My Favorite Ed Harris Performances

Tools    

This Hollywood icon has been working since the 1970's bringing substance and intensity to every performance, even though he has very rarely been the star of the film. He always makes his presence known in every role, serving the story and never preventing a co-star from shining. His work has earned him five Golden Globe nominations, four Oscar nominations, and three Emmy nominations. These are my favorite performances of the severely underrated Ed Harris:

Wanted to let you know that there are a couple of films of his that I know I want on this list, but I'm going to have to re-watch them to decide exactly where they will place on my countdown, so this list is going to take a little more time than I usually take, so feel free to comment on what films you'd like to see come up,

I thought he was very good in Pollock (2000) about the abstract painter Jackson Pollock. He even looked the part. It was hard to watch though. Harris also directed.

One of my favorite character actors, if not the favorite. Easily Top 3. He elevates anything he's in. The Rock is a great example of this, where he took what could've been a two-dimensional villain role and turned it into a more nuanced and complex character. Maybe more complex than any other character on the film.

As for overall favorite performances... Apollo 13 was a great one. The Truman Show, A History of Violence.

One of my favorite character actors, if not the favorite. Easily Top 3. He elevates anything he's in. The Rock is a great example of this, where he took what could've been a two-dimensional villain role and turned it into a more nuanced and complex character. Maybe more complex than any other character on the film.

As for overall favorite performances... Apollo 13 was a great one. The Truman Show, A History of Violence.
I agree. But I've also seen him in a couple of films where they evidently expected that his acting prowess would elevate a poorly written character, but it didn't. In those roles he really seemed awkward. Either that, or he was miscast. I wish I could remember the films, but I'm blanking out.

I agree. But I've also seen him in a couple of films where they evidently expected that his acting prowess would elevate a poorly written character, but it didn't. In those roles he really seemed awkward. Either that, or he was miscast. I wish I could remember the films, but I'm blanking out.
Definitely. Not everybody bats 1000% I think the last weak one where I saw him in was Geostorm, which I hated. But when i saw he was in, I thought, "Oh, he's gonna save this"... and then he didn't

Man, Mother!

Harris made the most of an underwritten role in this psychological thriller as an unwanted guest in the home of a famous poet (Jarvier Bardem) and his pregnant wife (Jennifer Lawrence).

Rear Admiral Chester Cain, Top Gun: Maverick

Even though he only had about five minutes of screentime, Harris still made an impression as the creepy commanding officer of Pete "Maverick" Mitchell (Tom Cruise), who decides to ground maverick after 30 years in the air, the move that kicks off the entire movie.

Lyle, The Lost Daughter

Harris made another small role a standout element of the film playing a lonely innkeeper trying to connect with one his guests, a vacationing schoolteacher (Oscar winner Olivia Colman) whose past is catching up to her present.

Besides all the fine films that have already been mentioned, I'd also suggest Sweet Dreams (1985) as a fine Ed Harris performance. Also Nixon (1995) as E. Howard Hunt.

I've actually never seen Nixon, but Sweet Dreams will definitely be on this list.
Nixon had 4 Oscar nominations, might be worth watching...especially if you ever do an Anthony Hopkins favorite performances.