Westworld: Season 4

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
(sigh) I'm still the only one watching this? Without spoilers, as we're now four episodes in, let me just say this: I find this show's ability to tell the story in a discombobulated, non-linear way to be downright annoying. Last night's episode was nearly the last straw. I knew there were multiple timelines being shown, with unannounced switches every few minutes, but as the episode ended, I realized why this bothers me with this particular show (especially in more recent seasons): It doesn't HAVE to be told this way. I feel as if the show is using this tactic merely to give us a false sense of "surprise endings" that are ONLY surprises because we're being jolted back and forth.

I don't see any other good reason to be telling this part of the story with so many switches in the timeline, except to throw us off and make us THINK they're telling a more densely interwoven story. It's not. It's just trying too hard.

Having said THAT, I saw that twist coming. And I have a theory about the Chrissy character, but won't say it here until SOMEONE else starts watching this season with me!

A system of cells interlinked
Avoiding content spoilers, but I saw Au's initial question in her last post.

Still haven't done my recap homework or started this season yet. Looking like maybe it's not worth the effort?

The Adventure Starts Here!
Avoiding content spoilers, but I saw Au's initial question in her last post.

Still haven't done my recap homework or started this season yet. Looking like maybe it's not worth the effort?
Oddly, I like this season way better than the hot mess of season 3. Watch a recap, then dive into at least one episode of season 4. I do have some theories, and at least this season feels more like they have a plan. Season 3 felt like they had no clue what they were doing or aiming for.

A system of cells interlinked
Oddly, I like this season way better than the hot mess of season 3. Watch a recap, then dive into at least one episode of season 4. I do have some theories, and at least this season feels more like they have a plan. Season 3 felt like they had no clue what they were doing or aiming for.
Yea, I need to get to it! I will dig up a recap asap...

I watch this. From my perspective, I thought season 1 was wonderful, and it featured a very compelling performance from Anthony Hopkins. It was very original, which is a rare quality in mainstream TV programming today. However, when Anthony Hopkins left the show as a series regular at the end of Season 1, Westworld for me became much less compelling. Every season after the first season has failed to match the quality of the first season, and its gotten steadily and progressively less enjoyable to watch. In particular, the show has become far too convoluted and confusing. Like other shows that become popular and develop a large following, especially in this genre, the creators have, in my opinion, tried to extend the story in too many directions and have sought to do far too much with the show, which has made it very difficult to understand the events that are being depicted, or their purpose. Westworld worked really well when it was a self-contained story, but since they left the park, it has transformed itself into a very different kind of show, and has lost the essence of what previously made it great. I would have liked to have seen it renewed for Season 5, because it was to be the last season, and that would have given the creators the opportunity to wrap up the story more completely, but I understand why it was cancelled, given that the essence of the story has gotten lost, viewership numbers have seriously declined, and it was such an expensive show to produce. What does everyone else think of Westworld and how it has evolved over time?