The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

[quote=Raven73;2316064]
Count me as a big fan of Ferris Buellers Day Off. Great cast, great script, very funny and very humanistic. I love the breaking of the third wall by Ferris and the advice he gives us.

Fourth wall. Everything else I agree with.
4th wall of course, thanks

A system of cells interlinked
Way behind, but see I only two of my films have shown up so far...

Big Trouble in Little China

Why is this film on my list, and for that matter all the way up at number 12? Easily one of Carpenter's most entertaining films, it's equal parts hilarious, silly, and bad ass. It features Russell at his comedic best, a fantastic cast of goofy and fun characters, Kung Fu, the three storms, Lo Pan, and let's not forget Victor Wong's Egg Shen! I never tire of watching this flick, and when I first got ahold of the VHS tape way back when it was first released, I damn near wore that thing out.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Not much to say here that hasn't already been covered... My family watches this every Christmas, we still laugh at all the jokes, and we quote this thing all the time. great stuff. I had this at number 15.

Sedai’s post reminded me of something I wanted to bring up about Big Trouble In Little China. The character in his gif had to be the inspiration for Raden from Mortal Kombat, correct?

Sedai’s post reminded me of something I wanted to bring up about Big Trouble In Little China. The character in his gif had to be the inspiration for [Raiden] from Mortal Kombat, correct?
How Mortal Kombat's Raiden was Inspired by Big Trouble In Little China
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Sedai’s post reminded me of something I wanted to bring up about Big Trouble In Little China. The character in his gif had to be the inspiration for Raden from Mortal Kombat, correct?
I miss the old Mortal Combat arcade days

Sherlock, Jr. is a great silent comedy. Keaton is my favorite silent film comic, and he put his comedic genius and imagination in full throttle here with some unique and innovative sight gags which puzzled the film community for years about how he did them.

This picture didn't make my top 25, although another Keaton film from a couple of years later did...

As a teen growing up in Chicago I liked Ferris Bueller when it came out. When I last watched it a few years ago I realized that I should have stuck with my memory of it.

Seen Sherlock a couple of times, good stuff.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
And now, the Rectification List welcomes its first, and pretty f@ckin funny, entry:

Mean Girls (2004)
+++ (and easily a 4 with any future viewings.)

Student: Nice wig, Janis. What's it made of?
Janis: Your mom's chest hair!

When this came out, I had lost hope of finding any comedy coming outta Hollywood that didn't aggravate me that I pretty much made a face, stating, "f@ck that," at the option of this one, which caused me to miss out.

Tina Fey screenplays Rosalind Wiseman's book "Queen Bees and Wannabes" and Mark Waters' direction sets up a pretty rock-solid comedy using premise, location, and some pretty d@mn good comediennes fully - to my utter surprise.
At the top of the list and winning point for seeing this, along with the regard given by several folks, I have respect for (mostly) is Rachel McAdams as the Queen Plastic, Regina. And I do believe my first time viewing Lohan perform, she pulled off the lead rather well.

I had planned a Double Feature with Clueless. Ten minutes in, I got the basis and no real laughter, so I switched over, and by the same mark, seeing Lohan's Home Schooling in Africa Narration, I was laughing, kicked back, happy to see more. F@CKIN YAY

Now, would it have made my list? It definitely would have made it to one of the final cuts and DEFINITELY belongs in this Countdown.

And now, back to local programming,

Tropic Thunder (2008) Was one of those "See, f@ck this, f@ck no" confirmations for me. Starting with the "mutated child of talented people" Stiller. THANK YOU Peter Griffin for that quote. So I was fully immersed and overjoyed about it with the trove of animations that is 1/5 of my list.

Spaceballs (1987)

[Lord Helmet is playing with his dolls in his quarters when Col Sandurz bursts in]
Colonel Sandurz: Lord Helmet!
Dark Helmet: WHAT?
[Helmet gathers up his dolls in the blink of an eye]
Colonel Sandurz: You're needed on the bridge sir!
Dark Helmet: Knock on my door! Knock next time!
Colonel Sandurz: Yes, sir!
Dark Helmet: Did you see anything?
Colonel Sandurz: No, sir! I didn't see you playing with your dolls again.
Dark Helmet: GOOD!
[Sandurz slams the door]

I can easily just sit and watch every scene with Rick Moranis in this. This is high praise since I always felt he was on the lesser end of the SCTV gang. Because he pretty much owned it in this building decline of Mel Brooks films. Cool that it's here.

Sherlock Jr. (1924)

I had only recently delved into Buster Keaton films and this was my first one. The man is a daredevil comedian and an excellent addition.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

Grace: Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.

With the quotable repetitive, monotoned Attendance query "Beuller? Beuller? "Beuller?" Matthew Broderick's Professional Expert Slacker, Mentor and overflowing Dispenser of Wisdom, Ferris Beuller sets the bar for Skipping School hijinks in one of John Hughes's upper echelon films.

Watched: 36 out of 46 (78.26%)
1. Kung Fu Hustle (2004) #66
7. What's Up, Doc? (1972) #59
25. Megamind (2010) One Pointer

One Pointers: 18 out of 42 (40.47%)

Rectification List
1. Mean Girls (2004) #67

I need to see more Buster Keaton. He's the silent comedian whose comedy clicks with me. So far, I've only seen a handful of shorts (accompanied by live, anachronistic blues-grass, which actually worked pretty well), The General (which was a bit of a let down after seeing those shorts), Sherlock Jr (was in consideration for my ballot) earlier this year, and then very recently, Our Hospitality. His deadpan style seems to be of a piece of some other comedies I've put on my ballot.

Buster hasn't had a chance for any of his feature length movies to percolate in my mind, building up a sense of long term joy. That said, I knew I wanted a Keaton on my ballot, and seriously considering Sherlock Jr, but ultimately went with the short that stood out in my mind from that initial night. Unfortunately it's not the first short that comes to people's minds when they think Buster Keaton, all but dooming it to being a wasted ballot entry, to which, I will regret not adding my support for Sherlock Jr. when the next revealed movie turns out to be something like Shrek.

So I'm happy to see any Keaton show up.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - A staple of my childhood (or teen years?), I can't remember. Early high school. As the rubric goes, kids like watching movies/tv where the kinds in the movie are just a few years older than them. I really can't say what my opinion of it is now. It did give us the common culture that is the Ben Stein scene, so there is that. But iconic scenes don't necessarily mean the movie as a whole is great, so IDK. I think I usually find myself hating most of the leads in teen comedies from my youth when I re-watch them (admittedly, that is a rare occurrence these days).

Wadda we got here today?

Sherlock Jr.--I haven't seen it. I obviously have been missing out and need to start getting some Buster Keaton into my life.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off-- I have seen it several times. It's very funny but not on my list. I don't think a lot of my stuff is going to be onthe list. I have a lot of stuff from the forties. That is the stuff I return to over and over again.

Updated stats (revealed ballot and unseen count)

1. It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012) (#61)
4. House (1977) (#89)
12. Fargo (1996) (#97?)
21. Evil Dead II (1987) (#93)
23. Best in Show (2000) (#74)
25. The Phantom of Liberty (1974) (1 pointer)

Seen: 31/46

Ferris Beuller's Day Off is the ultimate ode to the spirit of escapism and the wildest dreams of teenage freedom. Part of what makes the humor work so well is everyone's reactions to Beuller's antics, especially the principal. The one problem I have with the movie is that Sloane has nothing new to add to the "girlfriend of the hero" character, so she falls flat, even though she's one of many characters.

Seen 29/46

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Sherlock, Jr. a while back when it was nominated in a HoF. It's a fun movie that I enjoyed watching, but it didn't make my list.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is one of those movies that I liked the first few times that I saw it, but I seem to like it a little bit less each time I rewatch it. I still enjoy watching it, just not as much as I used to.

I absolutely love Sherlock, Jr. but didn't put it on my list. Of the Keaton films I've seen so far, this is at the top of the list. So glad to see it got voted in.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is definitely my favorite John Hughes film. It's still hilarious to me. Bueller was tailor-made for Matthew Broderick and I can't imagine anyone else playing the part. Love it dearly but didn't list it.
"After all, he was the Walrus. I could be the Walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

@edarsenal It looks like your favorite Mean Girls quote is the same as mine. Couldn't get enough of Lizzy Caplan in that movie.

My list:
#4.The In-Laws
#8.Stripes

A system of cells interlinked
Whoops! Looks like I missed one of my films when I compared my ballot to the countdown so far...

Tropic Thunder was my #25. I know many dislike this film for various reasons, but I still find it to be a fun watch, warts and all...

107 points, 7 lists
National Lampoon's Vacation
Director

Harold Ramis, 1983

Starring

Chevy Chase, Beverly D'Angelo, Imogene Coca, Randy Quaid

107 points, 8 lists
Rushmore
Director

Wes Anderson, 1998

Starring

Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, Olivia Williams, Seymour Cassel

The moose out front should have told you this is the first appearance of the initial Griswold family misadventure National Lampoon’s Vacation on any MoFo List. Wes Anderson’s Rushmore was #87 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1990s.

Reply to Topic