The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I voted for Fast Times. I did not vote for What's Up, Doc? but am not opposed to seeing it pop up on the list.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Fast Times at Ridgemont High - somehow I know that a movie with this title exists.

What's Up, Doc? - several years ago I've organized a Ryan O'Neal panorama to recall his nice films of the 70's and to find some unknown stuff. I came across this one and had high expectations. Sorry to say, I've never seen so mediocre jokes. It was very hard for us to finish the movie.

Clerks was a serious contender for my list, a massive 90’s cult classic that has aged very well.
Got Me Wrong · Alice In Chains

I've got two Sandler's in my Comedy top 110, Happy Gilmore at #108, and another one at #43.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High would probably make my eighties comedy top 50, but I voted for another 80's coming of age classic that will surely show up later.

Watch-listed The In-Laws, What's Up, Doc? and It's Such a Beautiful Day.

Seen 26/42
Ballot 2/25

Oh yeah! The In-Laws is one of my favorites movies of all-times, much less comedies. I had no hope it was going to make the list at this point but here it is. I actually got to see this one at the cinema and it's been a favorite ever since. I'll repeat what people have been saying in that Peter Falk is utterly hilarious here, with my favorite scene being the dinner scene with his family and Alan Arkin's family getting together for the first time, and Falk goes into this hard-to-believe tale of giant Tsetse Flies carrying off village children to certain doom, with Alan Arkin saying in his deadpan voice, "Tsetse flies with beaks?" But the whole movie is filled with this stuff. Falk and Arkin make one of the best comedy duos ever and play off each other with their different styles so greatly. I refuse to watch the remake because it was totally unnecessary.

Have never even heard of It's Such a Beautiful Day.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High is an entertaining movie and the funny parts are great but like several MoFos here, I think of it as more of a dramatic movie with humor, so I didn't even think of placing it.

What's Up Doc? is such a lauded movie, and what with all the talent all over this film, I truly expected to be slaughtered with laughs. I did not laugh even once. I was so disappointed in this film. I thought it to be one of the singularly most unfunny "comedies" I've ever seen. And I'm pretty much open-minded to comedy till I'm not, if that makes sense. Once for this movie was enough for me.

Well, at least I got another one for the list here and a great one at that.

My list:
#4.The In-Laws
#8.Stripes

What's Up Doc?

Eunice: I'm not looking for romance, Howard.
Howard: Oh?
Eunice: No, I'm looking for something more important than that, something stronger. As the years go by, romance fades and something else takes its place. Do you know what that is?
Howard: Senility?
Eunice: Trust!
Howard: That's what I meant.

And with the Bookends FIRMLY in place, I have another from my list at #7. YAY.
This is, from its depth to its farthest borders, fun and funny movie. A tip of the hat to old Hollywood screwball comedies and quick/clever retorts. Co-written by Buck Henry who, for some of us, is known for being the co-creator of the spy spoofing TV comedy show "Get Smart", this movie has two premises. The first, 4 exactly identical traveling bags with very important items therein and their inevitable mix-up. Secondly, Barbara Streisand pursues and causes all kinds of trouble for Ryan O'Neil.

As already stated in previous discussions, there are some very funny, and incredibly talented folks in here. At the top of that list, in her first movie, is Madeline Kahn simply nailing the role of the frantic fiance to O'Neil; Eunice Burns. Followed quickly by Kenneth Mars whose list of outrageous characters and their mannerisms are a must-see.

I first saw this in second grade, a couple of times, at the movies and have tried to watch it, again and again as the decades passed and it has been and continues to be an utter frickin delight each and every time.
Ed, I think we have somewhat similar tastes. What's Up, Doc? is not only my favorite screwball comedy (even better than Arsenic and Old Lace, Bringing Up Baby, or His Girl Friday), but it's my favorite comedy of all time. So it was my #1.

IMO some of those extended gag scenes could never be done today, e.g. the wonderfully staged plate glass scene. Those of course were done live, being way before CGI.

I've watched it 6-8 times since it came out, and I never fail to have a few howls... It's also a generational thing. 1972 is a bit far back for many.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It's been a long time since I saw Fast Times at Ridgemont High, but I liked it when I was younger, (along with dozens of other teen movies back then). However I only remember a few fun scenes, and I don't remember it being funny enough that I would have even considered it for my list if I had found time to rewatch it.

But Hubby loves it enough that he has the Funko Pops:

What's Up, Doc? is a very funny movie. I considered it for my list, but it just didn't make my final list because there were too many other funnier comedies in the way. I'm glad to see that it made the countdown anyway.

My Amy Heckerling marathon is done.

Clueless - beautifully handled comedy with a perfect cast and even better dialogue. It feels cheesy because it;s almost too Teen Nick to be true, but the handling of the story and characters is effortlessly pulled off. 9/10.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High - A better ode to teen life in a past era than Dazed and Confused was, and I compare the two due to their hyperlink nature. As a result, there's still a level of nostalgia even for people who weren't around in that era. But since the characters aren't as strong, I prefer Clueless. 8.5/10

Seen 27/42

P.S. For those who don't know what hyperlink means (I'm being safe right now because of the slow cinema thread), hyperlink cinema is a tern used for movies centering around many characters and a couple themes. Examples include Pulp Fiction, Crash, Dazed and Confused, Snatch and Nashville.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. Fast Times at Ridgemont High is definitely a solid film, albeit one I don't usually have much cause to revisit even though so much of it is indelible beyond its goofier surface. Haven't seen What's Up, Doc?.

Arsenic & Old Lace and Fletch?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

64. Clerks (1994) - good fun
63. Happy Gilmore (1996) - funny, very quotable but not really a great film.
62. The In-Laws (1979) - never heard of it
61. It’s Such a Beautiful Day - never heard of it
60. Fast Times at Ridgmont High - not seen it
59. Whats Up Doc - Not seen it

Clerks---Kevin Smith films were hit or miss for me. The original one was enough of a hit for me, I suppose, although I wasn't a fan of the sequel (outside of the ABC sequence).

Happy Gilmore---Honorable Mention. IMO, the best Adam Sandler film (other than possibly Punch Drunk Love, no haven't seen it, why do you ask?) It surges ahead of his other comedies for three reasons: 1) Adam plays a likable character, 2) they're able to milk the cameos for all they're worth (Barker, Jaws, Ben Stiller, Lee Trevino), 3) a story that gives room to the comedy without giving way to it leading to a film that moves until the 18th green.

The In-Laws---Haven't seen it.

It's Such a Beautiful Day---Haven't seen it. Although World of Tomorrow was my number one for 2015, I think it's just a matter of availability for me to finally catch it.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High---Some funny scenes (Spicoli having pizza delivered in the middle of class), but I can't help but shake the feeling that the second half wasn't as tight or as good as the first one.

What's Up, Doc?---Haven't seen it.

Update:
List:
X

Honorable Mentions:
Happy Gilmore

Clueless
Mean Girls

99 points, 9 lists
Tropic Thunder
Director

Ben Stiller, 2008