Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

TROG I will be revisiting my contribution to the Hall of Infamy. I am ticked off that I have to pay $2.99 to rewatch this turkey.
That's the only one I have left to watch. If you don't want to pay for it, let me know if you need a link.

I forgot the opening line.
Excited about this - first viewing :

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Didn’t actually plan on ever watching it, but have been working closely with Brazilian clients/on Brazil issues in recent years, so, **** it. Thinking about Dom Phillips and it’s suddenly less abstract.

Spellbound. From my Youtube library. I have seen it once. but i must have been a little tired, since the story is a little unclare in my head.
Now i want to add some good movies to this list, because i have seen them all. It is 71 movies there right now. Some are poor quality though.

Tonight's noir film - Dark Passage, which does double duty as one of those Bogart-Bacall flicks. This time, Bogie escapes from San Quentin and is met by Bacall, who knows who he is and helps him in his escape, even though he doesn't know who she is. This being a noir film, of course complications and lots of cynical dialog happen. Bogart's character gets a plastic surgeon to change his face, but he's still Bogart. Escape to South American is their way out. Personally, if I were Irene (Lauren Bacall's character) I'd have just stayed out of this mess, but then, it would not be a noir film. She believes that he's innocent. We (the omniscient viewers) will never know. A lot of it is filmed with a kind of first-person perspective, as though we are seeing through Bogart's eyes, an interesting gimmick, but definitely a gimmick. Don't miss the taxi cab ride, a great sequence.

Tonight's movie was Nope - A new film by Jordan Peele, who wrote, directed and produced. I've loved Peele's earlier movies, notably Get Out and Us, since, in his bones, he seems to be a guy who understands cheesy horror movies and how to make them better. In Nope, an African American guy has a business training and supplying horses to the movie industry. A number of businesses like that have long been supplying horses for movies and TV in real life. Otis Haywood (played by Daniel Kaluuya), is being challenged by a competitor.

Then things change. Electricity fluctuates, strange things fly around and a UFO appears. The UFO sucks up his competitors like ET with a big vacuum cleaner, and gets ready to suck up Otis and his family too. Why? Who knows. Before it's over, Otis has to figure out how the UFO is vulnerable to save his business and family.

I really enjoyed this. As a fan of old, geeky monster/sci-fi movies, this is right up my 15 year old alley. It's not as simple as The Creature from the Black Lagoon, but has some plot turns that make it more interesting. The characters are appealing, as is the plot exposition. In short, it's a better version of movies like The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, a homage that's better than what it imitates. The UFO is unlike any one I've seen in movies, a sort of fabric monster. It's a fun movie. Peele, being the guy behind the curtain, seems to love this kind of movie...a latter day Roger Corman. If you've liked Peele's other movies, this one won't disappoint.

Never watch Russian-language stuff, but this is a worthy exception.
Loved this one, the DVD box is sitting next to me right now.