Top Gun: Maverick (2022)

→ in
Tools    

I just watched this, and I am absolutely fuming to have not watched this in the theatres.
My lazy WFH arse choosing to not leave home, when this was in the theatres, has cost me a great theatre experience.

Still, I thoroughly enjoyed this even on my telly. I enjoyed it so much, that I even rewatched couple of scenes.

They got everything right.

Perfect homage to the original - Check
Great action sequences - Check
Goosebumps inducing music - Check
Thrills - Check
Great cinematography - Check
Characters you care for - Check

If by some miracle they rerelease this in the theatres here, then I am going to go for a watch just for the big screen experience.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
My first time going to a cinema since Dunkirk 2017 I think, really enjoyed it and really worth it.

I just watched this, and I am absolutely fuming to have not watched this in the theatres.
My lazy WFH arse choosing to not leave home, when this was in the theatres, has cost me a great theatre experience.

Still, I thoroughly enjoyed this even on my telly. I enjoyed it so much, that I even rewatched couple of scenes.

They got everything right.

Perfect homage to the original - Check
Great action sequences - Check
Goosebumps inducing music - Check
Thrills - Check
Great cinematography - Check
Characters you care for - Check

If by some miracle they rerelease this in the theatres here, then I am going to go for a watch just for the big screen experience.
So how did you watch it?

You're right that it's best to see it in a theater, with the biggest, best screen you can find, but, sadly, that wouldn't make this a better movie. As an exercise in "hootin-n-hollerin" jingoism, it was like a tired version of the early movie, the Disney ride version, too much like the westerns made in the 1980's. We saw all that in the first movie, and the recent one didn't add anything. A pose by Cruise and McGillis in the sunset wouldn't have looked all that good either, so at least we were spared that.

If they were doing a do-over, it's a shame that they didn't have Tom Skerritt (Viper) and Micheal Ironsides (Jester), who seemed a lot more believable as straight shooters than the narcissistic Tom Cruise who does little other than pose for the camera. I walked out of our big screen theater somewhat entertained, but also with the feeling that I'd never get those 2 hours back.

Only on telly so far, through Amazon Prime.

Still going on Thursday evening for an IMAX experience. It's still there. Only has few select shows in couple of theatres.
I don’t have Prime, but I could rent it from xfinity for the same price as Prime ($20). Not going to a movie theater any time soon so might be an option albeit an expensive one.

That's expensive. It's for 99 Rs which is roughly just over a dollar (1.24 $) here.
I’m confused. I thought you are in the UK.

A system of cells interlinked
You're right that it's best to see it in a theater, with the biggest, best screen you can find, but, sadly, that wouldn't make this a better movie. As an exercise in "hootin-n-hollerin" jingoism, it was like a tired version of the early movie, the Disney ride version, too much like the westerns made in the 1980's. We saw all that in the first movie, and the recent one didn't add anything. A pose by Cruise and McGillis in the sunset wouldn't have looked all that good either, so at least we were spared that.

If they were doing a do-over, it's a shame that they didn't have Tom Skerritt (Viper) and Micheal Ironsides (Jester), who seemed a lot more believable as straight shooters than the narcissistic Tom Cruise who does little other than pose for the camera. I walked out of our big screen theater somewhat entertained, but also with the feeling that I'd never get those 2 hours back.
Your mouth's writing checks your body can't cash!

Cruise is the best!

They should have brought back Anthony Edwards. Would have been nice to hang out with him a little more.

@Yoda I think this user got hacked. Someone seems to be making ridiculous posts using his login.

Better do something before he gets to the Star Wars movies and calls Yoda a loony language lizard and the worst wisdom whack job he ever hear of!

@Yoda I think this user got hacked. Someone seems to be making ridiculous posts using his login.

Better do something before he gets to the Star Wars movies and calls Yoda a loony language lizard and the worst wisdom whack job he ever hear of!
Nope. It's really me. I'm not generally all this sarcastic, but seeing the aging Tom Cruise defending democracy in a contemporary aircraft, using WW I tactics, just set me off.

FYI - I'm pretty well used up on Star Wars and LOTR iterations, probably won't see the new one, so those franchises are safe from my razor wit.

I wish. I wonder if it was the football that made you think that.
I am from Mumbai, India.
Totally. I assumed you are British. Since when does India follow soccer?