Anne Heche in critical condition

Tools    

If you read her bio, she's been very troubled since she was a kid. Apparently the victim of frequent sexual abuse by her "father", as well as multiple deaths and serious dysfunction in the family, she was a psychological mess. None of that makes high speed drunk/drugged driving OK, but it really seems like the last chapter of a very sad story. Apparently, aside from the head injury, she had awful burns, inhaled hot gases resulting in lung injury. It's really an awful way to go.

From CNN: "Anne Heche to be taken off life support today, family says."

The trick is not minding
So she was officially taken off life support today, ending the speculation and earlier false reports that she was “dead”.

May she finally rest in peace.

So she was officially taken off life support today, ending the speculation and earlier false reports that she was “dead”.

May she finally rest in peace.
Apparently in California when someone is declared "brain dead", as Ms. Heche was, they are legally dead.

CALIFORNIA LAW
Article 1. Uniform Determination of Death Act
Section 7180.
(a) An individual who has sustained either (1) irreversible cessation of circulatory and respiratory
functions, or (2) irreversible cessation of all functions of the entire brain, including the brain stem, is
dead. A determination of death must be made in accordance with accepted medical standards.
This may also be true in other states -- I don't know.

A final RIP Ms Heche.

If you read her bio, she's been very troubled since she was a kid. Apparently the victim of frequent sexual abuse by her "father", as well as multiple deaths and serious dysfunction in the family, she was a psychological mess. None of that makes high speed drunk/drugged driving OK, but it really seems like the last chapter of a very sad story. Apparently, aside from the head injury, she had awful burns, inhaled hot gases resulting in lung injury. It's really an awful way to go.
I agree. Such a waste of a life.

And I also feel very bad for the woman whose house Heche completely destroyed. Luckily, the poor woman managed to get out with her pets. Can’t even imagine how she feels.

I do think that donating Anne's organs is a wonderful thing thing to do, and shows that during her life she was a compassionate person. I am happy to hear that the sad events of her death will result in life-saving treatment being provided to others, and hope that provides a comfort to her loved ones and family.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I'm also a donor, always have been. I see it as, "Hey, I'm dead. Don't need these anymore".
Not everyone who is declared "brain dead" is without feeling or awareness.

Not really sure what this post means. Was it directed at me by accident?
I guess I meant to say I would never be a donor because I worry about the possibility of being alive while doctors may declare me dead. It's a scary thought.

I guess I meant to say I would never be a donor because I worry about the possibility of being alive while doctors may declare me dead. It's a scary thought.
I hear ya and it reminds me of this House of Usher

I think Poe relied on fogged mirrors for a "dead test". A flatlined EEG is the standard today. Nobody comes back from that since there's no brain activity.

Allegedly, Robert E. Lee's mother was "buried" while still alive... and before Robert was born.
According to one account she was actually put in a crypt before burial which enabled her husband to hear sounds coming from her coffin.

https://vocal.media/fyi/robert-e-lee...s-buried-alive

Other accounts say the story is a complete myth.

https://leefamilyarchive.org/family-...ied-alive-1927

According to one account she was actually put in a crypt before burial which enabled her husband to hear sounds coming from her coffin.
That's puting it mildly. If I was put into a coffin while still alive I'd be making "sounds" too.

Not everyone who is declared "brain dead" is without feeling or awareness.
I think it's VERY interesting that neurologists have found that in studies done on some that have been declared dead, whose bodies have ceased functioning, brain activity continues for about 4 minutes. So something is going on. That rather gives credence to a belief in an afterlife.