The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I’m a big fan of Leslie Nielsen because of the Naked Gun films, which I saw growing up.

I saw Airplane! quite a bit later on and it just didn’t do the same for me. I still found it amusing and it’s obviously one of those that “that started it all”. But again, having only seen it once, I bet I’ll like it more on a rewatch. Seems very much like one of those movies that’s funnier to revisit. It does have some great jokes that I’ve rewatched a couple of times on YouTube.

Yes Airplane! is funny. No I didn't vote for it. Yes, I saw it in the theaters when it first came out. I think I have seen almost all of these movies except for Hausu. But top ten. Nah!

I'm going out on a limb and saying everybody forgot to vote for Lebowski, Zombieland makes #2 and chaos ensues
and as Wedding Crashers makes it at #1 lol

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

The way this countdown has developed I wouldn't be overly surprised if it were Jaws #2 and The Straight Story #1
Jaws is so good it transcends genres. I’ll buy it.

Hey Thief is The REturn of the Living Dead the one that had the half of a dead dog running at the medical warehouse. If so that was a real good horror/comedy.
Yeah, the split dog

Since people were talking about Buster Keaton, and The General not making it, I guess I will reveal my Keaton pick. One Week, from 1920, was my #9. Saw it in January of this year and I just adored it. Not only Keaton's physical stunts and gags, which were hilarous, but also the effective sentimentality it carried. Here's the link to my review here on MoFo.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
If I had made my list about 10 years ago, Airplane! probably would have made my top 25. It might even have made my top 10. But after seeing it so many times over the years, it's dropped down on my list quite a bit. I still love the movie, and I think it's one of the funniest movies ever, but knowing all the punchlines just drops it down a bit.

But even though I didn't include it on my list, I'm still happy to see it place this high on the countdown.

Since this is the final stretch, I think a nod needs to go to the "Jackass" franchise. Most likely, none of their works would ever appear in anyone's top 100. But for the seriously sick twisted content, it just hits my funny bone hard.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm leaving early in the morning, and I'll be gone all weekend, so I just wanted to mention now that neither Dr. Strangelove nor The Big Lebowski was on my list. (I guess I'll have to wait until Monday to find out which movie placed at #1. )

This is my complete list, including the movies that didn't make the countdown:
The movies in BLUE are the ones that didn't make the countdown that I've already mentioned, and the movies in RED are the ones that I haven't mentioned yet.

1) My Cousin Vinny (1992)
2) Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
3) Sunday in New York (1963)
4) When Harry Met Sally… (1989)
5) Barefoot in the Park (1967)

6) The Princess Bride (1987)
7) Kiss Me Goodbye (1982)
8) The Producers (1967)
9) Back to the Future (1985)
10) Galaxy Quest (1999)

11) Soapdish (1991)
12) Seems Like Old Times (1980)
13) The Frisco Kid (1979)
14) Love at First Bite (1979)
15) Hot Stuff (1979)

16) It Happened One Night (1934)
17) The Cannonball Run (1981)
18) Pillow Talk (1959)
19) Liar Liar (1997)
20) The End (1978)

21) Lilo & Stitch (2002)
22) Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
23) Ghostbusters (1984)
24) Harvey (1950)
25) The Goodbye Girl (1977)

Since this is the final stretch, I think a nod needs to go to the "Jackass" franchise. Most likely, none of their works would ever appear in anyone's top 100. But for the seriously sick twisted content, it just hits my funny bone hard.

The second one was on my shortlist. If I'd been in a slightly different mood when I wrote it, it easily could have made it

I forgot the opening line.
Since this is ending shortly - perhaps a 26 to 50 list of honorable mentions are in order :

26. Withnail & I
27. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
28. Borat
29. Harold and Maude
30. My Man Godfrey
31. The Man With Two Brains
32. God Bless America
33. The Disaster Artist
34. Raising Arizona
35. JoJo Rabbit
36. Anchorman
37. Bowfinger
38. Boy
39. Austin Powers International Man of Mystery
40. Eagle vs Shark
41. Super
42. Take the Money and Run
43. Rushmore
44. Napoleon Dynamite
45. Top Secret
46. There's Something About Mary
47. Gentlemen Broncos
48. Meet the Parents
49. Dark Star
50. Alan Partridge Alpha Papa

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Being my #1 comedy, Airplane! is flat-out the funniest movie I've ever seen. I remember seeing it when it was first released at the cinema, my best friend from high school and I saw it, and right from the start we were laughing. We had no idea about Zero Hour!---we just knew funny when we saw it and man, we were holding our bellies, scrunching down in our seats, tears streaming, no exaggeration. It still makes me laugh hard. My favorite scene is still the disco dance sequence:

My list:
#1.Airplane!
#2.Arthur-#111
#3.Young Frankenstein
#4.The In-Laws
#5.Blazing Saddles
#8.Stripes
#9.The Blues Brothers
#10.Monty Python and the Holy Grail
#11.Arsenic and Old Lace
#12.Tootsie-#108
#13.Raising Arizona
#14.Animal House
#18.Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
#22.Caddyshack

Welcome to the human race...
Though I had it on a couple of my earlier top 100s, I ultimately did not vote for Airplane!. I guess that it did alright without me.

I'm debating if I should save this reveal for Strangelove or not, now's as good of a time as any:

#8. Sorry to Bother You (2018)

Just because I'm not surprised it didn't make the countdown, doesn't mean I'm not disappointed.
And I did think it stood an outside chance of creeping onto the lower end of the list.

The 2010's had some good comedies. Half of my ballot entries from the 2010's were topical satires and the other half were Hertzfeldt animated movies and shorts (I didn't know which way it was breaking, so I put both likely contenders on - and they both seem worthy of making a top 100 list).

I guess to complete it

#5. World of Tomorrow (2015)

"I no longer fall in love with rocks."

#24. The High Sign (1921) (Keaton)

Since it's all but official that The General isn't making it, might as well reveal the Keaton on my ballot. It was a short whose slot that nearly went to Sherlock Jr, but ultimately I decided I enjoyed my experience with this more. Keaton gets recruited by a gang to kidnap a rich man, and then recruited by the man and his daughter to protect him from being kidnapped. A chase inside the man's house that has the giant dollhouse imagery that we associate with Wes Anderson happens, and just general hilarity as Keaton needs to constantly shift the appearance of his allegiance constantly. I knew when I picked a short it was probably throwing my vote away, especially when that short isn't One Week (which is the one that people usually cite first when talking about Keaton shorts).

I will say one thing about my experience when I first watched this (along with another of other Keaton shorts) that might tip my opinion of it unfairly in its favor compared to his movies - it was accompanied by live, anachronistic bluegrass. The experience did leave me wondering if some silents would play better with anachronistic music as well (it's not like their scores were fixed in the days of live organists and no home video). I was lucky to see a couple of Lon Chaney Sr. movies with a live band that one point included Where is My Mind? I don't know, I'd recommend the experience if it's ever available.

The Ballot so far
WARNING: spoilers below

1. It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012) (#62)
2. 60% (at the beginning of the list, I would have put this at 90%)
3. 90%
4. House (1977) (#90)
5. World of Tomorrow (2015) - (DNP) - 15%
6. Brazil (1985) (#48)
7. 30%
8. Sorry to Bother You (2018) 33%
9. The Return of the Living Dead (1985) - 1%
10. The Death of Stalin (2017) - 50% (DNP)
11. 50%
12. Fargo (1996) (#98)
13. 20%
14. 10%
15. Dark Star (1974) - DNP - 0.1%
16. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) (#5) - 90%
17. The Heartbreak Kid (1972) - (DNP) - 33%
18. Heathers (1989) (#47)
19. Duck Soup (1933) (#8) - 85%
20. The Apartment (1960) (#30) - 90%
21. Evil Dead II (1987) (#94)
22. Dead Man (1995) - 5% (NP)
23. Best in Show (2000) (#75)
24. The High Sign (1921) - DNP - 0.01%
25. The Phantom of Liberty (1974) (1 pointer) - 0%

I'm debating if I should save this reveal for Strangelove or not, now's as good of a time as any:

That movie went in some strange directions, but I did like it.

The second one was on my shortlist. If I'd been in a slightly different mood when I wrote it, it easily could have made it
Turns out I was in that mood. I voted for the second movie. I think it was second to last on my ballot.

I grew up with these guys and after watching Jackass Forever I somehow still enjoy them. But the second movie has always been my favorite I think.

Just because I'm not surprised it didn't make the countdown, doesn't mean I'm not disappointed.
And I did think it stood an outside chance of creeping onto the lower end of the list.
Sorry to Bother You was one of the last 5 films I cut from my list.