The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
now don't go adding insult to injury there, cowpoke! might just have to blow your pinky toe off.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Victim of The Night
So disappointed Harlem Nights didn't make this list. Pryor, Murphy, Redd Foxx, Hall, Della Reese? Come on, y'all. The cast alone should be an easy top 50. Lady Heroin must have seduced some of you folks cuz you ain't right.
I actually love that movie.

Harlem Nights is a lot like City Heat (1984) - which finally paired Eastwood and Burt Reynolds with a very strong supporting cast including Madeline Kahn, Richard Roundtree, Rip Torn, Jayne Alexander - a period piece that on paper should be a very fun and extremely satisfying project. But in execution...oh boy.

I hadn't bothered to watch Harlem Nights in a long, long time, but HBO had been running it again three or four months ago it and it was on HBO Max (not sure if it is still there now or not), so I re-watched it, beginning to end. It is so lifeless, in spite of the cast. Massively disappointing,

I was going to say I can't think of one without thinking of the other.

Victim of The Night
I do think the critical needle has moved a lot on this one over time. When the BBC did a top 100 comedies list (in, I think, 2017), Groundhog Day was even higher than it is here, at #4.

As far as this forum is concerned, we do appear to have moved into the true consensus phase--all of the last three movies to appear are the only ones (so far) with 20 or more votes each.
Yeah, I went and checked AFI, who had it at 34, which is a place that makes more sense to me but the World is an interesting place.

Victim of The Night
I'm at 6/10 or so on this movie, but I would agree that it's a lot better than its awful initial reception would suggest. Eddie and his comedy heroes in period costuming? Plenty to enjoy there.
I think the problem was Arsenio Hall. And I think maybe Jasmine Guy was in over her head.
Otherwise, there's not much to quibble with. I particularly liked Danny Aiello in this. But, to me, Pryor really steals the show as the Gentleman Godfather of the whole crew.

A system of cells interlinked
Groundhog Day was #4 on my list. I think I swapped Amelie and Groundhog Day back and forth about 30 times as I compiled my list, and ultimately gave Amelie the extra point in an effort to push it as high as possible on the list, and I knew Groundhog Day would have a good amount of support. I figured it was good for a Top 20 on this here site, but it seems to have exceeded that by a decent amount. Bravo!

Love this movie. Plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, and as people have mentioned, this film has a big heart, as well. I recall when seeing it in the theater, Phil had just come down to the hotel lobby after waking up one of the many times and he asks the old lady "Say, did anyone stop by looking for me? Perhaps a state official...cap...gun?" I just could not stop cracking up at that joke as I sat watching the rest of the film, and I would burst into little fits of laughter as the film progressed. I still use that joke today when I walk into the local lunch counter or some other establishment where I know the folks that run it.

No Groundhog Day for me, although I really dig that movie. Nice to see it here.

My list:
#2.Arthur-#111
#4.The In-Laws
#5.Blazing Saddles
#8.Stripes
#9.The Blues Brothers
#11.Arsenic and Old Lace
#12.Tootsie-#108
#13.Raising Arizona
#14.Animal House
#18.Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
#22.Caddyshack

I'm going to guess Airplane for tomorrow.
Nah, I'm willing to bet Airplane! is Top 3. I'm thinking Big Lebowski or Dr. Strangelove, just because they might be more niche than the others.

A system of cells interlinked
Nah, I'm willing to bet Airplane! is Top 3. I'm thinking Big Lebowski or Dr. Strangelove, just because they might be more niche than the others.
Strangelove gets a lot of love on the site, so I am thinking it is Top 3.

I'm predicting Strangelove to be number 1 and Lebowski top 5.

If The General somehow surprises us and makes the list, it's probably next. I don't think The General made the list.
I think it's Ghostbusters, Lebowski, Young Frankenstein in the next spot (from my guess as the most likely to least likely).

ETA: I can see all of them making the top 5, and it's just kind of guessing which one is most likely to not make the top 5.

1. Clue (1985)
2. XXXXXXXXX
3. Groundhog Day (1993)
4. XXXXXXXXX
5. XXXXXXXXX
6. XXXXXXXXX
7. XXXXXXXXX
8. Singin' in the Rain (1952)
9. XXXXXXXXX
10. XXXXXXXXX
11. Modern Times (1936)
12. Sullivan's Travels (1941)
13. XXXXXXXXX
14. Trading Places (1983)
15. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004)
16. XXXXXXXXX
17. XXXXXXXXX
18. XXXXXXXXX
19. It Happened One Night (1934)
20. XXXXXXXXX
21. XXXXXXXXX
22. XXXXXXXXX
23.XXXXXXXXX
24. XXXXXXXXX
25. XXXXXXXXX

I was hoping Groundhog day would win but oh well

Kubrick feels like the mofo god. Be surprised if it doesn’t win.

Outside of Airplane!*, Strangelove also doesn't have to worry about split votes the way Young Frankenstein, Holy Grail, or Lebowski do (some people preferring Blazing Saddles, Life of Brian, or lots of other Coen films).

*: I suspect very few people would have placed Naked Gun above Airplane! on their ballot.

373 points, 24 lists
Ghostbusters
Director

Ivan Reitman, 1984

Starring

Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver, Harold Ramis

Reply to Topic