The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'm going to spitball a guess that we're about due for a lower ranking Marx Brothers' movie. I don't know what that would be since I've only seen two of them, and one of them I'm guessing is a high ranking one.

So... A Day at the Races, just because I don't know how widely seen that one is comparatively.

135 points, 13 lists
Dumb and Dumber
Director

Peter Farrelly, 1994

Starring

Jim Carrey, Jeff Daniels, Lauren Holly, Teri Garr

138 points, 9 lists
Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
Director

Larry Charles, 2006

Starring

Sacha Baron Cohen, Ken Davitian, Luenell, Pamela Anderson

That's not true. I actually applauded how the list was going. This is a pretty recent spin.

Trivia: The police were called on Sacha Baron Cohen ninety-two times during the production of the film.

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Really people.....

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006) was #22 on my ballot.

Dumb and Dumber was #59 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1990s. This is the first appearance of the original Borat! Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan on a MoFo List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I always like to share this story about Dumb and Dumber. The film was released in December 1994. That's when I finished my first semester in college. My very last day of class, projects, tests, etc. I got home shortly after noon and collapsed in bed. Fell asleep, until at around 3pm, I heard someone calling me outside. It was two of my best friends from college, came to pick me up so we could go out and do something, vent the stress of the final day. We hung around for a while but eventually we ended up going to the movies and watching this, and I have to say it was one of the most memorable movie-going experiences for me. We laughed our asses off. It was the perfect film for the perfect moment. Still, as memorable as that moment is for me, I really haven't seen the film in a good while. I'm really not sure how it would fare now, so it was one of my very last cuts.

As for Borat, I remember laughing with it, but I barely remember it now. No chance.

Seen: 45/60

My ballot:  

PHOENIX74
I forgot the opening line.
If I'd had Dumb and Dumber on my list, I would have given up on it by now - it's a pretty high placing considering the years behind it. I'd rank it as above average, but not on a list of my most beloved comedies. All I remember off the top of my head is that cute doggy car, and Jim Carrey peeing in a bottle, which a cop subsequently drinks. And awful, belated sequels. It was a deserved hit, and I love Jeff Daniels though. I think his performance outshone Carrey's actually.

Borat was part of my list calculations, but ultimately couldn't find a spot. Definitely top 50 stuff there, and a brilliant comedy. Very pleased to see it on the list, and it ticks off another prediction I made. I love Sacha Baron Cohen's tolerance for awkwardness and allowing himself to be embarrassed. Sometimes it just seems a little off, but with Borat and this film everything he did 100% worked - and at stages in red states it seemed like he was risking life and limb for his comedy. What a movie. It almost deserves a higher placing, but top 50 as a film that's solely a comedy is great stuff. Thanks Borat voters!

Seen : 45/60

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Wooley
Victim of The Night
Funny, I can totally see how both of these make a list like this.
Unfortunately for me, I cannot really say I've seen either film all the way through.
Just couldn't make it. Borat I never even really tried, I saw a few scenes and that was enough for me to know it wasn't for me.
Dumb and Dumber I knew would be on here but I have still never made it all the way through the film in one sitting despite multiple attempts. I am virtually certain I have seen the entire film at this point and significant portions at least thrice, but I simply cannot sit through the whole thing.
In a funny way, it's fitting to me that these came back to back because, for my personal taste, and again, I acknowledge that both of these were big hits and deserve to make the list for all the people that do enjoy the, but for me, both of these films are exactly like nails on a chalkboard continuously for about an hour and half.

Not seen either. Might get round to Dumb And Dumber one day but I've seen a few clips from Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan and it's not something I'll ever have any interest in watching.

Seen: 30/60

Wooley
Victim of The Night
I can only guess they meant "early on" in Cary Grant's career? No Cary Grant movies have made the countdown. Yet. Of course he starred in MANY comedies in addition to Arsenic & Old Lace including Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday, The Philadelphia Story, The Awful Truth, Charade, and over a dozen more. I'll set the over/under at three for how many show up in the collective top forty-two.
And, amusingly, five of the six you named here made it to my last cut and it is possible more than one made my 25.

mark f
Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Dumb and Dumber and Borat each have some big laughs. My fave part out of the two is probably the nude wrestling scene in Borat. Never considered either.

Dumb And Dumber was my 17. It’s a nostalgia pick, but definitely one of the movies that made me laugh the most on a first time watch. Seen it many many times and I quote it all the time. Really does have many timeless bits. My favorite line is still “that John Denver”s full of ***** man”.

Two hours of Borat was pretty unbearable. I don’t hate the idea. I don’t even hate some of the bits and lines. Just one of those things that becomes too much and pretty insufferable.

I have never had much use for The Farrelly Brothers. I figured at least one if not both of their two biggest hits, Dumb and Dumber and There's Something About Mary, would make the collective list. I suppose Mary could still be coming, and if Kingpin were going to show it surely would have placed by now. None of them have ever worked for me, even if they have Bill Murray in them.

I had the first Borat movie in the mix for my Top 25 for a long time before cutting it around forty. For how much and how hard I laughed at that first screening in a sold out theater I probably should have included it on my ballot. I figured it would make the list either way so I cut it for some lesser-known favorites in hopes they may creep onto the bottom half of the list. That strategy doesn't seem to have paid off, but hey, at least Borat is here. Very nice!

I proudly had Dumb & Dumber on my ballot at #24. I love how dumb these guys are and yet they don't have a clue about how the world sees them...instead they are wildly positive about themselves especially Lloyd (Jim Carrey's character).

Lloyd: Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean not good, like one out of 100?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance!

Ha!

Dumb and Dumber: Apparently selling a parakeet with its head taped on to a blind boy, Jeff Daniels getting explosive diarrhea and a bad Jim Carey haircut is enough to make this list. Or at least it was enough for me. It snuck onto mine, as an honor to all the stupid, terrible comedies that make me laugh that have no right to. It was between this and Step Brothers for that honor. This won.

Borat: I probably could have included this. It's certainly deserving. Cohen might be as close to a genius comedic performer as we've had in years. But I think the sequel, operating on the same outmoded reflexes, and trying to incorporate some kind of sympathy for the Borat character, was such a huge misstep that it soured me on my memories. Totally unfair, as the original still undoubtedly holds up, and is probably an immensely important cultural artifact. But oh well, I've never claimed to be fair.

I have both Borat and Dumb and Dumber on dvd, although neither made my ballot. Both are entertaining, fun comedies, but not personal favourites of mine.

What are two movies that I have seen at some point in my lifetime, Alex.

I'm not surprised either of these made the list (though I would have guessed Dumb & Dumber to be around where Austin Powers is, and it never crossed my mind that Austin Powers was a movie that might make the list, so what do I know).

I double-checked, Ace Ventura came out my freshmen year of high school, so unshockingly, his cartoonish and sophomoric comedies appealed to me then. That was a long time ago. Of the big Farrelly brothers movies from the 90s Holden listed, I think Dumb & Dumber has the least appeal to me as it exists in my memory, and Kingpin actually still evokes a weird sense of nostalgia (probably because it felt like the small one that didn't get as much of a following). None were in any vicinity of my ballot, and I'm guessing There's Something About Mary will make an appearance.

I just never got on board the Borat train.

Reply to Topic