross?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hey Captain, have you seen this artwork of Superman by Alex Ross?
Oh yes. I've been an Alex Ross fan since he first showed up on the scene. I've had most of his comic books and even have some of his coffee-table sized art books.

Most people don't know he's the cousin of painter Bob Ross! (Just kidding - people don't know that because they are not related!)

https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/...ng_ive_always/

I think the thing I learned fairly recently, which made me feel stupid beyond belief, was that the Faces song "Ooh La La" was not sung by Rod Stewart. Which is just so obvious when you actually listen to the voice. It's Ron Wood, who can only barely sing, and the fact that I thought it was Stewart all of these years (one of the great voices of his generation), is beyond shameful.

While on the subject of classic rock, I recently found out that there's a grammatical error, courtesy of The McCoys, that has gone unnoticed for years.

That Dick Powell was an actor who was not William Powell.

Sometimes people will talk about old movies with "Dick Powell" in them and I'd say, "You mean William Powell - of the Thin Man?" and they'd say, "No, DICK Powell!" I literally wasn't aware there was an old timey actor named Dick Powell - apparently almost as famous as William Powell.

Bob LuPone just died & I had no idea he was Patti LuPone’s brother. Bob played Dr Cusamano in The Sopranos, which was a great role for him.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...cc-1235207203/

Victim of The Night
While on the subject of classic rock, I recently found out that there's a grammatical error, courtesy of The McCoys, that has gone unnoticed for years.

Sloopy is a person. Therefore a noun, not an adverb.

Victim of The Night
Also, I just found out that Jack Nicholson is 85 years old.
So he's on death-watch.