The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Strangelove is my #3. I don't know what you can say about it that hasn't been said (falls under my quadrants of satire, and sort of dark comedy. The subject material is pure gallows humor and in that sense dark, but the tone of the delivery is light-hearted in the vein of something like Airplaine!). So here goes - I've seen Strangelove numerous times over the decades since I first saw it in high school and I laugh pretty much every time. Except one time. It was a midnight screening at a local independent theater, a little tired and not mentally alert, sparse crowd, the jokes just felt overfamiliar. No one else was really laughing that much either and I suspect collectively we were all in the same boat and no one was providing the audience laugh track catalyst to get us all going. That was years ago and was fortunately not my most recent watching. This anecdote weirdly gives me hope for movies like This is Spinal Tap and The Holy Grail (the former which I rewatched for this countdown and didn't laugh at all, the former I feel like my last rewatch, probably over a decade ago suffered a similar fate). This got me thinking about jokes and overfamiliarity in the past, and so, for a list about comedies, about how to separate which greats should end up above the others on my ballot (for the few minutes I gave it some thoughts).

Which brings us to a word about The Big Lebowski.
Actually, let's step back to that Spinal Tap rewatch.
The three movies I rewatched for this countdown before calling it quits were A Serious Man, Dogtooth (maybe I should have rewatched The Lobster instead), and This is Spinal Tap.

Dogtooth and Spinal Tap, I was greatly let down that I didn't really laugh. At all. Actually add Dogtooth to that list above of hopefully it resume its greatness on another rewatch. A Serious Man on the other... I just kept laughing my ass off. Just bursting out loud. Now the interesting thing was, the first time I saw A Serious Man in the theaters, I loved it, I find it greatly stimulating intellectually, but I didn't laugh at it like I was expecting to. It just seemed a little more slow and somber than what I expected from a Coens' movie. But something happened on the first rewatch, the drawn out awkwardness of all the interactions, the absurdities, they all just clicked, and I just ended up going, "this movie is so much more funny than what I thought it was the first time around." And I've seen it multiple times since then (laughing along the way), but when this ballot came around, it became an issue of, "wait, I remember this being funny, but how funny was it. I'm now a little concerned because I do remember that first viewing. But hell, I just laughed my butt off. Which only added to my surprise I didn't laugh at all the following night when watching Dogtooth or Spinal Tap.

A Serious Man (2009) was my #7.

Burn After Reading was another Coens' that I was a little disappointed by not laughing as much in the initial theatrical experience as I was expecting, but seemed to just become great on the first rewatch. Burn After Reading didn't make my shortlist, let alone my ballot though.

So, I'll give that anecdote as a caveat on the following - I've not gelled with The Big Lebowski. I laughed when I watched it back in the 90s, but I ended up not laughing as much as I was expecting, and it just never stood out in my mind as one of the great Coen movies. Since everyone else seemed to love it, and after both my Serious Man and Burn After Reading Experience, I decided it was due for a rewatch and, you know, you think of scenes in the movie, they seem like they have to be really funny.... and I still didn't find it that funny. I don't know if it's ultimately one that just doesn't click for me or if the comedy's just fundamentally on a different wavelength than what I'm expecting going in - A Serious Man issue, but managed to repeat itself and still hasn't had a chance to correct itself. I will say, unlike O' Brother, I still think there's a possibility that Lebowski would rise in my estimation, but as of right I would rank all of the following Coen Brother movies above it for a comedy ballot (ordered by release):
  • Raising Arizona
  • Miller's Crossing (not even a comedy, IMO, and thus not eligible for my ballot)
  • The Hudsucker Proxy
  • Fargo
  • The Man Who Wasn't There
  • Burn After Reading
  • A Serious Man
  • and possibly, but not likely, Hail, Caesar!

Which brings us to Unnamed Ballot Entry #2 (the only movie besides It's Such a Beautiful Day to edge out Strangelove on my ballot).
I couldn't help but notice dark comedy replays well for me, Coen comedy replays well for me, and so Unnamed Ballot Entry #2 was a Coen brothers' movie.

Barton Fink
It's not my favorite Coen brothers' movie, but it seems to be the most four quadrant Coen brothers' movie for me, and it seemed like an obvious choice once I thought of it.

The comedy is dark, but has the overt character actor and snappy dialogue that one associates with Raising Arizona or the surrounding world of Miller's Crossing, it plays with reality and the fantastical, and I don't know. I guess the fourth quadrant for the Coens is John Goodman?

And unlike A Serious Man and Fargo, which are both really funny, they're a, you need to be paying attention funny, not have it on in the movie on in the background and laugh at jokes as they come up funny.

It's one I would have assumed to make the list. Which is surprising to me since it seemed like it used to be really big. It was the last movie to win three major awards at Cannes (and will be the last because after it did so, Cannes changed their rules so there's a cap on the number of major awards a film can win). At the beginning of this countdown I would have guessed at least #65, quite reasonably in the top 40 or 30. Conceivably, if things broke right, in the top 10.

Even stranger was seeing my #1 and #4, It's Such a Beautiful Day and Hausu, place because those seemed a lot more like long shots.

ETA: For A Serious Man, I feel like a modified version of the junior Rabbi's speech could serve as the memorial for this countdown.
"There's comedy in the parking lot, Larry."

I think I first watched The Big Lebowski in 2004 after seeing it featured on VH1's I Love The '90s. I laughed my ass off and it became an immediate favorite. The writing, the cast, and the randomness of it all just came together in an absolutely perfect way. It spent a good long while in my all-time top ten movies and, while I no longer rank it that high as a film, there was never any doubt about it's place at #2 on my ballot. I am absolutely thrilled to see it come out on top! Nobody f***s with The Jesus!

I've seen five Stanley Kubrick movies and I liked none of them. Dr. Strangelove was among the longest 95 minutes of my life. Also among the least funny.

1. Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)

2. The Big Lebowski (1998) - #1

3. Lilo & Stitch (2002)

4. Mary and Max (2009)

5. Death to Smoochy (2002)

6. Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

7. Tropic Thunder (2008) - #59

8. The Sandlot (1993)

9. Being John Malkovich (1999) - #45

10. Encino Man (1992)

11. A Town Called Panic (2009)

12. Clay Pigeons (1998)

13. Army of Darkness (1992)

14. Over the Hedge (2006)

15. Surf's Up (2007)

16. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

17. Heathers (1989) - #47

18. Bridesmaids (2011)

19. Up (2009)

20. Bubba Ho-Tep (2002)

21. A Mighty Wind (2003)

22. Despicable Me (2010)

23. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989) - #80

24. Ratatouille (2007)

25. Knick Knack (1989) - (One-Pointer)

Dr. Strangelove was #18 on my ballot, while The Big Lebowski was #23 on my ballot. They both would've been higher had this list been made a few years ago, but competition has gotten fiercer since then. Still though, both are great films which are more than deserving of the top two spots.

My ballot (15/25):

1. It Happened One Night (1934)
2. City Lights (1931)
3. The Graduate (1967)
4. To Be or Not To Be (1942)

5. Chimes at Midnight (1965)
6. Harold and Maude (1971)
7. Safety Last! (1923)
8. Le Million (1931)
9. Duck Soup (1933)
10. Being John Malkovich (1999)
11. Young Frankenstein (1974)
12. Sherlock, Jr. (1924)

13. Toy Story (1995)
14. Shaun of the Dead (2004)
15. Husbands (1970)
16. Airplane! (1980)
17. The General (1926)
18. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
19. Some Like It Hot (1959)

20. American Movie (1999)
21. Manhattan (1979)
22. The Apartment (1960)
23. The Big Lebowski (1998)

24. Minnie and Moskowitz (1971)
25. The Great Dictator (1940)

The truth is in here
Don't get me wrong, The Big Lebowski is a really fun movie with some very iconic performances in it. But Dr. Strangelove not being number 1 over it is pretty strange (No pun intended) and I'm a little disappointed over that. Still, I've gotten lots of enjoyment out of this countdown.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Thanks Diehl40 for all your work getting this list up.

The Coens do the slacker SoCal Dude in The Big Lebowski, and as far as the main characters go, they do them extremely well. Everybody in the pic above could scarcely be better. However, for me, the film is let down by the convoluted "Big" film noir plot and the characters involved with that, especially poor Julianne Moore. What I have to say won't change anybody's mind though. I think it's funny and entertaining but only half-successful. Now, to show you what I mean and how screwed-up I am, I think it's twice as successful as another offbeat modern film noir, The Long Goodbye, so I'm ducking and covering now...

Dr. Strangelove, my #2, was made at the height of the Cold War, and it turned the ultra-seriousness of something like Fail-Safe into a black comedy. Even so, I know a few people, who while watching this hilarious film, want me to "point out the funny parts". The thing about this film is that, even if you don't get a single joke, it's so damned suspenseful, and occasionally, realistic, that you would have to think it's almost a documentary. The characters' names should be a dead giveaway that you're dealing with a comedy, but I guess some people don't have a sense of humor, or maybe it's limited to fart jokes. The characters' roll call: Dr. Strangelove, Buck Turgidson, Jack D. Ripper, King Kong, Bat Guano, Premier Kissoff, Lothar Zogg, etc.

True, Dr. Strangelove is full of humor, jokes and utter ridiculousness; even enough to rival a Monty Python film, but some people can't get through Kubrick's realism to see the humor. This film contains some truly great action/suspense scenes. The Army has to attack Burpleson Air Force Base to try to stop General Ripper, and that scene is almost like watching documentary Viet Nam war footage. The realism gets to you. Even better, when the Soviet missile hones in on Major Kong's bomber, trying to blow it out of the sky, the scene is played out in real time and is nail-bitingly suspenseful. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the only film which can compare to this dark comedy crossed with extreme suspense is The Manchurian Candidate.

Ultimately, this film leaves one thinking about the end of the world. It could very well happen in the blink of an eye, caused by a madman, even if he's NOT an American. This should give everyone pause to consider Dr. Strangelove as a clarion call (yes, even to this day) because it really doesn't take that much for the check and double check system to collapse. It won't go down as hilariously as it does here (if it does), but it will go down just as easily, or perhaps even easier if nobody even understands what this film is about or why it's so flippin' awesome.

My List

1. Richard Pryor Live in Concert [#113]
2. Dr. Strangelove [#2]
3. The Incredibles [DNP]
4. Gremlins [DNP]
5. Back to the Future [#35]
6. The Graduate [#27]
7. Alice in Wonderland [DNP]
8. The Quiet Man [DNP]
9. American Graffiti [DNP]
10. Pygmalion [DNP]
11. Harold and Maude [#46]
12. Play It Again, Sam [DNP]
13. One, Two, Three [#86]
14. Some Like It Hot [#9]
15. An American Werewolf in London [DNP]
16. It's Such A Beautiful Day [#62]
17. A Fish Called Wanda [#38]
18. Young Frankenstein [#4]
19. Monty Python and the Holy Grail [#5]
20. City Lights [#11]
21. Tootsie [#108]
22. Toy Story [DNP]
23. Who Framed Roger Rabbit [DNP]
24. The Trouble with Harry [DNP]
25. Ruthless People [My One Pointer]

My full ballot:

1. It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012) (#62)
2. Barton Fink (1991) - (DNP) - 60% (at the beginning of the list, I would have put this at 90%)
3. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) (#2) - 90%
4. House (1977) (#90)
5. World of Tomorrow (2015) - (DNP) - 15%
6. Brazil (1985) (#48)
7. A Serious Man (2009) - (DNP) - 30%
8. Sorry to Bother You (2018) 33%
9. The Return of the Living Dead (1985) - 1%
10. The Death of Stalin (2017) - 50% (DNP)
11. Adaptation. (2002) - (DNP) 50%
12. Fargo (1996) (#98)
13. Synecdoche, New York (2008) - (DNP) - 20%
14. To Die For (1995) - (DNP) - 10%
15. Dark Star (1974) - DNP - 0.1%
16. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) (#5) - 90%
17. The Heartbreak Kid (1972) - (DNP) - 33%
18. Heathers (1989) (#47)
19. Duck Soup (1933) (#8) - 85%
20. The Apartment (1960) (#30) - 90%
21. Evil Dead II (1987) (#94)
22. Dead Man (1995) - 5% (NP)
23. Best in Show (2000) (#75)
24. The High Sign (1921) - DNP - 0.01%
25. The Phantom of Liberty (1974) (1 pointer) - 0%

In case I ever need to refer to this post in the future: Those percents were the odds I gave the movie to still show up after position #40 was revealed. In my defense of my Adaptation. guess, Malkovich just showed up, so it seemed like it could have been in the near horizon.

The Completely Forgots (that I suspect would have somehow squeezed onto my ballot if I didn't forget them):
Greenberg, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe

Honorable Mentions, and which slots they were competing for that ultimately went to "a related movie"
After Hours, American Psycho - were in contention for the #14 slot, but ultimately went with To Die For.

Anomalisa, I'm Thinking of Ending Things, Being John Malkovich - in contention for #11 and #13. It was something of a toss-up of which ones I ultimately went for.

Big Trouble in Little China was in consideration for both the spot that went to Dark Star (15) and Evil Dead II (21).
Cabin in the Woods was also in contention for spot #2 (Evil Dead II), but ultimately went Evil Dead II because Cabin in the Woods got rewatched a bit too much this past decade so the most recent watch finally had the sense of diminishing returns, and unlike the other horror-comedies on my list, it fluctuates back and forth between comedy and straight horror movie in ways that are more consciously separable. Clearly not a disqualifying factor for me, but it was part of the deciding factor.

Raising Arizona - Was probably the next Coen movie I would have put on my ballot, but four from the same pair of directors seemed like a bit much. After that, it might have been The Hudsucker Proxy, which is benefitting from the winter time annual watches.
The Man Who Wasn't There was considered, but felt somehow too close to Barton Fink and A Serious Man somehow, leaving it feeling a bit redundant. It also had been a long time since I had seen it, and needed a rewatch.

Honestly, these were comedies, but my brain just doesn't associate them with "name comedies," so I didn't consider them for my ballot, but who knows in 10-20 years time:
Daisies, The Lighthouse, Inherent Vice

I want to give @Diehl40 a special thanks for hosting this list and for those that have participated.

Hopefully the 2010's countdown is next, at least it will be an unpredictable list you just never know what movie will make the list. I've been putting some work into it and it looks good so far.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I think The Dude talks or replies to Donny once in the film. Meanwhile, Walter and Donny's interactions...
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Running late (spoiler alert) will be back to comment on our excellent #2 and #1, but for now. . .

Airplane! (1980)

Elaine Dickinson: Would you like something to read?
Hanging Lady: Do you have anything light?
Elaine Dickinson: How about this leaflet, "Famous Jewish Sports Legends?"

Directors/Writers Jim AbrahamsDavid ZuckerJerry Zucker take a slightly different path of comedic gold and use very serious actors to truly hilarious effect as they play scenarios straight, and we f@ckin die laughing for it. With Robert Stack, Peter Graves, and Lloyd Bridges, who picked the wrong week to give up a variety of things to Leslie Nielson, launching himself back into the audiences' embrace and several more comedy films.
Filled with physical comedy and a ton of wordplay, they take the same irreverent humor as The Kentucky Fried Movie (1977) and tone it down from an R Rating to PG and come up with a helluva hit.
The absolute highlight for me is the more instance in an insane parody is Stephen Stucker.

A few I thought: maybe, possibly, probably not.

12. Smokey and the Bandit (1977)

Buford T. Justice: [to his son] There's no way, NO way that you came from MY loins.
Soon as I get home, first thing I'm gonna do is punch yo mamma in da mouth!

A brash down-home comedy with Burt Reynolds doing what he does best; high-speed chases and off-the-cuff bravado with the IDEAL nemesis "tail grabbing his @ss" Jackie Gleason as Sheriff Buford T. Justice. Along with his tuxedo-wearing son, Junior (Mike Henry), who has taken their pursuit of their runaway bride (Sally Field) into a greater chase of Reynolds' The Bandit when she grabs a ride with him and Snowman (Jerry Reed) as they do a bootleg run of 400 cases of Coors from Texarcana back to Atlanta in 28 hours as a bet.
The film that got us all on the CB and sent Pontiac Trans Am sales to an all-time high, directed and written by stunt man Mike Henry remains a HUGE favorite of mine since seeing it in Junior High when it came out. Even enjoyed the censored version on regular TV where they switched up words with some equally amusing renditions like sumb#itch to Scum Buzzard and others.

18. Born Yesterday (1950)

Jim Devery: All you have to do is be nice - and no rough language.
Billie: I won't open my mush.

This was nominated for me in the Personal Recommendation IV by @Allaby -- YOU ROCK!

It all comes down to the genius of Judy Holliday's portrayal of the comedic "ditzy blonde." Along with her "straight man," Broderick Crawford.

Their bombastic relationship was the fodder of every scene that brought forth an eruption of laughter out of me. Creating a comedic duo that matches the echelon of many Vauldvillin/Burlesque Comedy Teams of previous decades. Their arguing reminds me of a marriage of Burns & Allen and the tv show, The Honeymooners when Jackie Gleason and Audrey Meadows would go at it.
Sheer brilliance.
My absolute favorite is the Card Game Scene which I've seen versions of/tip of the hats to, such as on All of the Family with Archie (Carol O'Connor) and Edith Bunker (Jean Stapleton).
But Judy Holliday's Billie Dawn is more than happy to yell back, unlike the more compliant Edith.
WARNING: "Though, unlike the other examples," spoilers below
the threat of violence is followed through in one pivotal scene. Its effectiveness in the storyline's process is, like everything else, very essential. Not one I would like to have, but one I would not remove due to the stated reason.

To continue my raving of Judy Holliday and her genius, her every nuance of voice, manner, body language, et al. is a true mastery of the art form. Holliday, a woman of a 170 IQ, had stated numerous times that "It takes real smarts to make people believe you're dumb." Extending that necessary intelligence to "keep an audience's attention without extraordinary physical equipment." And she does. In spades!
It is said that: "searching for subversives in the film industry, the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) was flummoxed (I f@ckin LOVE that description) by Holliday, who essentially played her Oscar-winning character "Billie Dawn" on the witness stand."
YOU GO, GIRL!

To tighten and perfect the comedic timing while the set was being constructed, Director Cukor had the cast perform again and again before a live audience. That timing shines through with everyone.
I should also note that William Holden is also in this as the man Broderick's character hires to teach Billie manners/book smarts and ends up severely regretting it. Holding his own to these two scene-stealers that kept my full attention.

19. The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)

[Refering to the aftermath of the Doomsday device]
Dreyfus: What do you suppose they will call the crater, huh? The Dreyfus Ditch?
[b]Dr. Fassbender: There shall be no crater.
Dreyfus: No crater? But I want a crater! I want wreckage, twisted metal. Something the world will not forget!
Dr. Fassbender: They won't forget today.
Dreyfus: They won't? Wonderful. I have to tinkle again. Don't do anything till I get back.

Another favorite from my youth and my Go-To for the Pink Panther Franchise, where buffoonery is taken to its highest level. A parody of James Bonds films, Clouseau, played by the iconic Peter Sellers, his ineptness having driven the now ex-Commissioner Dreyfus (Herbert Lom) in the previous film into the nuthouse as completely lost it and decides to become an arch-villain bent on world destruction, he "builds an organization so sinister, so powerful, that by comparison, La Cosa Nostra will seem like the Vienna Boys' Choir!"

While it is heartbreaking to discover that Peter Sellers despised writer/director Blake Edwards making him into a clown, I have been unable to turn away from the role that has endeared me so completely.

Watched: 81 out of 98 (82.65%)
1. Kung Fu Hustle (2004) #66
2.Cruella (2021)
3. Gonna be in the Top Ten
4. Long past its due date
5. Has a little bit of life left, maybe
6. F@CK ALL YA ALL this doesn't place
7. What's Up, Doc? (1972) #59
8. Young Frankenstein (1974) #4
9. Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain aka Amélie (2001) #40
10. Flushed Away (2006)
11. Something I never thought had a chance, but by conversations, I've read. . . ??? Annd back to not freakin likely
12. Smokey and the Bandit (1977)
13. Blazing Saddles (1974) #10
14. Caddyshack (1980) #25
15. Deadpool (2016)
16. OK, this one kinda pisses me off in a kinda snobby "No, good sir, f@ck not only you but each and every one of your associates. So, yes, if you please, gag, choke, die. You pick what order. Now, off with you."
17. Um, let's see, I. . . think, I'm gonna go with. . . um, yes. #6, yes, please, thank you
18. Born Yesterday (1950)
19. The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)
20. Dinner For Schmucks (2010)
21. Monsters vs Aliens (2009)
22. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
23. Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999)
24. Animal House (1978) #31
25. Megamind (2010) One Pointer

One Pointers: 18 out of 42 (40.47%)

Rectification List
1. Mean Girls (2004) #67
2. What We Do in the Shadows (2014) #31

Boldly going.
I don't think I've seen Dr. Strangelove or the Big Lobowski. I will make a point to. For me, they're the types of movies I'll have to be in a particular mood to enjoy, especially for Strangelove, as I'm not a big fan of Kubrick, nor politics.

This is my ballot:

1. Forrest Gump (1994)
2. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
3. Groundhog Day (1993)
4. Ghostbusters (1984)
5. Liar Liar (1997)
6. True Lies (1994)
7. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
8. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)
9. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999)
10. Police Academy (1984)
11. Clue (1985)
12. Warm Bodies (2013)
13. The Blues Brothers (1980)
14. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! (1988)
15. National Lampoon's Vacation (1983)
16. The Ladykillers (2004)
17. Airplane! (1980)
18. The Addams Family (1991)
19. Dumb and Dumber (1994)
20. Spaceballs (1987)
21. There's Something About Mary (1998)
22. Meet the Parents (2000)
23. I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry (2007)
24. Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
25. Weekend at Bernie's (1989)

This has been fun. Thanks for revisiting the laughs!

A system of cells interlinked
Here is my ballot, for better for for worse. Mostly worse.

1. Back to the Future
  2. The Big Lebowski
  3. Amelie
  4. Groundhog Day
  5. Clue
  6. Dr. Strangelove or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
  7. Brazil
  8. Up in Smoke
  9. Ghostbusters
  10. Heathers
  11. Broadcast News
  12. Big Trouble In Little China
  13. The Princess Bride
  14. Office Space
  15. Christmas Vacation
  16. Monty Python and The Holy Grail
  17. A Shot in the Dark
  18. His Girl Friday
  19. The Blues Brothers
  20. After Hours
  21. Friday
  22. The Naked Gun
  23. The Incredibles
  24. Idiocracy
  25. Tropic Thunder

As usual, I get to the end of the countdown and I wonder how 3-4 of the title on my ballot ended up on my ballot, while titles like Young Frankenstein didn't.

So, this is my official request to start the entire countdown over, including ballot submission, starting today at 3pm! I am sure this will be an acceptable solution for everyone.

My Ballot:
1. Raising Arizona (1987) #23
2. A Fish Called Wanda (1988) #38
3. Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987) #33
4. Ghostbusters (1984) #6
5. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! (1988) #17
6. Caddyshack (1980) #25
7. There's Something About Mary (1998)

8. Young Frankenstein (1974) #4
9. Dumb and Dumber (1994) #43
10. A Christmas Story (1983)

11. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) #56
12. Parenthood (1989)

13. The Gods Must Be Crazy (1980)

14. The Hangover (2009) #71
15. Kingpin (1996)

16. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999) #99
17. Black Dynamite (2009) #66
18. Skin Deep (1989)

19. Pee-wee's Big Adventure (1985) #92
20. When Harry Met Sally... (1989) #85
21. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) #2
22. Napoleon Dynamite (2004) #72
23. The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)

24. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994)

25. Night of Something Strange (2016)

About the only thing I regret is forgetting about Men in Black which probably replaces Ace Ventura.

A system of cells interlinked
I had A Shot in the Dark on my ballot, and here I am seeing multiple people with The Pink Panther Strikes Again. I like that film, but have always thought A Shot in the Dark was the freshest and therefore best Inspector Clouseau picture.

The truth is in here
My full ballot:

1. Bugsy Malone (1976)
2. Amélie (2001)
3. Hair (1979)
4. Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006)
5. Orgazmo (1997)
6. Airplane! (1980)
7. Silver Streak (1976)
8. Silent Movie (1976)
9. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967)
10. Intouchables (2011)
11. The Odd Couple (1968)
12. National Lampoon's Vacation (1983)

13. Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters (2007)
14. Snatch (2000)
15. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)
16. Back to the Future Part II (1989)
17. Meet the Feebles (1989)
18. The Truman Show (1998) (Considering Fargo was comedic enough to get included, I'm shocked that this never showed up)
19. The Voices (2014)
20. 50/50 (2011)
21. Rock 'n' Roll High School (1979)
22. Delicatessen (1991)
23. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
24. Mars Attacks! (1996)
25. Braindead (1992) (Another surprising omission from this countdown)

Oh well, I was rooting for Dr Strangelove but instead got The Big Lebowski as #1. But what I really want to say is a big....

Thank You!!! to Diehl for taking on this countdown and doing a fine job hosting!

and also...

A big Thank You!!! to Yoda for all the behind the scenes hardwork that he puts into these countdowns so us MoFos can have some fun.

And a big thank you to everyone who participated and helped make this happen!