The 29th Hall of Fame

Tools    

movies can be okay...
Also I can only talk about what is on the screen...you might feel that it's petty to bring up the humor in the film...to me that was the thing that stood out the most. That and the production design...walking the streets of Iran seeing the homes, the cars, and the people. Those were the things that connected with me enough to talk about...the plot, performances, themes and execution, was just okay to me.
I don't think it's petty to bring up or criticize the humor of the film, I talked about it myself on my own post at great length. What I thought to be petty was your specific reasoning for how the jokes in the examples you gave were explained and ruined. I don't have a problem with someone liking/disliking parts of a movie or its entirety for whatever reason. I initially was just looking for a conversation because some of your viewpoints on the film were exceedingly different to mines.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

movies can be okay...
I have a question about A Moment of Innocence, I know Okay and Speling Error both really liked the film...Do either of you see a personal truth in the film that speaks to you on a deeply personally level? I'm just curious if either of you feel your lives took a path similar to the policeman?
Nope, it's not one of those films for me.

I have a question about A Moment of Innocence, I know Okay and Speling Error both really liked the film...Do either of you see a personal truth in the film that speaks to you on a deeply personally level? I'm just curious if either of you feel your lives took a path similar to the policeman?
Not particularly. I mostly just really enjoyed the film and found its story compelling. Topped with the meta angle and some other elements like the final shot, it left a huge impact on me.

Not particularly. I mostly just really enjoyed the film and found its story compelling. Topped with the meta angle and some other elements like the final shot, it left a huge impact on me.
Thanks.

I though maybe one, or both of you, had once encountered a girl that you liked but never pursued it and had that as a connection to the film (like the policeman's backstory).

Thanks.

I though maybe one, or both of you, had once encountered a girl that you liked but never pursued it and had that as a connection to the film (like the policeman's backstory).
I've definitely had some instances where that happened, but I wouldn't say that has a bearing on my reaction to the film.

Tomboy (2011)

Well it wouldn't be a Hall of Fame without underage nudity and this installment is featured Tomboy. I'll give credit where it's due the film handles the subject matter with a lot more sensitivity than other films that have been selected in the past.

Basically the story of Tomboy is a young moves to a new city and she starts to pass for a boy so she can be included and not isolated. While playing with the boys she begins an early relationship of sorts with a young female in the group. It's a little odd because while it's a short film it felt like half the runtime was watching the children play.

The biggest problem I had with the film is similar to many of these coming of age films the lead didn't really have much of a personality. The filmmaker was clearly going for something touching but I don't think she ever really achieved it. It's the sort of thing that grounds the film and keeps it from being a Classic. I don't know if after watching this film I have a grasp as to who Mikael is.

It is however a good film, it has a sense earnest that is touching. It's also tackling some very weighty aspects of gender, sexuality, and family. There's a moment near the end when everything kind of falls apart and you see a character deal with it...not in the moment but the next day. It's one of those things that feels painfully real and it's not something a lot of films do. This was a good powerful small film.

I forgot the opening line.

The Year My Voice Broke - (1987)

Directed by John Duigan

Written by John Duigan

Starring Noah Taylor, Loene Carmen, Ben Mendelsohn
& Graeme Blundell

Like a society in miniature, the small country town in The Year My Voice Broke has a shared history, with all it's inhabitants seeming to know each other, and their sometimes dubious pasts. On it's outskirts are the wide open spaces so common to many of these towns - and the colours of the film dominate - blue, gold and brown (note how the blues in the clothes and brownish gold of the skin match in the film's poster.) The feel, visual quality, sound and story all resonate with me, and as such this has become a very multi-faceted film that I'm strongly attracted to. The story is set in 1962, a little before my time, but there's a lot that is still recognizable to me, and a genuine feel for how the world appears to young Danny (Noah Taylor), who is passing through what is a seminal moment in his life - in love with his lifelong friend Freya Olson (Loene Carmen) while the music and movies of a new generation leave their influence. It's a very poetic film, with many beautiful moments that don't take anything away from the down-to-earth reality of it's characters, and life as it appeared at that moment. It's a moving film, with an astute sense of emotional complexity.

While working on a farm in the surrounding countryside Danny and Freya come into contact with Trevor Leishman (Ben Mendelsohn) whose masculinity immediately attracts Freya, much to Danny's dismay. He sticks close to the pair in an attempt to compete for Freya's love, but her physical attraction to Trevor is enough to win her over in spite of caring deeply for Danny, who is a year younger than she is. In the midst of this love triangle, the history of an abandoned house on the outskirts of the town becomes significant once Danny finds out who once lived there, who Freya's real mother was, and what she was like. In the meantime, Freya becomes pregnant and Trevor goes on the run after a robbery he commits, injuring a bystander. He may have wanted Freya to run away with him, but once he learns of her condition he decides that her safety is paramount - and events will eventually conspire to separate the three, leaving what they went through an enduring memory to Danny. One of those bittersweet remembrances of his youth.

This was one of those films that far exceeded my expectations going in, despite it winning 5 AFI Awards (the Australian equivalent of the Oscars) in 1987, including Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor for Ben Mendelsohn, Best Screenplay and the Members Prize. It has a visual quality that doesn't take anything away from it's story - occasionally rewarding people watching closely with very nice shots, such as one where a passing train reflects direct sunlight through it's windows as it passes by, and many expansive shots of the wide open countryside. It provides a lot of interest for being the start of two great actors' careers - both Noah Taylor and Mendelsohn would go on to be players on the International stage, and I certainly remember them being lauded in the late 80s. It has a soundtrack which accommodates quite a few classic 60s songs, but at the same time doesn't intrude with them, relying on a much more lilting, gentle number - 'The Lark Ascending' - which was first composed in 1921 by British nationalist composer Ralph Vaughan Williams, with other contributions from Christine Woodruff.

All of the characters feel very real. Mendelsohn's unusual laugh was a creation that was simply a derivation of his real laughter, which writer/director John Duigan asked him to greatly exaggerate. Noah Taylor and Loene Carmen began a close friendship which endures to this day. Playing Freya's adoptive stepfather, Nils, was an actor very well known in Australia, Graeme Blundell. An interesting dynamic is set up when it becomes apparent that Danny's father (Malcolm Robertson) at one time slept with Freya's birth mother around the time she got pregnant, which sets up a question that has no answer - could Freya be Danny's half-sister? Was Nils compelled to adopt Freya because he thought he was Freya's real father? At one stage he utters a very untoward comment regarding remembering Freya's mother's face - "You never look at the mantlepiece when you're stoking the fire." Her birth mother is described as the "town bike" (ie - everybody gets a ride) which establishes how she was looked upon, and how Freya is looked upon when she falls pregnant. Small town cruelty at it's worst.

I credit John Duigan with not only the perfect and relatable screenplay, and inspired direction, but also the visuals that cinematographer Geoff Burton captured, with even the day-for-night scenes giving the film's atmosphere an ethereal quality. I love what I see in this film. The production seems to have been charmed, for the day after filming wrapped the rains came, transforming the landscape from brown and gold to green in what would have been a disaster. At various stages natural lightning occurred at perfect times and was caught on film at the right moments, and an invading swarm of moths were captured when Duigan saw them and rushed his camera crew out from where they'd retired for the night. Many of the songs you hear on the soundtrack went up in price ten-fold shortly after the film was released, which meant that if it had of been made any later these songs would have been out of the film's reach budget-wise. I'm grateful, because the end product was worth all of this fortune.

There are many scenes and ideas I particularly like, such as the idea of events soaking into the surrounding environment and leaving an invisible, indelible and permanent mark, voiced through Bruce Spence's Jonah. I like the way Trevor sticks up for Danny at school despite them being rivals for the same girl, and I think the scene where Trevor takes friendly frolicking way too far when he hold's Freya's head down under water, scaring nearly everybody - and the strange way Freya kind of accepts what he did, despite obviously causing her a lot of angst and perhaps even pain - is really striking. I love the way the characters are drawn towards the derelict house (another fortunate boon for the filmmakers - they found the perfect derelict house near the town of Braidwood, in New South Wales where they were filming, and dragged old farm equipment over to create the silhouettes you see) perhaps because of the history of the place, which they are mostly unconscious of. I love the soundscape Duigan and the sound crew created, mixing suggestive and haunting sounds with nature at night during the time they spend there.

When presented as a whole, all these aspects of The Year My Voice Broke come together into a really excellent, fully fleshed-out, and immersive remembrance - and added to that is the personal way I look back to my youth - some of which was spent in an Australian country town. At times, and especially near the end, there are some shots which combine great acting and visual acuity in the expressions our characters have, and really highlights the intimate quality this film expresses itself with. Freya often hides herself away in the rocks of her 'special place', as if the landscape itself is embracing her, and there does seem to be a kind of magnetic pull these places have - while at the same time the townspeople as a group feel repulsive. There's a definite disconnect between the three young characters in this film and their families, so the camaraderie they feel together is especially strong - and this helps Danny and Freya be stoic in the face of overwhelming sadness, creating for Danny a memory that he treasures, and a formative one, despite any sorrow all of this inevitably came with. The great physical distances between towns, and the great distance the years put between us and our most vivid experiences, will heal us, but still leave one of those invisible, indelible, yet permanent marks.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

movies can be okay...
While working on a farm in the surrounding countryside Danny and Freya come into contact with Trevor Leishman (Ben Mendelsohn) whose masculinity immediately attracts Freya, much to Danny's dismay. He sticks close to the pair in an attempt to compete for Freya's love, but her physical attraction to Trevor is enough to win her over in spite of caring deeply for Danny, who is a year younger than she is.

He may have wanted Freya to run away with him, but once he learns of her condition he decides that her safety is paramount - and events will eventually conspire to separate the three, leaving what they went through an enduring memory to Danny. One of those bittersweet remembrances of his youth.

An interesting dynamic is set up when it becomes apparent that Danny's father (Malcolm Robertson) at one time slept with Freya's birth mother around the time she got pregnant, which sets up a question that has no answer - could Freya be Danny's half-sister? Was Nils compelled to adopt Freya because he thought he was Freya's real father?

I credit John Duigan with not only the perfect and relatable screenplay, and inspired direction, but also the visuals that cinematographer Geoff Burton captured, with even the day-for-night scenes giving the film's atmosphere an ethereal quality. I love what I see in this film. The production seems to have been charmed, for the day after filming wrapped the rains came, transforming the landscape from brown and gold to green in what would have been a disaster.

I like the way Trevor sticks up for Danny at school despite them being rivals for the same girl, and I think the scene where Trevor takes friendly frolicking way too far when he hold's Freya's head down under water, scaring nearly everybody - and the strange way Freya kind of accepts what he did, despite obviously causing her a lot of angst and perhaps even pain - is really striking. I love the way the characters are drawn towards the derelict house (another fortunate boon for the filmmakers - they found the perfect derelict house near the town of Braidwood, in New South Wales where they were filming, and dragged old farm equipment over to create the silhouettes you see) perhaps because of the history of the place, which they are mostly unconscious of.

Freya often hides herself away in the rocks of her 'special place', as if the landscape itself is embracing her, and there does seem to be a kind of magnetic pull these places have - while at the same time the townspeople as a group feel repulsive.
That was a great read, and an informative one as well! Thanks for your efforts.

I quoted my favorite parts btw.

Adams Apple (2005)

This was an interesting watch, it was nice to get a break from the coming of age films I'd been watching. Adams Apple tells the story of a Nazi who is sent to a parish for community service he's with I believe and rapist, murderer, and a former SS officer. I guess Denmark's not big on keeping criminals locked up for long periods of time.

This was sort of a mixed bag of a film for me. Mads Mikkelsen is very good in this as a Priest with some very strange ideas. I think it was supposed to be humorous...the jokes didn't really land with me. At times it felt like it was dark humor but silly dark humor. The film also had some serious budget issues, 95% of the film takes place in just two locations, a Church and a Doctors office. To the credit of the cinematographer they try and vary up the shots and move the plot into different rooms and places outside but it's kinda boring. The worst thing of the film is the score which made the film feel like it was a made for TV film.

My biggest issue with the film is I didn't know where it was going or what it was going for. Was this supposed to be some sort of Apocryphal tale or was this a silly dark comedy. It kinda goes in both directions at time not fully committing to either. I also think the filmmaker made an error in telling the story from Nazi's point of view rather from the Priests. Mad's is very good in this and a compelling figure almost nobody else in the film has any charisma.

Adams Apple (2005)

This was an interesting watch, it was nice to get a break from the coming of age films I'd been watching. Adams Apple tells the story of a Nazi who is sent to a parish for community service he's with I believe and rapist, murderer, and a former SS officer. I guess Denmark's not big on keeping criminals locked up for long periods of time.

This was sort of a mixed bag of a film for me. Mads Mikkelsen is very good in this as a Priest with some very strange ideas. I think it was supposed to be humorous...the jokes didn't really land with me. At times it felt like it was dark humor but silly dark humor. The film also had some serious budget issues, 95% of the film takes place in just two locations, a Church and a Doctors office. To the credit of the cinematographer they try and vary up the shots and move the plot into different rooms and places outside but it's kinda boring. The worst thing of the film is the score which made the film feel like it was a made for TV film.

My biggest issue with the film is I didn't know where it was going or what it was going for. Was this supposed to be some sort of Apocryphal tale or was this a silly dark comedy. It kinda goes in both directions at time not fully committing to either. I also think the filmmaker made an error in telling the story from Nazi's point of view rather from the Priests. Mad's is very good in this and a compelling figure almost nobody else in the film has any charisma.
He wasn't a Nazi but a neoNazi. Americans refer to them as the slang Skinheads. They consider themselves of the Aryan race.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Nazism?wprov=sfla1

He wasn't a Nazi but a neoNazi. Americans refer to them as the slang Skinheads. They consider themselves of the Aryan race.

Feels like semantics to me the guy had the Hitler picture as a plot point.

Goldfinger

-

I had seen this a couple of times before but it's been many years. I've seen all of the Connery and Moore Bond films, and some of the others. It's a series I look at fondly but yet I don't really consider myself a fan. The movies I enjoyed the most were the late 70's and early 80's Moore films, but I was a kid then. I now suspect that those are lesser Bond films and that my opinions would be different now. One constant would seem to be that I never enjoyed one of the movies as much as I thought I would. It's as if I like the idea more than the product itself. Same thing with the Bourne and Mission Impossible movies. Therefore I have always thought of myself as not the biggest fan of spy films. It's why I haven't seen the entirety of any of these series.

Time and totality has caused me to mix up Bond films, the same way I have mixed up the Halloween series and others. While watching Goldfinger last night I kept waiting for Richard Kiel to show up but of course it never happened. I clearly remembered some parts of the film but most of the time I had no idea what was coming next. I knew this would be the case and so I was glad that it was nominated, not always the case with films I've seen before.

While I would hesitate to say I loved this film, I feel that I can say it was my best viewing yet of a Bond film, and I am now interested in seeing more. One thing that hasn't changed is that I love the parts more than the whole. There are a lot of positives; from Connery, to the opening credits and song, to the gadgets, the woman, and more. Oh yea, the locales are a huge bonus for me. Pussy Galore is the best name in the history of existence and the greatest two words that could ever be put together.

I don't know if anyone else remembers, and I didn't until the scene happened, but there was a discussion on MoFo a few years ago about the barn scene. After some googling I quickly confirmed that it is indeed a thing out there that some people don't like Bond because they believe he raped Pussy Galore. I don't want to get into it too much so I'll just say a couple of things. "No means no" is a good mantra for young men to go by, and women I suppose. However, as a person ages and goes through different experiences, you come to understand that depending on the person and the situation, no doesn't always mean no. It just doesn't. Most of the audience will understand this, and you can be sure that James Bond understood this. Besides all that, at this point in the movie Pussy Galore is knowingly and willfully participating in a plot that will kill thousands of people, including James Bond. She was at that point a villain, not a victim. If the movie were like many others, Bond could have simply killed her and escaped, and nobody would have an issue. Instead people are left confused at the ending scene when Pussy is lovingly with her supposed rapist under the parachute. These are fictional characters and movies that are meant to be enjoyed. Adults should know the difference.

When he asked if that was his father I almost pissed myself laughing.
Lol

Oh, oh he's a good looking man.

Yeah it's one of my favorite parts. I find it funny as well.

Lol

Oh, oh he's a good looking man.

Yeah it's one of my favorite parts. I find it funny as well.
My wife kept asking me what the hell I was watching because I kept laughing so hard

I watched Adam's Apples (2005) today for the first time. Directed by Anders Thomas Jensen, the film stars Mads Mikkelsen and Ulrich Thomsen. It's a dark comedy about a neo-nazi sentenced to community service at a church and his interactions with the church's unusual priest.

There are some interesting ideas here, but for me it only partly worked. Some of it didn't really land the way I think it was supposed to, but there were some good moments. Mads Mikkelsen is the highlight of the film. He does a great job and brings a lot of depth and layers to the character. With a lesser actor, it might not have worked at all. The other actors were fine, but didn't really stand out to me.

I didn't find the film very funny though. At times, it felt longer than what it actually was and seemed like it was dragging. There were enough strong moments though to keep it going. Cinematography and score were pretty good. I had mixed feelings about the screenplay. Some stuff I liked and other parts didn't work as well as they should have. Still, I'm glad I finally got around to seeing this.

My wife kept asking me what the hell I was watching because I kept laughing so hard
Yeah it's a funny film. Not sure why some don't get the humour. It's about how positive Mads character was in times that everything was going wrong.

How his son liked to go out and play in the sun. Then again, when you finally see his son. Lol

Yeah it's a funny film. Not sure why some don't get the humour. It's about how positive Mads character was in times that everything was going wrong.

How his son liked to go out and play in the sun. Then again, when you finally see his son. Lol
It's part of the reason why we don't get many comedies nominated, different senses of humor. It probably would've made my comedy ballot if I didn't lean heavily on nostalgia.

It's part of the reason why we don't get many comedies nominated, different senses of humor. It probably would've made my comedy ballot if I didn't lean heavily on nostalgia.
Also, we enjoy the darker side of cinema.