The 29th Hall of Fame

Tools    

It's part of the reason why we don't get many comedies nominated, different senses of humor. It probably would've made my comedy ballot if I didn't lean heavily on nostalgia.

The big thing is people have a very narrow scope of what they're nominating. One of the things I try and bring to these halls is a sense of variety.

15 - Aguirre, The Wrath of God (1972)
16 - Mr. Freedom (1969)
17 - The Innocents (1961)
18 - The Little Stranger (2018)
19 - Gaslight (1944)
20 - Ghostbusters (1984)
21 - Being There(1979)
22 - State of Siege (1972)
23 - Le Samouraļ (1967)
24 - Barry Lyndon (1975)
25 - The Long Goodbye (1973)
26 - And Then There Were None (2015)
27 - My Dog Skip (2000)
28 - My Favorite Year (1982)
29 - Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

The typical nom is either an esoteric film from a foreign country that's hard to find. Or a bug popular legendary film that everyone knows is great. Or some sort of taboo shocking film. Or an early work of a popular director. My picks are never predictable

Any nom that's romantic especially if it's old Hollywood immediately gets hated by 1/3 of the group. Comedies don't fare well and musicals really don't do well.

This is what I've nominated in the General HoFs
29th Das Boot (1981)
28th Miracle Mile (1988)
27th Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
26th Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
25th Bicycle Thieves (1948)
24th La Dolce Vita (1960)
23rd Schindler's List (1993)
22nd Mildred Pierce (1945)
21st The Breakfast Club (1985)
20th The Music Man (1962)
19th Tombstone (1993)
18th Abandon Ship (1957)
17th The Dressmaker (2015)
16th Waterloo Bridge (1931)
15th American Graffiti (1973)
14th Passengers (2016)
13th Nightmare Alley (1947)
12th Never Let Me Go (2010)
11th The Flowers of War (2011)
10th East of Eden (1955)
9th Leave Her to Heaven (1945)
8th Lady Killer (1933)

I forgot the opening line.
I'm guessing my Australian nominations qualify as esoteric films from a foreign country that are hard to find.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Goldfinger (1964)

Raul's the man...this rocked! We don't get many classic noms like Goldfinger in the main HoF these days, not like we use to. This was a blast to watch!

The opening title sequence along with the Goldfinger song has to be the single greatest title art ever put on film. I mean it doesn't get any swanker than that. The film itself is visually so big with so many exotic shooting locations from the high Alps road to the scrap yard where that brand new Lincoln Continual is crushed, ouch! The interiors sets too are fabulous. Loved the Danish Modern look of Goldfinger's Alps hideaway...what a huge room with lots of negative space that made Goldfinger look all the more ominous. Loved that map table that was functionally automated and that laser, damn that was really a nice prop piece especially for 1964.

To me Sean Connery is the quintessential Bond and the only Bond films I care about are the early ones. I liked that this didn't go on and on with action scenes and trick gadgets like later Bond films do. I also liked that Connery's Bond isn't always the sharpest mind in the room and makes mistakes.

Enjoyed this one!

I forgot the opening line.
I liked that this didn't go on and on with action scenes and trick gadgets like later Bond films do.
That's a good point, not only for Bond films but all action films today - the action goes on and on and on, and more definitely doesn't mean better. I actually find myself getting bored during the so-called "action" - there should be more balance. But I absolutely loved Bond's fight with Oddjob in Goldfinger. I loved the fact he was so physically outmatched, and had to use his brains instead.

I haven't been in as many Halls as most of you have, but here are my nominations:

24th: Vampyr
25th: American Movie
26th: The Celebration
27th: Midnight Cowboy
28th: The Travelling Players
29th: A Moment of Innocence

Russian II: The Cranes Are Flying
Twilight Zone: A Stop At Willoughby and The Midnight Sun
Movies About SpelingError: Mall Cop
Infamy: God's Not Dead

This is what I nominated in the General Halls:

25th: Sundays and Cybele
26th: The Wizard of Oz
27th: Safety Last
28th Cuties
29th: Tomboy

I haven't done many, but here goes:

24th: Hard Times
25th: Chimes at Midnight
27th: The Secret of Roan Inish

The Twilight Zone: A Nice Place to Visit and The Monsters are Due on Maple Street
5th Short: Shell All

I may pick a classic in a future Hall of Fame and I'm happy to re-watch the ones that other people choose, but I think it's more fun to choose something the majority haven't seen. It adds more uncertainty and it's always nice to see someone be pleasantly surprised. The exception is the Twilight Zone one since I was pretty unfamiliar with the series going in.

I forget what I've nominated but I've probably been in about 40 total HoFs and I've won one, and that HoF had like 6 people lol.
This is a complete list of all the Main HoFs you've been in.

27th Magical Girl (2014)
25th Les Misérables (Richard Boleslawski 1935)
24th The Secret in Their Eyes (Campanella 2009)
23rd Christiane F. (Uli Edel, 1981)
20th Elmer Gantry (Richard Brooks 1960)
17th Pixote (Hector Babenco 1981)
16th They Shoot Horses Don't They (Sydney Pollack 1969)
15th Out of the Blue (Dennis Hopper 1980)
14th Mommy (Xavier Dolan 2014)
13th The Marriage of Maria Braun (Fassbinder 1979)
12th Joe (John Avildsen 1970)
11th Samurai Rebellion (Masaki Kobayashi 1967)
10th Cul-De-Sac (Roman Polanski 1966)
9th Mikey and Nicky (Elaine May 1975)
8th Coming Home (Hal Ashby 1978 )
7th Killer Joe (William Friedkin 2011)
6th Before The Devil Knows Your Dead (Lumet 2007)
5th Boy's Don't Cry (1999 Kimberly Peirce)

This is a complete list of all the Main HoFs you've been in.

27th Magical Girl (2014)
25th Les Misérables (Richard Boleslawski 1935)
24th The Secret in Their Eyes (Campanella 2009)
23rd Christiane F. (Uli Edel, 1981)
20th Elmer Gantry (Richard Brooks 1960)
17th Pixote (Hector Babenco 1981)
16th They Shoot Horses Don't They (Sydney Pollack 1969)
15th Out of the Blue (Dennis Hopper 1980)
14th Mommy (Xavier Dolan 2014)
13th The Marriage of Maria Braun (Fassbinder 1979)
12th Joe (John Avildsen 1970)
11th Samurai Rebellion (Masaki Kobayashi 1967)
10th Cul-De-Sac (Roman Polanski 1966)
9th Mikey and Nicky (Elaine May 1975)
8th Coming Home (Hal Ashby 1978 )
7th Killer Joe (William Friedkin 2011)
6th Before The Devil Knows Your Dead (Lumet 2007)
5th Boy's Don't Cry (1999 Kimberly Peirce)
That's less than I thought. I think Samurai Rebellion did the best.

When I pick a film for a HOF, I think of ones I qualify as worthy. Beautiful art house style, except for this one. I just went with one that I felt stood out with Mads filmography. As most know, I tend to gravitate to darker styles but still visually beautiful. I don't want to go mainstream on my choices.

I have so many films in my head I could nominate. It's hard to pick one because each of them mean something to me, my love of some topic or actor.

@Siddon

Next HOF, I will nominate a film, that is heart warming, family friendly and beautiful visually and story wise and I guarantee you will dislike it for some odd reason.

@Siddon

Next HOF, I will nominate a film, that is heart warming, family friendly and beautiful visually and story wise and I guarantee you will dislike it for some odd reason.
I don't think I disliked your last two picks for "odd" reasons...I actually didn't "dislike" Adams Apple I just thought it was cheap and tonally confusing. Also because I couldn't download it I had to use a link and the last twenty minutes went on forever because of buffering issues. Which is why people should pick films that others can see.

I've actually nominated a Mads Mikkelsen Danish Film before

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=60476

It came in last place

I don't think I disliked your last two picks for "odd" reasons...I actually didn't "dislike" Adams Apple I just thought it was cheap and tonally confusing. Also because I couldn't download it I had to use a link and the last twenty minutes went on forever because of buffering issues. Which is why people should pick films that others can see.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=60476

It came in last place
The Salvation, yes because the only solid thing about it was Mads and Mikael Persbrandt's acting. Not sure if you knew, the director was Danish as well.

Also because I couldn't download it I had to use a link and the last twenty minutes went on forever because of buffering issues. Which is why people should pick films that others can see.
I had a couple download links for the film, btw. It's a bit harder to track down than the average film I watch, but it's still possible to do so.

The Salvation, yes because the only solid thing about it was Mads and Mikael Persbrandt's acting. Not sure if you knew, the director was Danish as well.

The Salvation was my pick for this Hall of Fame, I didn't think it would do well but I felt like it deserved a look for the top 100 Westerns and to add a modern Western into this Hall. The film uses duality to illustrate the different effects of PTSD both lead characters are survivors of a war. Mad's of the Second Schleswig War a battle between Germany and Denmark, and Delarue of the US/Indian war. Both men have been twisted by war where one looks towards building a family while the other focused on putting together a gang and building a town.

Both are drawn into conflict with each other because of the deaths of their families. Salvation starts off with a wonderfully claustrophobic and brutal Stagecoach scene and pair of escape scenes on a train and in the desert and finally a man against the gang in the town. The director does a great job of checking every western box with his film.

The script also has some great dark character scenes, one of my favorite scenes is a jail sequence between the leads brother and the Sheriff where the brother just emasculates the Sheriff. And a nice little trivia fact almost every actor in this film actually comes from a different country. The filmmakers did a great job of picking different actors from different nations to play the different roles. The french woman is scarred and silent, the British guy is the mayor and a little corrupt and the heroes are from Denmark and Sweden and the Heavy's are the only American's cast. This is a great twist on the typical European Western formula.

I disagree about Salvation having one good thing...it had quality production values, a clear tone, and an interesting plot.