The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Two from my list, I think.

The first Vacation is the only one which fully commits to Clark Griswold's sociopathy, and is therefore the only one worth considering. This film is about the madness that accompanies what the American Dreamer imagines for his American Family. And Chevy Chase is perfect casting for the darkness lurking inside this very particularly loathsome kind of father figure. He embraces both the ugliness of the character, but somehow makes him relatable as he suffers through the family he himself is making suffer. One of the rare films that makes me consistently laugh throughout.

Rushmore: Anderson has never been better and will never be better. As he has become a master of whatever it is he does, he might have a lot more impressive films when it comes to honing his specific cinematic voice, but this is the one that gives just enough of a glimpse of his style, and then leaves enough room for characters like Max Fischer and Herman Blume to fully inhabit. As a result, he's never made a more human film, filled with his characters doubt and folly and jealousy and obsession and love. And by letting Fischer and Blume live inside of a world which at least somewhat resembles a real place, the humor of their situation has more gravity. It doesn't all just float away on Wes Anderson brand whimsy (which, don't get me wrong, is a beautiful thing, but I sometimes wish he hadn't gotten so good at what he does....would let a little more natural light from the actors he hires to shine through)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
While going through my DVDs a few days ago, I found the DVD of National Lampoon’s Vacation, so I watched it after the Christmas Vacation movie showed up on this list, but I didn't like it. I just don't find that type of humor funny.

Rushmore was okay, but I thought it was more of a quirky movie than a funny movie. I think I would have liked it more if it was more of a drama because the humor and quirkiness didn't really work for me.

Another Oh for Six for My List:

Tropic Thunder was one of those films that had some funny moments (the cameo, the skewering of Hollywood), but also some dull spots particularly in the second half as it tries to take the material more seriously as the action ramps up. I liked it well enough, but didn't make the list.

Spaceballs may be the last good Mel Brooks film, a funny spoof of the Star Wars universe. Wasn't quite enough to make the list, but I think it was because it's been years since I've seen it.

Sherlock Jr. has some nice sequences involving a movie projector fantasizing about saving the day. I suspect this won't be Buster Keaton's last film on the list.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off also has some good laughs as it is able to blend the hilarity with heart. Good scenes include Ferris's attempts to bluff his way past a snooty waiter, Jeannie's reaction to some kids raising funds for Ferris for him being sick, and the scene at the Cubs game. It just missed out on an honorable mention.

Vacation (the 80s one) does have some hilarious sequences as Clark is determined to have the greatest family road trip vacation EVER. It is a bit more mean-spirited than subsequent entries so you have to decide whether it doesn't bother you or it takes away from the hilarity. I think it's the best of the series, followed closely by Christmas Vacation.

Rushmore, much like Napoleon Dynamite, loves its quirks. Luckily, it does find some funny moments in a determined game of one-upmanship between a businessman and an overly busy, academically decent teen as they compete for the hand of a teacher. Thankfully, it avoids what could have been a cringey film in lesser hands is turned into a thoughtful one with a nice soundtrack by Wes Anderson (who hopefully has more entries on this list).

A system of cells interlinked
Rushmore is one I really wanted to get to again before submitting my ballot, but my free time these days is quite scarce. I chose Christmas Vacation for my list, even if I enjoy the OG quite a bit. I wasn't about to put multiple Vacation films on my ballot.

109 points, 8 lists
My Cousin Vinny
Director

Jonathan Lynn, 1992

Starring

Joe Pesci, Ralph Macchio, Marisa Tomei, Mitchell Whitfield

109 points, 8 lists
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Director

Frank Oz, 1988

Starring

Steve Martin, Michael Caine, Glenne Headly, Anton Rodgers

These are the MoFo List debuts for both My Cousin Vinny and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Two I haven’t seen in a very long time and never considered faves. I prefer Scoundrels, being a big Martin fan.

Watched In-Laws and What’s Up Doc in the last few days. Neither would have made my list but I enjoyed my watches. Falk is amazing as usual. I like the rapport in both movies quite a bit. O’Neal being a standout in a comedic role surprised me quite a bit.

Have seen so far: 27 - My Cousin Vinny - This movie was alright, seen this movie a long time ago so I don't remember much about what happens.

Have not seen so far: 23

Have not seen Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Trivia Dirty Rotten Scoundrels: According to the DVD commentary, when Freddy is in jail, trying to remember Lawrence's name , the entire scene was improvised by Steve Martin. Director, Frank Oz was crouched out of camera range and tapped Anton Rogers on the foot to interrupt Martin when Oz felt that he had gone as far as he could with the improv.

PHOENIX74
I forgot the opening line.
My Cousin Vinny I first saw a couple of years ago, having meant to for over a decade. Marisa Tomei's Oscar was a big part of it - and it had nothing at all to do with Rudi Guliani. It's one of those comedies that has a large drama component, and plays it semi-straight as a thriller/mystery with the underdog lawyer with clients who have all the facts stacked against them, not to mention the judge, jury and God himself it seems. But this Pesci-played lawyer won't rest until...yeah, it's pretty hackneyed, but the humour is not too bad and it got a pass mark from me. Not one I'd watch over again, but I didn't hate it. Ironically, I can't remember much about Tomei's performance - and I feel awful about that.

I literally can't believe I didn't vote for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - that movie is hilarious, and I have very fond memories of seeing it for the first time at the movies. I must have overlooked it. Anyway, it's hard to move out any of my current selections, but I looked very hard for it - feeling convinced it's a title I would have voted for. Steve Martin still really had it, and Michael Caine proved the perfect straight foil. I never knew there was an original till many years later. I think that actors really brought this baby to perfect fruition, but it has a snazzy score, and cracks along to a modern beat at a fast pace. Did I mention how good Steve Martin is in this? I did? He's great! He's really one of the all time greats. Should have been my #something, but I'll have to make do with praising it here.

Seen 39/50 - Half time, with many voting selections to yet reveal

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Pretty sure I've never seen My Cousin Vinny, no idea why not really. I have at least seen Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and I think it was ok but so many brain cells have since withered and died I'd have needed to revisit it to see if it was going to be in contention for a place on my ballot.

Seen: 26/50

Iroquois
Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I just watched My Cousin Vinny for the first time earlier this year and found it adequately amusing. I've seen Dirty Rotten Scoundrels a few times over the years and also like it, but wouldn't have considered it for my list.

I love this pair of films! Marisa Tomei deserved her Oscar. Joe Pesci is great. I'm kinda feeling like watching My Cousin Vinny right now. Steve Martin and Michael Caine = Excellent. Great movie.

4. Sherlock, Jr. (1924)
10. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
13. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999)
15. Dazed and Confused (1993)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I watched Dirty Rotten Scoundrels a lot as a kid (we had it on VHS), but am genuinely surprised to see it appear on this list. Not a movie I thought had much of a following.

My Cousin Vinny was on my list. Just one of my favorite movies. “I shot the clerk?”

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is lots of fun. The more I rewatch it the less I like it though.

I completely forgot My Cousin Vinny existed. However, I've seen Dirty Rotten Scoundrels as a teen too many times to keep track. The charisma between Martin and Caine drew me in like a fish, and I really have to thank my dad for showing me that movie. 8.5/10.

Seen 31/50.

ynwtf
That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Neither My Cousin Vinny nor Dirty Rotten Scoundrels made my list. Neither came close, actually. I will revisit My Cousin Vinny every so often as it holds up rather well. Casting was great, in my opinion, and there were a lot of well-paced cultural bits throughout. "The, uh... wut?" "The yutes." "did you say ....the 'Yewts?'" "Yeah?! The Yutes..." or the court cross examination over the cooking physics of a grit. It's all just well grounded silliness than never pushes the boundaries too far. It's entertaining, for sure, but not one I would consider a top shelf contender.

As to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, I remember not liking this much when I first watched as a yute. I think that might have been due in part to my dislike for Glenne Headly. Looking back, I imagine my reaction to her casting as a third-level alternative assuming they couldn't get Goldie Hawn or even Mary Steenburgen. I just couldn't connect with her acting or character. Her voice and timing, when sharing the screen with Martin and Caine, felt more appropriate for a Police Academy love interest. At least for what I got out of Scoundrels. Too, there are several other Steve Martin movies that I'd consider well before this. Still, "I need to go to the bathroom .....aaaah" with a sold cork fork stab to eye will always crack me up.

Heh, I found this lovely gem googling how to spell Headly's name:

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

My Cousin Vinny (1992) was #24 on my ballot.

Reply to Topic