The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
One vote. After Hours was my #22. Scorsese's always had a knack for comedy despite having done very few films that could genuinely qualify as straightforward examples of the same, but his most direct exercise in making one is easily one of his top 10 films as far as I'm concerned so I had to throw it a nod. I've seen Arsenic and Old Lace twice - the first time I thought it was pretty funny, but the second time I cooled on it hard so I'm just whatever on it at this point.

A system of cells interlinked
After Hours was #20 on my list. Glad to see it made up so high on the list. I knew Holden would have it on his list, but wasn't sure how many others liked it well enough.

For those of us that live in the Northeast and have taken a cab from time to time, we have all had a driver like the one in After Hours. Some big galoot with his window down, leaning on the door frame, somehow managing to hit every pothole in the road, and won't respond no matter what you say, save to ask for the fare...

Seen After Hours, meant to see Arsenic and Old Lace some time in the past year when it was on the Criterion Channel before it left, but other things took priority.

After Hours was a late, so close to making it, cut. It and two other movies were competing for my #14 spot for my, "general, very good, dark comedies that didn't get specifically named otherwise," and it was basically a toss up. Ultimately I went for one of the other two for flimsy reasons.
Now that it looks like the one I did choose probably won't make it, I guess maybe I chose poorly.

I think there's a legitimate question of why didn't I bump something lower for After Hours then? I don't have a good answer beyond, I didn't want to make everything a dark comedy.

I think almost my entire ballot could almost summarized as:
Dark
Acidic
Satire
Horror (generally the most light hearted ones)

I've never seen After Hours. I guess I should?

Arsenic and Old Lace is another all-time favorite. When I was a kid there were two VHS tapes that we could reliably count on to be available to take out of the library down the street, and this was one of them (the other will show up later in the countdown). So I probably watched it at least 10 or 20 times back then, and many times since. Here's my 10/10 review from two years ago (which also reveals the other movie to come...). Arsenic and Old Lace was my #4.

I've never seen After Hours. I guess I should?

I'm a little surprised by that, and will venture forth an answer to your possibly rhetorical question with a, "yes, probably."

I'm a little surprised by that, and will venture forth an answer to your possibly rhetorical question with a, "yes, probably."
It will go on the list of "movies I haven't seen, probably should see, and may someday get around to" that I keep in my head. Not the safest place, if I'm honest.

It will go on the list of "movies I haven't seen, probably should see, and may someday get around to" that I keep in my head. Not the safest place, if I'm honest.

Midnight Run is on a similar list for me and that sounds about right.

ETA: though Midnight Run is on sale on iTunes right now for $5, so it's going into the library, and at least has that going for it.

somehow, after hours is the first film to appear from my list (#11). haven’t seen it in ages but i adored it when i watched it and would probably rank it as my 4th favorite scorsese.

love cary grant and capra but haven’t seen arsenic and old lace yet
criticker

I watched After Hours for the same hall of fame in 2013 as The Apartment, and gave it the same rating. I don’t remember much outside of the opening credits
I watched After Hours, add me to the "wooh! what a cool Scorsese movie" group, I think that's the name of the clique at least. It felt like an exploration of the weird from the very start, and later became more and more surreal. I've said many time that I like everything goes wrong comedies, and hell this ones a classic. I just watched it an hour or so ago, so maybe I'll have more to say later on. An overall entertaining film, and even thrilling, I actually got scared when the goths were trying to give Bruce a mohawk, am I getting old?

Haven’t seen the other

I've seen both After Hours and Arsenic and Old Lace several times each. I'm not a big fan of either, though I can appreciate them. I rated both the same.

After Hours (1985)

Griffin Dunne is just trying to get home to his apartment but keeps getting side tracked by ever increasingly strange encounters with the denizens of NYC...

My favorite 'encounter' was with Terri Garr. It was so funny when they first showed her because instantly I noticed the 1960s fashion style she sported. I remember watching Terri on Late Night with David Letterman, Letterman had a big crush on her and she was a regular on his show. She was a good guest too and always fun to watch. I remember she often would talk about being a young adult in the 1960s and she'd also talk about being in the 1968 movie Head which starred The Monkeys.

So with that knowledge locked in my head, as soon as I seen her in that beehive hairdo with that dress and go-go boots, I got her character. Even funnier, when back at her apartment she does her little dance and ask Griffin Dunne if he likes The Monkeys.

Arsenic and Old Lace
(1944)

Arsenic and Old Lace was completed in 1941 but not released until 1944. Coming from the tail end of the 1930s, you can kind of get the feel of the 1930s screw ball comedy here.

I really liked the cast, especially Priscilla Lane, she's a real doll in this and is a natural at comedy. So is Jack Carson who played the cop who dreams of being a playwright and Peter Lorre who's hilarious as Dr Einstein. And the two older actresses who played the two eccentric aunts, were priceless.

Cary Grant is on record for not liking his performance in Arsenic and Old Lace, he especially didn't like the couple of reactionary mug shots he does to the camera. I thought they worked well and were fitting for the style of film. I thought Cary was great in this.

After Hours: Is great, but like any movie that runs on a kind of manic energy, I find it loses steam in the last twenty minutes. I think I only have about an hour and twenty minutes where I can tolerate an avalanche of unfortunate coincidences and piss poor luck. It's unfortunate, because I think Catherine O Hara is one of the more interesting characters he runs into in the film, and yet by the time she shows up in the last third I'm already beginning to check out. That first hour and change though is pretty spectacular stuff though.

Arsenic and Old Lace is something I know I really like, but I can't remember much as its been years. In short though, any comedy which has Cary Grant in it is going to get the best of Cary Grant. Such a rare combination of overwhelming charm and perfect comedic timing. A legend, and rightfully so.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
In After Hours, Griffin Dunne gives his most full-blooded performance - his bloodiest and my fave is An American Werewolf in London. He spends the craziest night anyone could, some of it due to his own stubbornness and the rest due to an apparent series of jokes by God or the Devil or just-plain-crazy humans. Very funny for those on the wavelength.

Arsenic and Old Lace is a Capra film with almost none of his themes apparent, but that's reasonable since it's basically a straight adaptation of the play, albeit by the Epstein Brothers, who co-wrote Casablanca. This film has a strange production history. Capra shot it in late 1941 and enlisted while filming it. He got an extension to enter the Armed Forces until after he finished editing it. Meanwhile, Warner Bros. made a deal that it would not release the film until after the play completed its run on Broadway, which it did in June 1944, so the film was released in September of that year. As far as the film itself goes, Boris Karloff wanted to be in it, but the Broadway producers wouldn't release him, so Raymond Massey plays his part in what may be his greatest (straight-faced) comedic performance ever. The plot, about two little old ladies (Josephine Hull and Jean Adair) who poison lonely men and have their wacko nephew (John Alexander), who thinks he's Teddy Roosevelt, bury them in the "Panama Canal" down in the cellar, is pretty well-known and full of twists and turns and plenty of dark humor. My two fave performances though are probably Peter Lorre as plastic surgeon Dr. Einstein and Jack Carson as the new cop on the beat who just happens to have written a murder mystery play he wants to show the famous theatre critic Mortimer Brewster (Cary Grant).

I've heard of What We Do In The Shadows, but I thought it was a TV show, and I didn't know that it was a comedy, so I haven't seen it.
The film came out first, but a few years later, the same team released a TV show under the same premise and set in the same universe, but with different characters. Both are great.

Two donuts for me. Haven't seen either.

Seen: 55/74

My ballot:  

I loved Arsenic and Old Lace when I was younger but didn't care for it when I watched it recently.

I was indifferent to After Hours when it came out but now I'm a fan.

Surprised I haven't seen Wolf of Wall Street mentioned, especially given how recent it is.

I haven't seen What We Do In Shadows. I've added it to my list.

I've never heard of it, but there seems to be a lot of love for it here, I may have to check it out too.

I loved Arsenic and Old Lace when I was younger but didn't care for it when I watched it recently.

I was indifferent to After Hours when it came out but now I'm a fan.

Surprised I haven't seen Wolf of Wall Street mentioned, especially given how recent it is.

Wolf of Wall Street was one of my last cuts. I think that was probably a mistake