The woke predator

Tools    

Point...or post? The "people shouldn't be able to just beat up the Predator" point seems, far from boneheaded, to be pretty unassailable, putting aside the framing.

A system of cells interlinked
Nah, they'll never have a human team up with a Predator again after AvP (and, to a lesser extent, The Predator).

Anyway, going to join the others in saying that OP's point is all kinds of boneheaded.
Yea, I have not seen either of those flicks... I know AVP has a sort of cult following, so it has some fans kicking around, but I heard The Predator was pretty dire.

Welcome to the human race...
Point...or post? The "people shouldn't be able to just beat up the Predator" point seems, far from boneheaded, to be pretty unassailable, putting aside the framing.
Post, then.

Victim of The Night
How to emasculate the predator ?

Cast a 25 yr old non muscular woman as a lead and let her beat the crap out of the predator and make it a movie about female empowerment and bait woke critics into liking it.

Really ? that's who you cast as lead ? just because she is Native American doesn't mean she is not a 25 yr old non muscular woman.
Yes, only muscular white men can possibly fight the Predator.

It was about on par with the previous film (Black's was the previous one, right).

Still, to be honest, even I find the OP rather boneheaded. I'm not saying there weren't issues, but the protagonist being a young woman isn't (in itself) among them.

To me, it was a decent timekiller worthy of 2.5/5.

Now I can't help but wonder if Harrison Ford had enough muscles to have taken on the entire Nazi army in Raiders.

It's kind of preposterous when you really think about it. Have you seen his arms?

How to emasculate the predator ?
Cast a 25 yr old non muscular woman as a lead and let her beat the crap out of the predator and make it a movie about female empowerment and bait woke critics into liking it.

Really ? that's who you cast as lead ? just because she is Native American doesn't mean she is not a 25 yr old non muscular woman.
The Pixie-Warrior is a favorite type of Joss Whedon. The 90-pound super-girl, butt-kicking the patriarchy. There is a Jason v. Goliath aspect here, the appeals of the underdog. There is the nominal feminist element of female empowerment (in the form of physical powers, which is a most infantile mode of empowerment). Women in the audience get to be the protag, which is a nice appeal for them. Men get to watch fit young women do bendy-flexi things which is a nice appeal for them. And since having some mandatory "progressive" element tacked onto your film to avoid the Twitter mob (hint, if you tell them to get stuffed, they disappear in a puff of smoke -- see Top Gun), it checks a box.

Even though Amber Midthunder is a member of Fort Peck Sioux Tribe, she looks more like "Becky" than "Sacagawea," more "Amber" than "Midthunder."

The choice of lead actress will allow white girls across the continent to imagine themselves as the hero and it will allow Native American girls to see what Hollywood wants them to look like. There are plenty of Native Women who look the part, but they went with conventional western beauty standards here, leaving us with Buffy the Predator Slayer. I'd rather see a larger framed girl with phenotypical features that would have more common at the time.

But this isn't reality. This is fantasy.

I don't care about this new movie, so I don't care who plays the lead. But why does her earrings look Photoshopped? Look at her left earlobe where the earrings pass through.

That does look weird. Perhaps she was injured battling the Predator?

Looks fine to me, what you appear to think is the front half I believe is actually the half out the back and vice versa. Just a tromp l'oeil I think.

As for the predator being woke, better that than a film with a sleepy one says I.

I'm all about female empowerment and giving a woman an opportunity in a film like this. Does she get naked???
Good one. To shake off the chains of patriarchy (and patriarchal constructs such as clothes) and free her raw power.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm all about female empowerment and giving a woman an opportunity in a film like this. Does she get naked???
Sorry but no. The Predator kills the guys before they can do that.

A system of cells interlinked
Hmm, seeing her without the Prey face paint etc., I realize this is the actress from Legion, which I liked, She had decent action chops in that show, so knowing this and finding out it was directed by the same guy that did 10 Cloverfield Lane, makes me think I might want to see Prey after all.

Also, some MoFos will recall I used to be a huge Buffy fan. It's not the empowerment et al. that annoys me, it's the ham-fisted dialogue in the trailer that has me rolling my eyes...

"Why do you want to hunt?"
"Because you don't think I can."

Can you be anymore on the nose?

Does anyone in this thread think that is good writing?

Not me. I think there ought to be an exclamation point at the end of her response.

Personally, my favorite deleted scene from the original is when Arnold disrobes, puts his hands on his nude hips, and laughs hysterically while the Predator felates him to its death.

And while I'm no anatomical scientist, it does make me wonder how a lady is supposed to do this kind of counter attack upon the Predator.

I certainly won't be wasting my money to find out!!!!!

Hmm, seeing her without the Prey face paint etc., I realize this is the actress from Legion, which I liked, She had decent action chops in that show, so knowing this and finding out it was directed by the same guy that did 10 Cloverfield Lane, makes me think I might want to see Prey after all.

Also, some MoFos will recall I used to be a huge Buffy fan. It's not the empowerment et al. that annoys me, it's the ham-fisted dialogue in the trailer that has me rolling my eyes...

Can you be anymore on the nose?

It seems like dreadful writing. But honestly not that much better than what we usually get in these movies.

FTR this movie will never be watched by me, whether good or bad. Predator stuff has no traction with me, even though I love the original