John Cusack, John Malkovich, Cameron Diaz, Catherine Keener

I did not like Being John Malkovich.

131 points, 8 lists
Clue
Director

Jonathan Lynn, 1985

Starring

Tim Curry, Eileen Brennan, Madeline Kahn, Christopher Lloyd

Being John Malkovich was #26 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1990s as well as #97 on the original MoFo Top 100. This is the first time Clue has appeared on a MoFo list. Adding up its score it was one plus two plus ONE plus one to equal one hundred and thirty-one.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Now I'm starting to lose my marbles

I find Being John Malkovich to be more amusing than funny, but it's cool, I like it.

Seen Clue a long time ago and didn't like it.

rauldc14
Thank God we didn't do a top 50. This would not have looked well. Plenty of good 51-100. But from 50 on quite disappointing outside of 2 of them.

I didn’t consider and Kaufman penned movies for my list. I do find him funny though, just wasn’t the broad stuff I was trying to go for.

Yet to see Clue. I will try and remedy that this week.

'Being J Malkovich' is pretty great but I forgot all about it so didn't vote for it.

Never heard of 'Clue' before.

mattiasflgrtll6
The truth is in here
Now I'm starting to lose my marbles
Geez, which comedies do you like?

rauldc14
Geez, which comedies do you like?
The 8 I voted for that have showed, but 17 others are my favorites.

PHOENIX74
I forgot the opening line.
Well, Being John Malkovich is yet another film I wasn't expecting to show up here, and it's probably been too long since I last saw it. As far as Charlie Kaufman-penned eccentric oddities are concerned my oft-viewed go-to is Adaptation, but all the same I'm a fan and I've seen Malkovich many times. The whole plot is completely insane, with a certain physical space granting people a certain amount of time taking over the consciousness of the famous actor. It's a fantasy and a drama as well, because lord knows we really wanted to mix it up a bit here (I'm still confident the all-out comedies are just around the corner.)

Now, Clue I'm 100% certain I've seen - but this is the first case of having seen something so long ago that basically the entire film has slowly filtered out of my accessible memory and it's become "unseen" again. I'm glad when I see other people just as pedantic and not including a film as seen if they've since lost it from their brain. I look forward to seeing it again, and making it seen once more.

Seen : 43/58 - I'm surprised daily. It's been a while since I've seen and entry and thought "Yeah - I was expecting to see that on this countdown."

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Trivia: Being John Malkovich. John Malkovich was approached about this film several times and loved the script, but he and his production crew felt another actor would fit the role better. Malkovich offered to to help produce the film, and aid Spike Jonze in any way, but refused to star in it. Eventually Jonze and others wore Malkovich down and he starred in it.

The first time I saw Being John Malkovich I didn't really care for it. I ended up buying the Criterion blu ray on sale and rewatching it. I enjoyed it quite a bit more the second time around, although I didn't vote for it. Clue is mildly amusing, but not a favourite. I'm not surprised that these two films made the list and I have no objection to them being on the list.

Seen : 58/58

Being John Malkovich was #10 on my ballot. Kaufman is great and this is probably my favorite of what I've seen from him so far. It starts off with a humorous premise of a man working on the 7 1/2 floor of an office building where the ceiling is so low he has to crouch at all times and manages to get crazier and crazier from there on out by offering a ton of surprises, even after the inciting incident is introduced. The film contains some of the most fun I've ever had in a film and the various reveals are well-done. It also has some great character depth and a memorable ending.

I watched Clue a couple weeks ago. I enjoyed it more than I expected, but it's not one of my favorites and it wouldn't have made my ballot.

4. To Be or Not To Be (#86)
6. Harold and Maude (#45)
10. Being John Malkovich (#44)
12.Sherlock, Jr. (#56)
25. The Great Dictator (#50)

Never seen Being John Malkovitch, can't say its ever really appealed that much to me. Have seen Clue but not for at least a couple of decades so no idea whether or not it might have had a chance at making my ballot?

Seen: 30/58

Reply to Topic