117 points, 7 lists
Singin' in the Rain
Director

Gene Kelly, 1952

Starring

Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds, Jean Hagen

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Great Dictator is pretty good. Chaplin overall is an enjoyable dude and it looks like he will conquer this countdown.

Singin in the Rain I find to be overrated to be honest, but what do I know.

A pair of bonafide classics, Chaplin's The Great Dictator was #11 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1940s while Singin' in the Rain was #10 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1950s as well as #52 on the original MoFo Top 100 and #64 on the recent reboot of that list.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Trivia: Singin in the Rain: For the "Make em Laugh" number, Gene Kelly asked Donald O'cpnnor to revive a trick he had done as a young dancer: running up a wall and completng a somersault. The number was so physically taxing that O'conner who smoked four packs of cigarettes a day at the time, ended up in a hospital bed for a week after its completion. He suffered from exhaustion and painful carpet burns. Unfortunately, an accident ruined all the film initial footage, so after a brief rest O'connor agreed to do the difficult number again.

Two worthy additions. Singing' in the Rain was #3 on my ballot and a fantastic masterpiece. The Great Dictator is excellent, but didn't quite make my ballot.

I didn't wind up with any Chaplin on my ballot, but The Great Dictator was the one I cut, literally one of the last dozen while trimming down to twenty-five. Expected it wouldn't need my help to make the list, and I am glad to see it squeak in to the Top 50. This swipe at Hitler was made in 1940, folks.

Singin' in the Rain is the greatest Musical that MGM and Hollywood produced at the height of that artform. It is also one of the funniest damn movies ever made. I had it at sixth on my ballot. If for some reason you have been avoiding this classic because you "don't like Musicals" or whatever your rationalization, you are depriving yourself of an incredibly funny entertainment. There are some humorous numbers, such as the wordplay of "Moses Supposes", the evolution of "Fit as a Fiddle", and of course the full-on athletic perfection of Donald O'Connor's "Make 'em Laugh". But most of the laughs come from the characters and the tone of this fable of the crisis the industry went through in changing from Silent movies to Sound. It had to be high on my list and I'm glad I wasn't the only one. "What am I, dumb or somethin'?"

That makes three of my choices.

Holden’s Ballot
6. Singin’ in the Rain (#49)
7. Rushmore (#53)
15. One Two Three (#85)

I could have included The Great Dictator on my list, but while I didn't set a limit on repeating directors, I still thought three by the same guy would be too much. I like Singin' in the Rain, and have even seen it in the theater, but there was no room.

Didn't Hitler secretly love The Great Dictator despite banning it or something? It was something like #10 on my list.

Two classics that I thought would be alot higher.

The Great Dictator had its moments but overall it’s not my thing and was never in consideration for my ballot. I have thus far avoided watching Singin’ in the Rain and I aim to keep it that way.

Saw The Great Dictator, but well below many other movies on this list in the comedy department.

Despite generally being very fond of Chaplin, to the best of my knowledge I've never actually seen The Great Dictator - after a quick convo with herself that ought to be remedied this evening though. I like Singin' In The Rain enough to rate it a
but somewhat contra to popular opinion I'm not a huge fan of the comedy in it.

Seen: 27/52

PHOENIX74
I forgot the opening line.
The Great Dictator is one I'm meaning to get to eventually, and it's appearance here will hurry it up, but I've still got The Gold Rush to go, which I thought might end up higher than The Great Dictator. I wonder if we'll see Limelight? - this 100 years of cinema sure keeps me busy. Where are film fans 200 years from now going to find the time?

Singing in the Rain surprises me because I first think musical, even if it's a musical comedy - and there are parts of it I like and parts I dislike, but even though the whole title song routine gets overexposed, it's still great, and enjoyable to watch no matter how many times I see it. The 'Good Morning' song and 'Make 'em Laugh' are pretty good numbers that I enjoy, and the whole intro awards ceremony gets the movie off to a roaring start - very funny, and well put together. This ranks as one of the most popular 20th Century films of all time, and while I don't go ga ga (gaga?) over it, it's pleasurable enough to enjoy watching any time. Never even considered it for my comedy list.

Seen 40/52 - I just know we're getting close to films from my list dropping one after the other

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Another 0 for 2 today:

Haven't seen The Great Dictator although I do have it in one of my VCR cassettes. Will probably watch it when I find it.

Singin' in the Rain is a film I can admire more than I love. The physicality of the dancing, the go for brokeness of the leads, the variety of the routines. But the biggest misstep is the choice of villains.

WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
Why settle for a second rate Judy Holliday when you could have cast the real thing? I know she just won an Oscar and everything, but I do think she would have made time for it anyway if she really wanted to. And I do think the film suffered because Hagen's character is so easily thwarted.

The Great Dictator is both very funny and bone chilling sad.

I wrote this review:

The Great Dictator (1940)

Director/Writer: Charles Chaplin

I knew that Charlie Chaplin often took on social issues in the films he wrote, directed and starred in. But I had no idea that this film was so potent....all while being so funny.

The opening act set in WWI was fun in a comical way. At that point I thought the movie would be just fun prat falls but then the film takes a serious turn after Hynkel rises to power as dictator of Tomania.

Chaplin the writer/director puts the viewer at ease with the simple WW1 scene. Then when we are off guard and expecting a fun little movie Chaplin throws the seriousness of Nazism squarely in our faces. And that is something that was needed in America in 1939 as it was all too common to turn a blind eye to what Hitler was doing in Europe.

Hollywood itself at the time refused to make films that took a stand against the rising threat of fascism. In the years before WWII Louis B. Mayer head of MGM studios actually conferred with the Nazi Consulate, showing them films and agreeing to remove scenes that the Nazi's found objectionable....all so MGM could sell the movie rights to Germany. I mention that to show what kind of personal courage Charlie Chaplin had to make The Great Dictator, a film he paid himself to have made as no studio would finance him.

Amid the antics of Chaplin we see the fate of the German Jews who are being targeted by the Storm Troopers. Even more ominous than the action scenes are the 'quieter' speeches, that speak volumes of the real horrors to come:

I was chilled to the bone when Henry Daniell as Garbitsch (based on Joseph Goebbels) tells the Dictator...."We've just discovered
the most wonderful poison gas. It will kill everybody..."

Talk about a prophetic script. The movie pulls no punches, it clearly lays out Hynkel/Hitlers evil plans:

We'll invade Osterlich(Austria) first.
After that we can bluff.
The nations will capitulate.
The world will be under your thumb

Chaplin tried to warn the world of the threat at hand, but America was complacent until after Pearl Harbor. Chaplin's effort alone makes this the most important movie I've seen.

What touched me most was the speech at the end of the film given by the Jewish Barber, who's been mistaken for Hynkel the Dictator. As I looked at Chaplin's face and listened to the words he had wrote, I realized I wasn't watching a character in the movie anymore...I was hearing Charles Chaplin's own plead to the world to stop the madness and embrace humanity and kindness.

The Great Dictator is both very funny and bone chilling sad.

I wrote this review:

The Great Dictator (1940)

Director/Writer: Charles Chaplin

I knew that Charlie Chaplin often took on social issues in the films he wrote, directed and starred in. But I had no idea that this film was so potent....all while being so funny.

The opening act, set in WWI was fun in a comical way. At that point I thought the movie would be just, fun prat falls, but then the film takes a serious turn after Hynkel rises to power as dictator of Tomania.

Chaplin the writer/director puts the viewer at ease with the simple WW1 scene. Then when we are off guard and expecting a fun little movie, Chaplin throws the seriousness of Nazism squarely in our faces. And that is something that was needed in America in 1939, as it was all too common to turn a blind eye to what Hitler was doing in Europe at the time.

Hollywood itself at the time refused to make films that took a stand against the rising threat of fascism. In the years before WWII Louis B. Mayer head of MGM studios actually conferred with the Nazi Consulate, showing them films and agreeing to remove scenes that the Nazi's found objectionable....all so MGM could sell the movie rights to Germany. I mention that to show what kind of personal courage Charlie Chaplin had to make The Great Dictator, a film he paid himself to have made, as no studio would finance him.

I wasn't prepared myself for how serious the film is. Amid the antics of Chaplin, we see the fate of the German Jews who are being targeted by the Storm Troopers. Even more ominous than the action scenes are the 'quieter' speeches, that speak volumes of the real horrors to come:

I was chilled to the bone when Henry Daniell as Garbitsch (based on Joseph Goebbels) tells the Dictator...."We've just discovered
the most wonderful poison gas. It will kill everybody..."

I mean wow, talk about a prophetic script. The movie pulls no punches, it clearly lays out Hynkel/Hitlers evil plans:

We'll invade Osterlich(Austria) first.
After that we can bluff.
The nations will capitulate.
The world will be under your thumb

Chaplin tried to warn the world of the threat at hand, but America was complacent until after Pearl Harbor. Chaplin's effort alone makes this the most important movie in this Hof and one, if not the most important movie I've seen.

What touched me most was the speech at the end of the film given by the Jewish Barber, who's been mistaken for Hynkel the Dictator. As I looked at Chaplin's face and listened to the words he had wrote, I realized I wasn't watching a character in the movie anymore...I was hearing Charles Chaplin's own plead to the world to stop the madness and embrace humanity and kindness.

Tremendous words CR.

The Great Dictator was #7 on my list. It's my favourite of Chaplin's films, and it blends satire with slapstick comedy remarkably well. That final speech is quite powerful, and depressingly still applicable to modern audiences.

I don't really like musicals, and Singin' in the Rain is one I particularly despise. I had seen part of it when I was younger and just turned it off, but I was forced to watch it as part of a class in university. After hearing a lot of (in my opinion unwarranted) praise about it from the professor and other students, I came to deeply resent the film.

As for the previous reveals, I haven't seen either My Cousin Vinny or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Seen: 32/52

My List: 4
04. Evil Dead II (1987) - #93
07. The Great Dictator (1940) - #50
14. Clerks (1994) - #64
21. Tropic Thunder (2008) - #58

This image is from one of the greatest sequences ever put to film in my opinion. The end speech is astounding as well. Like Holden said, this being done in 1940 is quit impressive. Probably wouldn’t slap the same for me if it had been a couple of decades later. But there it is. Great Dictator was my #16.

Singing In The Rain also has one of cinemas great sequences. Unfortunately I think there was only one other number I really enjoyed and the story did nothing for me, certainly wasn’t funny. No vote from me but I’m Im happy to watch Gene Kelly tap through the puddles anywhere and anytime.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	15C1200A-F905-4571-8512-F3A841A425E0.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	87971  

The Great Dictator just made my list at #25. It's a brilliant blend of slapstick and satire with a handful of great scenes like the one seanc posted upthread. Chaplin was clearly trying to warn the world of the horrors to come, and even though Chaplin later said he would've never made the film had he been aware of what went on at the concentration camps, that he managed to criticize Hitler back in 1940 was really something and makes the film more than necessary. Also, while fair criticisms can be made that the final speech, though it works fine in concept, should be trimmed up a bit. I think the importance of the message outweighs how well it works dramatically.

I remember enjoying Singin' in the Rain, but it's been years since I've seen it.

Seen both. Love both. Voted for none. I had both at some point in my list, but since I was sticking more to what I've called "pure comedies", I left both out. Singin' in the Rain would certainly make my Musical Top 10, though.

Seen: 37/52

My ballot:  

Reply to Topic