The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I didn't have Young Frankenstein or Airplane! on my list but they are both very funny. They needed a rewatch and that didn't happen. Oh well. Maybe next Mofo Comedy Countdown.

Lebowski vs Strangelove. What do we say? It seems people are thinking Strangelove at #1? I'm going Lebowski. I'm a rebel.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Airplane was on my list. Whenever I think of comedies Airplane is the first that comes to mind. Just pure laughs from beginning to end. And when watching it as a kid I was totally invested in landing that plane in the third act.

“Listen kid, I’m out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.”

Have seen so far: 51 - Airplane! - Saw this for the comedy countdown and it was meh, I didn't find a lot of interest for the film.

Have not seen so far: 46

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Lebowski vs Strangelove. What do we say? It seems people are thinking Strangelove at #1? I'm going Lebowski. I'm a rebel.
Hoping for Lebowski but expecting Strangelove because my picks never make number 1.

Woo-Hoo!

I don't care about Airplane!, but I am thrilled to see it show up today. I'm hoping my one remaining movie will top the list, but knowing you MoFos and your love for all things Kubrick it won't.
Maybe we outta ban Kubrick from all future countdown lists so one of his movies don't become #1 lol jk

Boldly going.
Young Frankenstein is a favourite of mine, but it did not make my top 25. The movie has some misfire jokes (e.g. shoe shine boy and "damn your eyes"), but for the most part it is hilarious. I'm surprised that no one has talked about the rape (unless I missed it) - and yet there was lots of talk about the rape in Revenge of the Nerds. True, Elizabeth does start singing half way through the rape, but it does send the wrong message.

Airplane was #17 on my list. I laughed so hard during the otto pilot scene. I still do.

Let the night air cool you off
Since we are down to two that I voted for, I'll go ahead and post my entire list with those two films being left out:

1. Amarcord (1973)
2. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
3. Black Dynamite (2009)
5. Superbad (2007)
7. Four Lions (2010)
8. Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010)
9. Punch-Drunk Love (2002)
10. House (1977)
11. It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012)
12. Divorce Italian Style (1961)
13. A Town Called Panic (2009)
14. Adaptation. (2002)
15. Duck Soup (1933)
16. Blithe Spirit (1945)
17. Observe and Report (2009)
18. Underground (1995)
19. Who Killed Captain Alex? (2010)
20. Bridesmaids (2011)
21. The Awful Truth (1937)
22. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988)
23. Braindead (1992)
24. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)
25. Time Bandits (1981)

Yeah, I had this on my list. I'm surprised it didn't at least make the backend of the list cause I think it's hilarious.

"We need more paramedics" That line always gets me

Yeah, I think it was far back as when Evil Dead 2 (which was also fairly far down) was revealed I realized this one had no chance. Despite having such a wide cultural impact on the zombie genre (or zombie parody genre), it does feel like one of those deeper cultural cuts.

Since we're already talking about it and tomorrow's the last day, The Return of the Living Dead was my #16...

Here's something I wrote back when I first saw it in 2014; which was late, considering I grew up in the 80s, and very much into horror...

What a freaky, fun film. I enjoyed it a lot, mostly because of the performances, particularly the interactions between James Karen (Frank) and Thom Matthews (Freddy). But not only is it fun, it also had its share of scares as the zombies start to overtake everything. The "tarman" zombie was also hilarious.
I think that, overall, Karen and the "tarman" were the highlights for me. Loved it.

Not sure if it has been mentioned here, but *just right now* I was reminded of John Cusack's Better Off Dead, and that should've been on my list. I love that film.

Airplane! was my #15, one of the funniest films of all-time, and it remains just as funny, if not more so, after fifty viewings. Of the final two films, one of them is my #1 and one is at #14, so I have a very clear favorite. I also realize I forgot about my #9 film that didn't make it, which is Woody Allen's masterpiece Manhattan, and the second of his I had.

My List:
2. Life of Brian (#20)
3. The Jerk (#24)
4. Playtime (#48)
5. Young Frankenstein (#4)
6. A Hard Day's Night (#103)
7. City Lights (#11)
8. Being John Malkovich (#44)
9. Manhattan (DNP)
10. Do the Right Thing (DNP)
11. Midnight in Paris (#114)
12. The Apartment (#29)
13. Modern Times (#39)
15. Airplane! (#3)
16. Bringing Up Baby (#22)
17. The Grand Budapest Hotel (DNP)
18. They All Laughed (DNP)
19. The Thin Man (DNP)
20. This Is Spinal Tap (#13)
21. One, Two, Three (#85)
22. Beetlejuice (#78)
23. Kind Hearts and Coronets (DNP)
24. Sullivan's Travels (#100)
25. The Long Goodbye (DNP)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm going out on a limb and saying everybody forgot to vote for Lebowski, Zombieland makes #2 and chaos ensues

The way this countdown has developed I wouldn't be overly surprised if it were Jaws #2 and The Straight Story #1

The way this countdown has developed I wouldn't be overly surprised if it were Jaws #2 and The Straight Story #1

Oh, that'd be nice for the list to end on a nice, life-reaffirming note.

Victim of The Night
I'm pretty sure The General is the one not making it.
That genuinely shocks me.
In this place, I assumed that one was gonna be way up there.

Victim of The Night
You JUST realized this?
Honestly, I did not think there was a version of this list where The General didn't make at last the top 50. I really, really didn't. And when we got to the top 10 I thought, "Wow, bully for Buster Keaton!"
Then I kinda forgot about it until now.
But, seriously, if someone tried to tell me The General won a comedy list made by cinephiles outright, I might have raised an eyebrow but I would not have been shocked. But tellin' me it didn't make the top one hundred and twenty?! Yeah, that catches me a bit off-guard.

Victim of The Night
Since we are down to two that I voted for, I'll go ahead and post my entire list with those two films being left out:

21. The Awful Truth (1937)
I love you.

Good to see some love for Jarmusch

Love Ghostbusters but because it's a 'comedy hybrid' as explained in a previous post, I have it at #63.

Hah I forgot about Teachers, the 80's were even cooler than I remember, thanks for refreshing my memory with that post..

Victim of The Night
Since we're already talking about it and tomorrow's the last day, The Return of the Living Dead was my #16...

Here's something I wrote back when I first saw it in 2014; which was late, considering I grew up in the 80s, and very much into horror...

I think that, overall, Karen and the "tarman" were the highlights for me. Loved it.
It's not a bad question, Burt.

Yeah, I had this on my list. I'm surprised it didn't at least make the backend of the list cause I think it's hilarious.

"We need more paramedics" That line always gets me
Hey Thief is The REturn of the Living Dead the one that had the half of a dead dog running at the medical warehouse. If so that was a real good horror/comedy.