The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Annnnd DONE

f@ck me that was a lot. . .

Powell and Loy.
The Thin Man is such a departure from the book it's not even funny. Except that it is and that's the whole point of the movie. And it's just like BUB in that it is just super-snappy dialogue delivered by two masters at just that with great chemistry for 91 minutes.
You think so? I thought all in all the movie was rather faithful, except for the rather cliched (even then) ending. The movie is a bit lighter, but the book is a comedy. Anyhow, it's a shame The Thin Man won't make it, as it may have been on my own list.

Loved The Blues Brothers when they first appeared on SNL, then bought their debut album, and fell hard for The Blues Brothers, the movie, laughing all the way through. Nary a dull moment and the jokes and set pieces were great all the way. How difficult was it not to fall in love with Carrie Fisher as the weaponized ex of Jake Blues? The scene in the sewer tunnel with her, and Jake begging for his life with so many different combined excuses for skipping their wedding. The joy of seeing the real musicians in The Blues Brothers Band, including Steve Cropper and Donald "Duck" Dunn of Booker T. and the M.G.'s fame cranking out the music to Aykroyd and Belushi's not-bad front men. And man, the stunts. The impossibility of things like the Illinois Nazis going off an overpass in Chicago and suddenly they're dropping from a mile up in the air! And the real-life legends singing their hearts out. So much to love. Definitely made my list.

Life of Brian is good but not my favorite Monty Python movie. Don't want to be sacrilegious but, leading man or not in "Brian," I thought Graham Chapman gave a much better performance in "Holy Grail," and he was deep into his alcoholism then. Oh well, nice to see the lads represent and I believe they'll do it again.

My list:
#4.The In-Laws
#8.Stripes
#9.The Blues Brothers
#11.Arsenic and Old Lace
#13.Raising Arizona
#14.Animal House
#18.Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
#22.Caddyshack

I'll guess Ghostbusters and The General for today
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I had Life of Brian at #8. Excellent film, peak Python, one of my favourites, smart and funny and a lot is being said too. Always relevant and that ending is something. I'll give it a watch (or two) if need to cheer up.

I like Blues Brothers enough. Not a huge fan and am surprised it made it this high on the list - but it deserves a spot here.

4. Sherlock, Jr. (1924)
5. Being John Malkovich (1999)
7. Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006)
8. Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979)
9. A Fish Called Wanda (1988)
10. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
11. Superbad (2007)
13. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999)
14. Playtime (1967)
15. Dazed and Confused (1993)
17. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
18. Bringing Up Baby (1938)
19. Trading Places (1983)
23. Animal House (1978)
24. Singin' in the Rain (1952)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Ask A Policeman probably needs to show soon or it'll have missed out, can't really see it making Top 10. For the other one I'll go with The Return Of The Living Dead.

210 points, 13 lists
Annie Hall
Director

Woody Allen, 1977

Starring

Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Tony Roberts, Carol Kane

212 points, 16 lists
Office Space
Director

Mike Judge, 1999

Starring

Ron Livingston, Jennifer Aniston, David Herman, Ajay Naidu

i had five Woody Allen films on my list, but I did not include Annie Hall.

I didn't care for Office Space. Haven't seen Annie Hall.

I adore Annie Hall's comedic take on Bergman surrealism. But I'm kinda disappointed other Woody Allen movies aren't making it.

Annie Hall was my #7. For me, it is Woody Allen's best film. I saw Office Space once years ago. I thought it was fine, but nothing special.

Woody Allen's Oscar-winner Annie Hall was #30 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s. This is the MoFo List debut of Mike Judge's Office Space. Just don't ask it about its flair.

PHOENIX74
I forgot the opening line.
Okay, still looks like surprises are coming in...

I consider Woody Allen's comedy phase to consist of films like Take the Money and Run, Bananas and Sleeper. Once he'd got to Annie Hall, I didn't consider them out-and-out comedies anymore. I thought they were a definite progression in being meaningful and artistic, and had plenty of humour and jokes in them, but I didn't consider them just "comedies" - so despite really loving it, I didn't vote for Annie Hall.

I really wasn't expecting Office Space to grab a lofty position above so many classics - but it's one I haven't watched in quite a while, so I'll classify it as one I haven't seen, because I can't remember much apart from that funny paranoid character who is more crazy than any of the other characters and takes office rules and stationary really seriously. Obviously didn't consider this one either. Are we still going to get hit by these in the top 10? Maybe - and I kind of like that.

Seen 66½/84

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Reply to Topic