A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Victim of The Night
By the way, I've been thinking about hooking up with Twin Peaks, which was popular when I was in high school, which automatically meant I would not engage with it in any way.
Can one just watch Fire Walk With Me or does one really need to start at the beginning?

By the way, I've been thinking about hooking up with Twin Peaks, which was popular when I was in high school, which automatically meant I would not engage with it in any way.
Can one just watch Fire Walk With Me or does one really need to start at the beginning?
I would recommend watching the series first. Fire Walk With Me isn't really intended to stand on its own. It's also darker and more harrowing than the series usually got.

The movie is meant as a prequel to the series, and the more I think about it, skipping all of the series seems like a suboptimal idea.
The real question is getting someone to tell you which episodes of season 2 you can skip.

Definitely do not start with Fire Walk With Me.

Lynch can be alienating enough to begin with. And this would be like walking into a Lynch movie half way through. And watching it from the wrong end of the screen. Also, the fact that Fire Walk with Me is up there as one of his most densely strange and difficult movies, you need to prep yourself as much as possible (and it still won't be enough).

As everyone is sure to tell you, Season 1 is great. Season 2 is troubled (even though the things I love in season 2 make all the stuff I hate worth it). And The Return is one of the greatest things that has ever happened to humanity. And while I don't think Fire Walk with Me is 100 percent necessary for those who love the initial run of TP, it is essential if you choose to go on to The Return.

Ha, this is my exact story and I almost binged it during my COVID week but I decided against it because the 2017 season isn't available to me. It's probably not essential but I'm a completist so it would bug me to not finish all of it.

EDIT: It appears it IS essential after all.

S2 is not up to the standard of S1, but I'd say it's sometimes great and mostly tolerable... except for the scenes where Hurley leaves town. The worst character on the show gets the worst subplot in the series. Just awful, and has no impact on anything else. I'm not saying you should fast forward through these scenes, but if you did, you probably wouldn't miss anything.

I'm not saying you should fast forward through these scenes, but if you did, you probably wouldn't miss anything.

I am an staunch believer in never fast fowarding through anything, but this should seriously be considered when watching S2. Whenever we cut to James on a motorcycle, or an exterior of the motel James is staying in, at the very least go take a very long piss. Worthless.

I am an staunch believer in never fast fowarding through anything,

What about watching at 1.1 or 1.2 x speed?

S2 is not up to the standard of S1, but I'd say it's sometimes great and mostly tolerable... except for the scenes where Hurley leaves town. The worst character on the show gets the worst subplot in the series. Just awful, and has no impact on anything else. I'm not saying you should fast forward through these scenes, but if you did, you probably wouldn't miss anything.

Dear God. Yes. Those scenes. Fast forward through those scenes. When I think about what I can't stand about season 2, those scenes are the first and predominant things to come to mind. Also the subplot involving every bad guy's twin coming into Jacks, I remember as being quite bad.

The first I wanna say 7 or 8 episodes of season 2 are great, then the producers forced them to
WARNING: "very mild" spoilers below
reveal Laura Palmer's killer
, Lynch checks out, and the rest of it is an endurance test. But the movie and especially The Return more than make up for it,

You do actually have to watch the end of season 2 though. It ends on a high-quality note.
This is true.

It's funny that Creep gets so much buzz when I've never talked to anyone who actually really likes it.
Pretty much everybody rates it between a 5 and a 7 and yet it appears on lists all the time and gets watched and discussed a lot.
Ima save my 90 minutes.
It was on Netflix so prominently and at a time when there weren’t a lot of movies on that platform so I think a lot of folks gave it a chance simply because it was there and was a short watch. Both movies do feel like the Duplass brothers just kinda ****ing around with a camera one weekend while they were bored or something.

You do you. And I will continue to roll my eyes at the correct speed whenever I come across one of these choice posts of yours.

Do you have a dedicated "do not exceed" reading speed? Do you detest people who read at 600 words per minute?

There ain't that much difference between driving at 45 MPH or 50 MPH. Do you ever exceed the speed limit?

A lot of old B/W films were undercranked, but people still liked them.Do you enjoy these films?

Both movies do feel like the Duplass brothers just kinda ****ing around with a camera one weekend while they were bored or something.
Absolutely, though I think it's a testament to their abilities that even that "just messing around" energy still manages to deliver a few shocks and surprises.

Do you have a dedicated "do not exceed" reading speed? Do you detest people who read at 600 words per minute?

There ain't that much difference between driving at 45 MPH or 50 MPH. Do you ever exceed the speed limit?

A lot of old B/W films were undercranked, but people still liked them.Do you enjoy these films?

The answer to all of these questions is obvious to anyone who isn't being deliberately obtuse.