The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I forgot to vote for Chaplin lol

But Modern Times would have been the one I voted for.

I am an undying fan of Amélie (clicky HERE) and placed it high on my ballot for all six of the previous MoFo lists it was eligible for - it made five of them. But as much as I adore it I decided to keep it off of my ballot this time, simply to make room for things I haven't voted for before. It was still difficult to cut, one of the last five I jettisoned. I am heartened to see that there is enough MoFo love for it to make the top fifty even without my support, this round.

Modern Times is great, of course, and though my Chaplin vote would have gone to The Great Dictator this one is a close second, in my book.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Another one from my list. Borat is hilarious and I actually hold it very high regard. I also made my top 25 of the 2000s list.

4. Sherlock, Jr. (1924)
5. Being John Malkovich (1999)
7. Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006)
10. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
13. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999)
14. Playtime (1967)
15. Dazed and Confused (1993)
24. Singin' in the Rain (1952)

Dumb and Dumber is dumb fun but for the Farrelly Bros I go with Kingpin instead. I don't think it will make it, though.

Amelie is a very good movie that I haven't seen in a long time. I think referring to it as just "cute" as some have is underselling it significantly.

Modern Times..well it's Chaplin. Sure he's no Buster Keaton but he's alright, eh.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Being John Malkovich (1999)

Craig Szchwart: I've fallen in love, and this is what people who've fallen in love look like.
Maxine: Well, you picked the unrequited variety. It's very bad for the skin.

Strange and completely out there, it still remains exceedingly engaging, and the second half of the insanity of this particular "Rabbit Hole" is a helluva ride.

Clue (1985)

Miss Scarlet: Maybe there is life after death.
Mrs. White: Life after death is as improbable as sex after marriage!

Very happy to see this screwball comedy that originally bombed and somehow found its audience via VHS and Cable Networks. A bit cornball at times, but for me, that's in its favor.

Dumb and Dumber (1994)

Harry Dunne: She gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her or something. I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention.

I had rewatched this, finding it on Netflix, a couple of days after sending in my vote, and with the serious amount of laughter that ensued, I was shaking my head, thinking, "I REALLY needed to put this on my list." So, d@mn glad to see it here.
It IS a smorgasbord of stupid comedy but MY GOD, how it works! Especially with the pairing of Jeff Daniels, who truly holds his own and at times shines even more so than Jim Carey in so many outlandish misadventures.

Borat! Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006) is one I had never had, and most likely won't have, any desire to see.

Coming in at #9 on my list:

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain aka Amélie (2001)
Amélie:[to her father, who is not paying attention] I had two heart attacks, an abortion, did crack... while I was pregnant. Other than that, I'm fine.

This is very much my kind of whimsical, with a delightful and, at times, almost diabolical adeptness at trickery in our main character, played wonderfully by Audrey Tautou. Amelie is a pixie of a girl with all the mischief and joy for life and love while being too drenched in shyness to venture forth to experience it herself. Amelie decides to dedicate her energies and elaborate plans to aiding others.
Equally enjoyable, or perhaps even a little more so, was when she exacted a kind of revenge. One of my favorites was near the beginning, in her childhood, on the neighbor who told her taking photos causes accidents. Or rather, his reactions as she'd pull the connection to his TV up on the roof every time his team scored a goal.
This came in second to the torment of the grocery owner. Those were priceless.
Couple these with the beautiful and delightfully eccentric moments of discovering the secret behind the torn-up photos from the photo machine and the sprinkling of "bread crumbs" for the man she has a crush on and getting her dad to go on a journey by stealing his gnome and sending photos of him in different cities was adorable as all get out.

Modern Times (1936)

Along with his humorous escapades, hilarious chase routines, and getting in trouble, there is a lot of heart and soul in a Charlie Chaplin movie. A desire for something more noble and beautiful in a dirty, harsh world. The Tramp (to use a Lebowski term) abides. Many of his films end in him walking off in his signature gait. Of course, in this one, he is accompanied for the one and only time by his costar, Paulette Goddard. Which definitely says a lot for the Tramp and his countless attempts at love in prior shorts.

While a comedic vehicle, there are several statements about humanity and the difficult times of the 30s as the Tramp suffers through them with his penchant for smile and charm. No matter how many times he's tossed into the paddy wagon. Whether he was guilty or not. His soul, his heart, remains intact. Even in the closing of the film, unemployed and homeless, again, he faces it, reminding his now partner to smile. And off they go.
Giving the audiences of the time, and us, a little more determination to continue on and keep our hearts light doing it.

Watched: 51 out of 62 (82.25%)
1. Kung Fu Hustle (2004) #66
7. What's Up, Doc? (1972) #59
9. Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain aka Amélie (2001) #40
25. Megamind (2010) One Pointer

One Pointers: 18 out of 42 (40.47%)

Rectification List
1. Mean Girls (2004) #67

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Interestingly, so far four movies from my list showed up, all of them are from the Black&White Film Era.
Still can't hit a modern comedy.

Im guessing some classics tommorow
Rules of the Game
night at the opera

Didn't vote for it because I figured that it wouldn't make it, I did the same to clueless when not voting for it and look what happened it made it lol, Mean Girls made it so luckily I voted for it.
There's no way "Easy A" would beat "Mean Girls", especially this high on the chart.

I love Amélie and as soon as I saw it, I was totally smitten by Audrey Tautou. But I never considered it for this comedy countdown.

Modern Times is the biggest Chaplin I've never seen. I truly intend to rectify that. So, I've skunked out for today.

My list:
#4.The In-Laws
#8.Stripes
#18.Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Amélie for the Foreign Language Countdown, but I thought it was more of a charming quirky movie than a comedy.

Modern Times is one of the Chaplin movies that I've seen, and I like it, but it didn't make my list.

There's no way "Easy A" would beat "Mean Girls", especially this high on the chart.
Yea I don't think it will make it now but just rooting for to just to mess around

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Welcome to the human race...
Wait, wait, somehow I'm only just noticing that there were four other titles entered into this thread? How in the hell...

In any case, no votes. Being John Malkovich is as fine an instance of Kaufman crafting a sufficiently off-kilter high-concept as one could ask for and Jonze proves a good translator for the idea (certainly two artists that are better together than apart). I've seen Clue once while drunk but I still had fun with its dizzying attempts to build a narrative out of a literal boardgame, albeit one whose peculiar murder mystery premise translates into a delightful piece of work with some great performers. Dumb and Dumber is borderline insufferable. Borat holds up depressingly well (enough so that it makes a sequel seem virtually superfluous for how much it has to pick away at the same targets even with the eponymous journalist bringing along a daughter who is every bit as much of a wacky character as he is).

143 points, 9 lists
Superbad
Director

Greg Mottola, 2007

Starring

Jonah Hill, Michael Cera, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Bill Hader

146 points, 9 lists
A Fish Called Wanda
Director

Charles Crichton, 1988

Starring

Jamie Lee Curtis, John Cleese, Kevin Kline, Michael Palin

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
A Fish Called Wanda? Meh it's horrible.

I do remember liking Superbad. Looks like I'm first to win the prediction game.

Never had any interest in Superbad, A Fish Called Wanda is ok but wouldn't have made my ballot.

Seen: 33/64

Superbad just never hit the spot for me, it's not a total bust but my laughs were limited

Never seen A Fish Called Wanda, I do love me some John Clease though

Trivia: Michael Palin's Father Stuttered, so Palin used a lot of his real life experience while playing Ken Pile, including the fact that Ken's stutter is less pronounced around people he trusts (George Thomason and Wanda Gershwitz) and worse around people with whom he is uncomfortable (Otto West).

Reply to Topic