The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Haven't seen this set of films either.
I'm almost there too.
Only vaguely remember that I've seen some parts of the movie called Spaceballs and we've have some jokes back then with the parts related to Star Wars.
Never heard the other film.

I think I already mentioned when The Producers came up -
I was about 7 when Spaceballs came out, so naturally it was really big in my childhood. Robin Hood MiT made me cringe (I guess I was already too old by that point). I re-watched Spaceballs ~10+ years ago with friends as part of a questionably constructed Mel Brooks marathon and... it was cringe. I don't think I laughed - at least not at the jokes. I don't know what the breakdown was on, over-familiarity despite not watching it since I was a child, recycling of jokes from earlier movies (this plagued Robin Hood probably the most, but he was already doing it with History of the World), not simply being a child anymore, or there was just simply a massive decline by this film (I still laughed during Young Frankenstein which was the second movie in the line-up, for the data point).

Tropic Thunder - Never seen it. When it came out I just assumed it wasn't going to be my thing. The way people then talked about it over the years, it leaves me with, "maybe there is comedy in there for me. Or maybe my first impression is correct. I really can't tell." The comments in this thread hasn't caused that opinion to shift one way or the other.

Victim of The Night

As I said earlier in this thread, I think Mel Brooks' movie spoofs lost their magical bite starting with Spaceballs and dribbling out through the subsequent Robin Hood: Men in Tights and Dracula: Dead & Loving It because he no longer knew and loved the subjects he was spoofing. Even the zero budget short "Hardware Wars" (1978) at least understood what made the original Star Wars (1977) tick and what pieces were ripe for making fun of. A few of Brooks' gags work here and there, but it just doesn't come together and compared to his earlier triumphs is just hollow. Compared to a smart Sci-Fi spoof that truly loves and understands its material, like Galaxy Quest, it clearly isn't in the same comic universe. I was seventeen when Spaceballs was released and already way too old for what essentially plays best to nine-year-olds.

Jesus, this just reminded me how bad Spaceballs really is.
Pizza The Hut?! What Siskel sadly lauds as the best gag in the film, is beneath anyone over the age of 10. Truly a sad hour for Brooks and his fans not really because of how poor it is compared with his prior work but as a harbinger of how low he would sink.

I've seen the extended-cut of Tropic Thunder so that's what I go by when I say it's completely hilarious to me. From the movie-within-the-movie being made in the film proper, to the situation that happens to the "actors" being played by real actors, it made me laugh all the way. Need to break it out again and watch it.

Spaceballs is one I saw at the cinema and loved, and still have a strong affection for the movie. Yeah, some of the jokes are obvious but with a parody that's going to happen, and I didn't care if they were a bit dated or not. When Brooks did Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein nobody complained (that I recall) about the subject matter of Westerns and Universal Horror films being parodied. They just laughed at the jokes and that's what I did. That's why I agree with Gene Siskel in the video above. And I usually agreed with Roger Ebert more often, so that's a rarity for me.

I voted for neither but I'm mighty glad to see them land on this list! It's so funny (not hah-hah, but odd) that comedy is the genre that really is proving to be the most divisive.

My list:
#4.The In-Laws
#8.Stripes

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I saw Tropic Thunder years ago because there was a lot of hype about how good it was, but I hated it. I watched it again for this countdown to give it another chance because it has a good cast, but it didn't get any better. It's still not my type of humor.

I love Spaceballs, but it didn't make my list. It has some very funny scenes, but overall, there are too many other movies that are just funnier. I'm glad it made the countdown anyway.

102 points, 7 lists
Sherlock, Jr.
Director

Buster Keaton, 1924

Starring

Buster Keaton, Kathryn McGuire, Joe Keaton, Erwin Connelly

105 points, 10 lists
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Director

John Hughes, 1986

Starring

Matthew Broderick, Alan Ruck, Mia Sara, Jeffrey Jones

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Neither made my list, but definitely two worthy additions for sure. I'm pretty sure I even rated Bueller an 8/10

Trivia: When Buster Keaton is running along the roofs of the moving freight train cars, he comes to the last one and jumps and grabs the tube connected to a water tower. His weight caused the tube to descend and, as it did so, water poured out and washed him on to the track with force, fracturing his neck and nearly breaking it. The footage appears in the released film. Keaton suffered from blinding migraines for years afterwards and was unaware of the reason, until a doctor diagnosed him in the 1930's.

Sherlock Jr. would almost certainly have made my ballot. Not a fan of Ferris Bueller's Day Off but not surprised at all to see it turn up.

Literally just finished watching The Nice Guys, nowhere near as good as Kiss Kiss Bang Bang for me but probably would have been one I at least considered.

Seen: 24/46

I love Sherlock Jr., but it didn't quite make my ballot. Glad it made the list though. Ferris Bueller's Day Off is fine, but not one of my favourite comedies.

Seen: 46/46.

Trivia: When Buster Keaton is running along the roofs of the moving freight train cars, he comes to the last one and jumps and grabs the tube connected to a water tower. His weight caused the tube to descend and, as it did so, water poured out and washed him on to the track with force, fracturing his neck and nearly breaking it. The footage appears in the released film. Keaton suffered from blinding migraines for years afterwards and was unaware of the reason, until a doctor diagnosed him in the 1930's.
Here it is:

Sherlock, Jr. was #8 on the MoFo Top 50 Pre-1930s List while Ferris Bueller's Day Off was #23 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1980s.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is fine no objections but I have two other John Hughes movies on my list.
Can't remember Sherlock Jr. cause I was probably around 8 when I saw it.

Can't remember Sherlock Jr. cause I was probably around 8 when I saw it.
You were eight-years-old in 1924?!?

You were eight-years-old in 1924?!?

Love both of these but voted for neither. Push comes to shove I slightly prefer The General to Sherlock, Jr. (and stop pushing me, Pal!), but they are both masterpieces. We'll see how much higher on the list Keaton's choo-choo picture falls. I saw Ferris Bueller's Day Off at a matinee on the last day of school (which was a half day) of tenth grade with a van load of my friends. To say my buddies and I were the target audience is an understatement. We loved it. I still love it. I didn't put any John Hughes movies on my ballot but Bueller is my second favorite after Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

Iroquois
Welcome to the human race...
No votes. Keaton is probably my favourite of all the silent-era comedians, though I'm not entirely sure which of his films I'd cite as a favourite. In any case, Sherlock Jr. is definitely up there. I was amused enough by Ferris Bueller's Day Off when I was much younger, but I revisited it as recently as two years ago and found it very much wanting (this is starting to become my attitude towards John Hughes' work in general).

PHOENIX74
I forgot the opening line.
Sherlock Jnr I saw for the first time recently, but I voted for a different Buster Keaton film which may in fact not appear - but I still love The Great Stone Face and enjoy many of his short films. I don't know about Sherlock Jnr, I don't think I was in the mood for silent comedy when I watched it, and felt like the action-packed finale dragged on a little too long. I'm pretty sure my opinion will change after seeing it again, in the right frame of mind. Comedy really is a mood thing, and if you're particularly flat it can pick you up, or it can absolutely not work - conversely, when you're up a lot of things will make you laugh, but the stuff that's unfunny never will - I was pretty flat. I still thought the first half was brilliant though.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - a lot of people idolize this film, and I just like it. I find it easily watchable, but I'm not a typical Bueller-lover who swears by it. I've been meaning to give it another whirl with that fancy new idea about the film kids are raving about these days - the theory that Ferris Bueller is actually an imaginary character made up by Cameron Frye (Alan Ruck) - his shy, reserved friend in the film. It's one of those film theories that absolute never occurred to the people making the film (probably) - but all the same makes it all the more interesting. I was never a big Matthew Broderick fan, and there will be a few more comedies that show up with rabid fans and huge support that are only average to okay for me. This missed the top 50 though, very surprisingly, so maybe other people find it just okay as well, or some people just plumb forgot about it.

I watched House tonight (advertised as weird, and certainly that's what it was) - so I get to add 3 to my tally, but none from my list again.

Seen 35/46

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I think Sherlock Jr was my first silent. If not it was close and I brought all kinds of baggage to those first few silent viewings that I had to get rid of. I really need to rewatch at some point but I am certainly team Chaplin after watching a good bit of both. So there’s a good chance I will like it more second watch, but also a good chance it won’t ever be a favorite.

I really wanted to rewatch Ferris Bueller because it had been so long but I didn’t get to it. It’s also one I have seen quite a bit though, and remember most of the beats. Always found it humorous and charming but never funny enough to be a favorite.

Reply to Topic