Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

So, people go on and on about how misogynistic this is. I find Elvie an absolute miserable bitch. Impossible to look at, even though I love Michelle.

My actual first time watching it (that I know of). It is… not good, but it does make me lament as ever that all teen/YA fiction somehow takes a perfectly serviceable concept and ****s it up. Battle Royale rocks, though.

Tonight's movie, a classic, The Monolith Monsters (1954). The monster for this one is rocks that grow. A small dusty western town, the kind that show up in a lot of these movies, has something strange. Apparently a meteor landed and whatever it's made out of is growing. Fragments of the rock are growing into huge crystals, which fall over, smashing buildings, creating havoc. The town's citizens, exposed to the rock, turn to something like rock themselves. How do you stop this?

For a movie of this sort, it's actually pretty good. Actors play it straight and the animation that makes the monsters is pretty good. Like any such movie, there's a magic cure, but I'm not saying what it is.

As these sort of movies go, it's really pretty good. No-name actors do their roles well, the FX of the "monsters" as well as town scenery are also nice. The tense, somewhat morbid music enhances the drama. Not bad for this era.

My actual first time watching it (that I know of). It is… not good, but it does make me lament as ever that all teen/YA fiction somehow takes a perfectly serviceable concept and ****s it up. Battle Royale rocks, though.
I loved The Hunger Games. Scarface too.

I loved The Hunger Games. Scarface too.
I did love Scarface, it’s a classic. The Hunger Games I think has a very good concept, and I’m a fan of Jennifer, but it just felt a bit flat/simplistic. The “bad guys” gang cast was exquisite, though.

And then again, I don’t really dig even the best of dystopias except for Brazil & 12 Monkeys etc. They just never quite engross me. I think it takes much more skill and imagination to craft a compelling story, especially of the speculative kind, in as “real world”/normal context as possible.

TROG I will be revisiting my contribution to the Hall of Infamy. I am ticked off that I have to pay $2.99 to rewatch this turkey.