CURRENT MOVIE CLICHES

Tools    

I've noticed "downrange" and "copy that" are in just about every macho shoot 'em up now.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I was getting at the latter. But could be either, I suppose.

I really wanted kids at one point. And then it… passed. 🤷🏼*♀️
Oh well it's just my women friends say women having children is an ideal of the patriarchy, as men wanting children more in other words it seems, but maybe that is not correct.

Oh well it's just my women friends say women having children is an ideal of the patriarchy, as men wanting children more in other words it seems, but maybe that is not correct.
You’ve lost me.

You're An Oper8tor? You're Boss is the Baddie

Are you a person with "very particular set of skills" presently working for BIG AGENCY? Are you a gray man, Navy Seal, CIA Field Agent, or some other part of the ACME Badass Inc.? If so, your boss, or the boss of your boss wants you dead.

Shocking, I know. But I assure you, it's true.

The whole agency will be sent after you. And INTERPOL will probably be after you too and there will probably be a car chase in some Euro-town or city that will have a prominent TITLE CARD when we're shown the exciting exotic location. We will watch you in the BIG ROOM with lots of SCREENS as the Geek Squad tries to track you down across the globe. Your colleagues, especially those in the SUPER-SECRET PROGRAM that created you as an ultimate bad dude will be sent to kill you. Inevitably you possess some secret that would hurt BIG AGENCY if LEGITIMATE GOVERNMENT found out (LEGITIMATE GOVERNMENT would be scandalized to learn about all dirty things that have been happening!). You must survive so the truth about SUPER-SECRET PROGRAM can come to light and BIG AGENCY can be brought to heel by LEGITIMATE GOVERNMENT.

Only you can complete this mission. But take heart. This is a mission we've seen you complete, dear protagonist, so very many times by now. We'll warm up the popcorn popper. You stretch a little so you can do all that Parkour.

Welcome to the human race...
I'm sick to death of characters in the movies saying "I get it." It seems to be present in all dialogue exchanges. Whatever happened to "I understand", "Okay", or "I see what you mean"...
In what world is saying "okay" somehow less of a cliché than "I get it"?

Then there’s the trope of the actress who doesn’t want to do nudity (which is fine) & who keeps half of her clothes on during sex.
It would be like actor and actress will enjoy the sense but audition won't.

In what world is saying "okay" somehow less of a cliché than "I get it"?
Indeed! I think “I get it” as a way of interrupting someone who perhaps is over-explaining etc. makes perfect sense. “Okay”, however, is exasperating.

Personally, I tend to use the word “fine” a lot in these cases, but never hear it in movies.

Indeed! I think “I get it” as a way of interrupting someone who perhaps is over-explaining etc. makes perfect sense.
One of my very worse habits is trying to stop someone explaining something I already know. Especially mansplainers.

One of my very worse habits is trying to stop someone explaining something I already know. Especially mansplainers.
Exactly! I think that’s precisely the context for “I get it”, with a sprinkle of sarcasm.

Exactly! I think that’s precisely the context for “I get it”, with a sprinkle of sarcasm.
I hate it when people ramble on & on. Especially if they’re talking at me rather than to me.

One that really rubbed me the wrong way this morning is the protagonists in all kinds of sci-fi always needing to be affiliated/in contact with the FBI. Be that The X-Files (though to be fair, that’s one of the better examples), Travelers or whatnot. Obviously it’s a plotting gift for these groups to be able to easily legitimise themselves in their new reality/future/past/parallel world/whatever, but it’s unspeakably lazy. Also I can never suspend my disbelief that the FBI wouldn’t just tell them to **** off. It would be much more interesting (and provide the coveted stakes) for these people to be perpetually at risk of being shot/jailed/put in a psych ward by the powers that be.

Lost Hope/Hell's Ball/Party Rockers

In July 1518, residents of the city of Strasbourg (then part of the Holy Roman Empire) were struck by a sudden and seemingly uncontrollable urge to dance. The hysteria kicked off when a woman known as Frau Troffea stepped into the street and began to silently twist, twirl and shake. She kept up her solo dance-a-thon for nearly a week, and before long, some three-dozen other Strasbourgeois had joined in. By August, the dancing epidemic had claimed as many as 400 victims. With no other explanation for the phenomenon, local physicians blamed it on “hot blood” and suggested the afflicted simply gyrate the fever away. A stage was constructed and professional dancers were brought in. The town even hired a band to provide backing music, but it wasn’t long before the marathon started to take its toll. Many dancers collapsed from sheer exhaustion. Some even died from strokes and heart attacks. The strange episode didn’t end until September, when the dancers were whisked away to a mountaintop shrine to pray for absolution.

Breaking Bad - Jessie Pinkman, wracked with grief and guilt and trapped a job that literally has a dead end, starts a party at home as a distraction. It's a party he's paying for and a party he insists cannot end. Peaches had a song featured in Lost in Translation called F*** the Pain Away and Jessie is trying to party and dance the pain away.

It's a desperate strategy which is doomed from the start. Elation gives way to exhaustion and the party becomes a grating marathon.

This "upside down," this darkside of the bacchanal is mocked in Key and Peele's parody of LMFAO's Party Rockers

However, one does not need to go to parody to find the themes of exhaustion and even possession in party rock videos. Consider the video to "Turn Down for What" in which people appear to be having the time of their lives, but who dance to exhaustion, completely enthralled with sensual passion even to the point of incestual contact, their engorged sex-organs literally leading them to spread the contagion to other revelers.

The idea of the Ball of the Damned is also featured in Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell at a palace called "Lost Hope" in the land of the faerie in which the man with the thistledown hair tortures the sleeping souls of his human companions with dancing revels that never end in his palace. In their waking hours they're exhausted and hope for death, but the party never ends.

Perhaps the psychological roots of this terror come from the secret loathing people have of parties. Survey research has revealed that the average person does not feel socially comfortable at parties, and yet we all show up, at some point in our lives to sample what they have to offer. Perhaps it is the recognition of the futility of the death-denial implicit in such fertility rituals, the ritual itself hinting at the terrors that would come to us if we were eternally denied the release of the grave.

As I see it, this one is not quite yet a cliche, but form which is lingering in our collective subconscious in some form or fashion.

Most important, these repetitions bespeak the dangers of letting our youth taste dangerous enthusiasms, lest they be possessed and consumed by them. Specifically, "square" as it sounds, we must keep an eye out for defiant outbreaks of dancing among the teenage population as they may only be a few degrees of Kevin Bacon from damnation.

Yours in Chastity,

Rev. Shaw Moore

Perhaps the psychological roots of this terror come from the secret loathing people have of parties. Survey research has revealed that the average person does not feel socially comfortable at parties, and yet we all show up, at some point in our lives to sample what they have to offer. Perhaps it is the recognition of the futility of the death-denial implicit in such fertility rituals, the ritual itself hinting at the terrors that would come to us if we were eternally denied the release of the grave.
Say what?

I'd explain it to you, but you don't quite have a grasp on the concept of genre and you're about as much fun to talk to as a paper cut.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I guess this isn't a current movie cliche, but it seems that every movie I have come across in the 80s that takes place in Chicago, has to have a saxophone dominating the soundtrack.

I guess this isn't a current movie cliche, but it seems that every movie I have come across in the 80s that takes place in Chicago, has to have a saxophone dominating the soundtrack.

The 80s had a kind of odd obsession with the sax.

I think that there are instrument-cliches.

Unaccompanied Piano -- We want you to feel sad. Seriously, please be sad or at least melancholy.

Unaccompanied Electric Guitar -- Awe, general badassery.

Unaccompanied Synthesizer -- Coldness, danger, fear, dystopia.

Unaccompanied Saxaphone -- "It's Sexy time" or "I'm gettin' to old for this s**t."