Has anybody ever finished Criterion? What happens next?

Tools    

So I have been looking through movies in Criterion and it appears that there are not even 2000 movies on it. I saw only 260 french movies. I have been digging a ton of 60s/70s french movies lately, and I wish to not run out of them. However, I should not be expecting 1000 french movies in existence, since there are probably some classics that have not gotten a release yet. We still have other nations such as GERMANY and SWEDEN and ITALY. Also, it seems like the Criterion Channel plays things not on DVD as well. I wonder what would happen if somebody managed to watch every single movie in the collection(even the garbage). Will there still be new stuff to watch? It would still take years however to watch every single one. Luckily Criterion keeps adding new things to the table rather than leaving the table with the same stuff. Good movies do not seem to come around as much as they used to in the mainstream, since people are too busy with them superhero movies. When will the MCU/Superhero movement end? When will TCF leave Disney's clutches?

The world of movies is infinitely more vast than just criterions catalog, So yes there would me more, much more in fact.

I went as far as #100 and I haven't seen 12 of those. Ingmar Bergman being my biggest failing.

When you finish the whole Criterion Collection a man with a large cardboard check in the amount of one million dollars knocks at your door to congratulate you. It's awesome until you learn that it's not a real check and just a symbolic gesture.

The truth is in here
It's extremely rare for me to buy a Criterion release. They're too expensive. I got one of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, and while it looks nice I would be happy to own the movie either way.

I'd hope you stop being a sap who buys a movie simply because it now has a Criterion edition.
Excuse me. If you just went here to take shots at me then why don’t you just beat it kid.

I'd hope you stop being a sap who buys a movie simply because it now has a Criterion edition.
Collecting Criterion movies doesn't make someone a sap. All the coolest film buffs collect Criterion.

Criterion has consistently put out a high quality product, has a proven track record of curating interesting/forgotten/important/lost films, offers no shortage of supplemental features which give one a comprehensive view into the making of the film, and is a company probably more responsible for modern film literacy than any other.

If someone is going to collect anything, I'd call that a solid investment.

When you finish the last Criterion film you ascend.

They also send you a Win Any Film Argument on the Internet card you can play whenever you feel like it.

Yeah, I've never understood the Criterion fascination. I own a few, but for most of them I got the Criterion because it was the only release available for those movies. The only movie I've bought specifically on Criterion was Hedwig and the Angry Inch, but I used Amazon rewards points to get it so it didn't actually cost me money. I may also pick up the Being John Malkovich one at some point.

I hope that some day they'll do a release of Allegro Non Troppo. I would definitely buy that.

Criterion is a terrific company, as far as I'm concerned. Regardless of whether or not you're into the kinds of films they release, there's no denying the amount of care they put into restoring the films they release, the bonus features (interviews/essays/etc.) in each entry, and the sheer amount of classic and forgotten films they've made more attainable and approachable for people who might be distracted by the old camera/sound quality of older films. In short, they're more than worth the extra money.

Criterion is the best of the boutique labels, in my opinion. I have 345 Criterion titles, according to my Letterboxd.

Here is my list of Criterion releases I own:

https://letterboxd.com/steveallaby/l...on-collection/

Criterion is a terrific company, as far as I'm concerned. Regardless of whether or not you're into the kinds of films they release, there's no denying the amount of care they put into restoring the films they release, the bonus features (interviews/essays/etc.) in each entry, and the sheer amount of classic and forgotten films they've made more attainable and approachable for people who might be distracted by the old camera/sound quality of older films. In short, they're more than worth the extra money.

Criterion is for those who want to do their best to understand the totality of what film can be and what it can do. It doesn't cater to one specific taste as much as it tries to broaden the horizons of those tastes. Ideally, it should let those who only champion intellectual art films see that there is also beauty and value in a title like Fiend Without a Face. Where fans of more pulpy titles should hopefully at one point see it isn't that great a leap from their genre films to Solaris, which then can lead to Rublev, which then can lead to a whole universe of film.

Criterion breaks down the boundaries between different film lovers. It informs. It creates a product where time has been taken not only in the preservation of the films, but in the extras they include to add to the experience of that film, as well as even their frequently brilliant packaging. I can think of very few companies that have consistently knocked it out of the park like them.

Dismissing what Criterion does as a game for suckers is to straight up not understand what they do.