Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

I really enjoyed it.
That's good to hear.

I know it's generally not permitted here, but I'm trying anyway.

I have a project with my girlfriend of watching the most interesting movies possible per year. Now we are at 1940 and there are some films we want to see, but cannot find. If I can pay online to rent these films, it would be fine by me, it doesn't have to be free.

I have tried online, at my local libraries, with no success. So if some of you know where to find any of these 2 films, send me a message or tell me, I'd highly appreciate it.

The 2 films are: The Mortal Storm and Remember the Night (I also leave the IMDB ID for both films)

Thanks!
Remember the Night is on YouTube for free.

Not a favorite - Bullet Train, which wants to be a Quentin Tarantino movie but ends up being a David Leitch movie. The object of desire is a steel suitcase full of money and gold, fairly cheesy as these things go, but it gets used a lot to deflect bullets. Brad Pitt is not bad, as Brad Pitt, the rest of the cast is functional. The ads mention Sandra Bullock, but she just shows up for a few minutes, mainly putting her latest plastic surgery on display. Oh well.

A variety of gangster bad guys are competing to get the suitcase and Pitt's character is some sort of good guy, but it doesn't really matter since what they mainly do is to carve a wake of bloody shootings, decapitations, stabbings, clubbings and tosses-off-buildings around Japanese cities.

I knew what the movie would be, expected it to be that strange genre of entertaining bloodbath, but it mainly was a bloodbath. It had its moments of humor, but it's not high on my list.

Not a favorite - Bullet Train, which wants to be a Quentin Tarantino movie but ends up being a David Leitch movie. The object of desire is a steel suitcase full of money and gold, fairly cheesy as these things go, but it gets used a lot to deflect bullets. Brad Pitt is not bad, as Brad Pitt, the rest of the cast is functional. The ads mention Sandra Bullock, but she just shows up for a few minutes, mainly putting her latest plastic surgery on display. Oh well.

A variety of gangster bad guys are competing to get the suitcase and Pitt's character is some sort of good guy, but it doesn't really matter since what they mainly do is to carve a wake of bloody shootings, decapitations, stabbings, clubbings and tosses-off-buildings around Japanese cities.

I knew what the movie would be, expected it to be that strange genre of entertaining bloodbath, but it mainly was a bloodbath. It had its moments of humor, but it's not high on my list.

Someone asked me, this morning, how the flick was. I could not waste a good snarky retort, so here it goes.

"I thought it was not that good. I'm middling on the genre itself, the humor of violent death, but there are plenty of movies of that sort where there's enough humor to outweigh the squirting arteries and severed limbs. Pitt's charm couldn't outweigh the rest of the cast, which seemed like extras in a TV show. When I finally DID see Bullock, I kept focusing on her new nose."

Road rage films mostly still work for me as I generally feel stressed behind the wheel. But on the minus side, everything now reminds me of Wild TalesCrime of Passion segment, to an unhelpful comedic effect.
This is pretty good, but unlike any Nordic film I’ve seen (off the top of my head), it’s ridiculously preachy. Drive slowly, follow the speed limit. I can understand the narrative about not insulting other drivers as in Wild Tales, but it really is up to the man if he wants to drive fast. Weird concept.
As a few reviews have noted, “do what the angry man says” is a strange message.

I don’t entirely “get” the supposed psychology of this film. The voiceover is also incredibly weird.
Another part of me however thinks this is a May/Carrie-type snobbery of lonely/introverted/socially awkward people, which is understandable, but an odd thing to become aware of.

Ginger Snaps (2000)

Road rage films mostly still work for me as I generally feel stressed behind the wheel. But on the minus side, everything now reminds me of Wild TalesCrime of Passion segment, to an unhelpful comedic effect.
This is pretty good, but unlike any Nordic film I’ve seen (off the top of my head), it’s ridiculously preachy. Drive slowly, follow the speed limit. I can understand the narrative about not insulting other drivers as in Wild Tales, but it really is up to the man if he wants to drive fast. Weird concept.
As a few reviews have noted, “do what the angry man says” is a strange message.
Added to watchlist

Someone asked me, this morning, how the flick was. I could not waste a good snarky retort, so here it goes.

"I thought it was not that good. I'm middling on the genre itself, the humor of violent death, but there are plenty of movies of that sort where there's enough humor to outweigh the squirting arteries and severed limbs. Pitt's charm couldn't outweigh the rest of the cast, which seemed like extras in a TV show. When I finally DID see Bullock, I kept focusing on her new nose."
I feel much better now about having bailed out of seeing it twice. I was about twenty feet away from the cinema having dinner and I just couldn’t do it.

I feel much better now about having bailed out of seeing it twice. I was about twenty feet away from the cinema having dinner and I just couldn’t do it.
Yeah, IMO, you didn't miss much. We went mainly because of the location of the theater, near dinner and an art opening that we needed to attend for a friend, and because we had already seen the other ones that were playing. It was a night on the town, which has been rare these weird couple years, but the movie was the low part.