The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Even if you don't like the look of it and/or think you might hate it, or even if you DO end up hating it (though I find that hard to imagine), It's Such a Beautiful Day is just one of those movies that anyone who loves movies should check out.

It's funny and dark and weird and 100% human and, not to be superficial, but it's also only 62 minutes long. So, to riff on the famous phrase, if you don't like what you're watching, just wait an hour.

I also really love his World of Tomorrow and frequently quote one of the lines of it to myself when life is a bit too much. And that one's only 17 minutes long.

I also really love his World of Tomorrow and frequently quote one of the lines of it to myself when life is a bit too much. And that one's only 17 minutes long.

Have you seen chapters 2 and 3?
I don't know if those will ever be released as one complete movie like ISaBD was.

Even if you don't like the look of it and/or think you might hate it, or even if you DO end up hating it (though I find that hard to imagine), It's Such a Beautiful Day is just one of those movies that anyone who loves movies should check out.

It's funny and dark and weird and 100% human and, not to be superficial, but it's also only 62 minutes long. So, to riff on the famous phrase, if you don't like what you're watching, just wait an hour.

Yeah, but it's raul, so...

Two awesome films.

The In-Laws (Serpentine!) is a hoot. Peter Falk is as crazy as he's ever been with his tse-tse fly story, but Alan Arkin's dentist and Richard Libertini's dictator are equally as good. The real star is funnyman [writer here] Andrew Bergman. It was on my short list and for pure hysterical moments it's way up there.

It's Such A Beautiful Day, my #16, is totally unique and I knew I had to have a Don Hertzfeldt on here and this is the one I chose. It's non-stop witty but it's non-stop tragic too. I eliminated some of my fave bests from my list for this reason but kept this so I'm happy to see it here. Oh yeah, the animation, which could be considered too crude by some, is witty and beautiful too.

P.S. I think Playtime will make it with no help from me.

My List

13. One, Two, Three
16. It's Such A Beautiful Day
25. Ruthless People

You summed up The In-Laws perfectly

Not following one of these before, I am surprised how much every point has actually mattered for the placement so far. I don't know how typical that is or if it's expected more in the lower half and then starts to spread out in the upper half, but I will make the observation:
100. Sullivan's Travels, 61 points
61. It's Such a Beautiful Day. 90 points.

That's a 29 point difference over 40 slots, so averaging less than a point difference per slot so far.

Have you seen chapters 2 and 3?
I don't know if those will ever be released as one complete movie like ISaBD was.
I like the original so much that I've been hesitant. I sometimes have trouble separating out things that exist in the same universe.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Wow, no time to post all week, did enjoy the reading. So, um, grab a beverage and fluff a pillow, it'll be a bit. Sorry. I'll be brief.
BUUUUUTTT, I done a Bookends in this mix. With my One Pointer, I now have Numero Uno. So, yeah, that one, not so brief, not really. But I'll try.

Any poop,

The Hangover

Stu Price: She's got my grandmother's Holocaust ring!
Alan Garner: I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust.

I did see this only once and I REALLY didn't want to when sitting down with my roommate to watch it. Should I give this another shot? I'd rather not.

The Nice Guys

Holly March: Dad, there's like whores here and stuff.
Holland March: Sweetheart, how many times have I told you? Don't say "and stuff". Just say "dad, there are whores here".
Holly March: Well, there's like a ton.

This was a reluctant cut. Black had me with Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang (another reluctant, late cut as well) and this was a great follow-up. Happy to watch either at any ole time for a good laugh.

Ed Wood

Edward D. Wood, Jr.: We don't have a permit. Run!

A very worthy addition. Its comedic aspect is a kind of pleasing delirium that I always find a fascinating experience each time I revisit.

Mean Girls (2004) Never saw, never had any intention to, but after reading several folks' appreciation I found me a link for both this and Clueless. Should be a fun double feature.

Kung Fu Hustle Big Kahuna Award

Sing: I realized then that good guys never win. I want to be bad. I want to be the killer!
Sing's Sidekick: [looks up] Ice cream!
[leaves]
Sing: Where?
[follows]

My number one all-out consistent, constant laughter no matter how many times I watch it. Director/Writer/Leading Actor/Clean Up/Bar Mitzfas. . . purposely shifted dialogue for Dubbed and Subtitled, my preference is the Dubbed. This cartoon looney slap-stick, heart-filled wink, and a smirk to the popular Kung Fu flicks of the Seventies as well as a few other old Hollywood flicks. It's as endearing as it is hilarious for me.

Hmm, not too long, yay

Black Dynamite (2009) Heard of this in the Comedy Personal Rec HoF, looks pretty cool.

Clerks

Coroner: My question is, how did she come to have sex with a dead man?
Dante Hicks: She thought it was me.
Coroner: What kind of convenience store do you run here?

I do enjoy me some Kevin Smith, and it was straight out the gate with Clerks. The genesis of his New Jersey mythos. Great sh#t.

Happy Gilmore

Happy Gilmore: [voice over narration] During high school, I played junior hockey and still hold two league records: most time spent in the penalty box; and I was the only guy to ever take off his skate and try to stab somebody.

The sh#t I had originally thought funny was getting more and more annoying right around here. The pinnacle Jumping the Shark Tank for me. Do wholeheartedly respect its presence here.

The In-Laws

Sheldon: Is he dead?
Vince Ricardo: If he's alive, he's putting on a hell of an act, ain't he?

A great pairing of Alan Arkin and Peter Falk and one I'm in serious need of a rewatch.

Such a Beautiful Day (2012) is very much unknown to be.

Watched: 31 out of 40 (77.5%)
1. Kung Fu Hustle (2004) #66
25. Megamind (2010) One Pointer

One Pointers: 18 out of 42 (40.47%)

I like the original so much that I've been hesitant. I sometimes have trouble separating out things that exist in the same universe.

I haven't seen the third, but the second one is great.

Not following one of these before, I am surprised how much every point has actually mattered for the placement so far. I don't know how typical that is or if it's expected more in the lower half and then starts to spread out in the upper half, but I will make the observation:
100. Sullivan's Travels, 61 points
61. It's Such a Beautiful Day. 90 points.

That's a 29 point difference over 40 slots, so averaging less than a point difference per slot so far.
I hosted the Animation Countdown and the margin between second and first place was 3 points.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I thought The In-Laws was on my list, but I just checked and it just missed. It was in the last round of cuts. It probably would have made my list if it was a Top 30. I'm glad to see that it made the countdown without my help.

It's Such A Beautiful Day is a good movie, but I found it more entertaining than funny.

I gave Its Such A Beautiful Day ,
when I saw it years back when it was peak of its MoFo hype. Can’t say I remember much about it, or even it really being a comedy. Guess I don’t remember it not being a comedy though.

Haven’t even heard of In Laws but looks like one id like

Welcome to the human race...
One vote. It's Such A Beautiful Day was my #11. Another pick of mine that might not necessarily be a laugh riot, but still a blackly comic dive into the human condition rendered as surreal medium-bending stick-figure animation. I think I've heard of The In-Laws before, but I've never seen it.

94 points, 7 lists
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Director

Amy Heckerling, 1982

Starring

Sean Penn, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Judge Reinhold, Phoebe Cates

95 points, 6 lists
What's Up, Doc?
Director

Peter Bogdanovich, 1972

Starring

Barbra Streisand, Ryan O'Neal, Madeline Kahn, Kenneth Mars

PHOENIX74
I forgot the opening line.
I've never been anywhere near Fast Times at Ridgmont High or What's Up, Doc? during my life - I don't know much about 'em, and so this is my time here to be all disappointed by the reveals.....

Seen 30/42

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I haven't seen either and have no intention of changing that.

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Zzzzzz........

C'mon people! These films are supposed to make you laugh your head off. Which What's Up Doc did not do for me.

It's not a horrible movie but we have way better choices than this!

Robin Williams is rolling in his grave.

I've seen Fast Times at Ridgemont High several times, and had it on my first list of potentials. However, even though I know it's a comedy, I identify more with the dramatic aspects of it, so I didn't consider it in the end.

I've never seen What's Up, Doc.

Seen: 27/42

My ballot:  

Reply to Topic