The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Off the top of my head the biggest surprises for me watching this countdown:

Chaplin got five films on the countdown, while the Marx Brothers and Keaton only got one each. Neither even had a second on the near misses. Harold Lloyd only managed a single near miss.

(Already stated) It's Such a Beautiful Day (my #1) and Hausu (#4) made the countdown (which I thought they had reasonable shot of doing, but as good of a chance of missing), while Barton Fink (my #2) didn't even make the near miss list (which at the beginning, didn't even cross my mind it wouldn't make it).

When Clue was revealed so high. Something about that said, "anything goes."

Raul, Miss Vicky, and I all had a movie (Heathers) on our ballot. I've gathered we don't have much overlap in movies we like.

I think really this should have been a decades(or a generations one) list not a general one...the final top 100 is pretty weird to me

I have an additional personal reason for liking this film. During a specific scene they used a song I played in from a band I was in. The title was "Your Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles". It was used for the scene in which The Dude mixes up his first white Russian cocktail near the beginning of the picture. I still get a little check each year...

Whoa, wait a second. That's a Captain Beefheart song. You were in that band?

A system of cells interlinked
Whoa, wait a second. That's a Captain Beefheart song. You were in that band?
Indeed. Gulfport Doc is Mr. Art Tripp.

You'll probably still end up liking them, but it seems to be a common thing to like each one slightly less than it's predecessor. Not really sure why.
Hopefully, they won't spoil my opinion of the first film.

Yeah, when I read GulfportDoc's post I did a double take and had to do a little searching. Pretty cool stuff, Art. Great music!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Also great that we already have some eager volunteers to run the 2010 countdown. And it is the 2010 countdown. No need for a poll. Case Closed.

Or maybe do a poll. Who am I to say?

Which of the two do you want to be the next countdown?

1. 2010s
2. Musicals

Hm...

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Also great that we already have some eager volunteers to run the 2010 countdown. And it is the 2010 countdown. No need for a poll. Case Closed.

Or maybe do a poll. Who am I to say?

Which of the two do you want to be the next countdown?

1. 2010s
2. Musicals

Hm...

That's easy, 2010s next and musicals after that

Boldly going.
Ohh, almost forgot this!!

Decade Breakdown
  • 1900s = 0
  • 1910s = 0
  • 1920s = 3
  • 1930s = 5
  • 1940s = 5
  • 1950s = 2
  • 1960s = 6
  • 1970s = 12
  • 1980s = 29
  • 1990s = 18
  • 2000s = 17
  • 2010s = 3
  • 2020s = 0

Like I mentioned a couple of days ago, the 1980s ran away with this fairly easily. Before we started the countdown, we were trying to figure out if the average age of the average MoFo would play into that. I'm no shrink, so make of that what you may.
Yay '80s! The golden age of comedy is confirmed.

If I could pitch: Two TV show lists, one for dramas and one for comedies.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Major T. J. "King" Kong: Survival kit contents check. In them, you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrasebook and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

Had a strange reaction to this dark comedic masterpiece upon my viewing in the Golden Age of Comedy HoF.
When I was a youngster, and with what little I saw of this at the time, I thought it too outlandish and over the top to ever occur.
Now, it all seemed EXCEEDINGLY possible, and this old fart was besieged with worry and concern about how easily this would go down in a similar route.
Making for a very intense drama since such eccentric atrocities are now commonplace every day.

Scary, scary sh#t.

I believe that Kubrick's agenda is at the heart of this "biting satire" to warn and alert us to the nutcases running the show.
Beneath the comedy, which is very spot on, played with a seriousness that creates comedy out of a dark place with incredible design and innovation. Like with so many of his films, Kubrick should be applauded for his creative talent and insight. Even more so for doing it at such a precarious time of history and remaining equally poignant over fifty years later.

Very f@ckin impressive.

A brilliant satire and an excellent film for #2

My #3

The Big Lebowski (1998)

Blond Treehorn Thug: [holding up a bowling ball] What the f@ck is this?
The Dude: Obviously, you're not a golfer.

While a little surprised, it is an amazing #1 for this Countdown and, as I said, my #3.
While more than ample - and rightfully so, the applause has been stated for the top round of folks in this, Bridges, Goodman, Buscemi, and Turturro, I would like to applaud Philip Seymour Hoffman as Brandt. His body movements alone were exquisite scene-stealers and I'd easily drift off to him in many scenes to see his reactions as The Dude touched awards he shouldn't or Bunny remarking on it'll cost him a hundred bucks and so forth.
The same goes with the trio of Nihilits with their leader, Peter Stormare. Or Juliane Moore, her pronunciation of "thorough" is forever repeated in our household.

So, a truly AWESOME Countdown!! @Diehl40, @Yoda -- F@CKIN BRAVO, TRULY!!
This also includes everyone here joining in the fun and selecting some incredible flicks. Especially the no-shows.

Watched: 83 out of 100 (83%)
1. Kung Fu Hustle (2004) #66

2.Cruella (2021)

3. The Big Lebowski (1998) #1[/size]

4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)

5. Rango (2011)

6. The Birdcage (1996)

7. What's Up, Doc? (1972) #59

8. Young Frankenstein (1974) #4

9. Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain aka Amélie (2001 #40

10. Flushed Away (2006)

11. History of the World: Part I (1981)

12. Smokey and the Bandit (1977)

13. Blazing Saddles (1974) #10

14. Caddyshack (1980) #25

15. Deadpool (2016)

16. Death at a Funeral (2010)

17. A Night at the Opera (1935)

18. Born Yesterday (1950)

19. The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)

20. Dinner For Schmucks (2010)

21. Monsters vs Aliens (2009)

22. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

23. Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999)

24. Animal House (1978) #31

25. Megamind (2010) One Pointer

One Pointers: 18 out of 42 (40.47%)

Rectification List
1. Mean Girls (2004) #67

2. What We Do in the Shadows (2014) #31

END CREDIT CRAP

Let me have a lil fun and b#tch a little lol.
Two of my F@CK ALL YA ALL this doesn't place

Starting with,
6. The Birdcage (1996) What?! Seriously? Nada? WHERE'S ALL MY QUEENS AT? People! What da f@ck? Are we not Family?? How DARE you disrespect Sister Sledge like that!!
Ya know what? We outta here. F@ck you b#tches.

Ooh, that's kinda cleansing.
Next,

16. Death at a Funeral (2010) This is more meh disappointment in ya all, really.
Though I WILL state IF the Americanized version had shown up instead -- Not pretty. Like bad mascara, not pretty. And ya all don't wanna clean that mess up. Just saying.

Mmm, I need a nap.
Take it away, Matty,
Night folks!

22 The Cable Guy (1996)....Can't believe this didn't make it[/color]
This one I was pleasantly intrigued by. Bit of a Dark Horse for you. Did not see that one coming. Nice.

1. Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)
Nooo surprise lol

But this was a wonderful one.

15. Surf's Up (2007)
Annnnd adding one more god-knows-how-many-numbers of reasons you ROCK, my dear. Big fat kiss. Hollywood Hills fake hug.

05. Parasite (2019) - DNP

Is this recency bias? Perhaps, but all that matters to me is that I absolutely loved this film. It was literally one of the best films I had seen in years, and was pretty hilarious to boot. Given how many black comedies and satires I've voted for, this probably isn't too much of a surprise.
Your #5 Reveal! NOICE. LOVED this one! It went off the tracks so beautifully.

20. Re-Animator (1985)
Whatever the opposite of recency bias is (nostalgia goggles?), that's the reason why this is on my list. Horror comedies are my jam, and this has been a long-time favourite of mine. I got to meet Jeffrey Combs at a convention once, so I can say my life is nearly complete.
And this? This is some serious Cool Points.