The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Love “Freeway”!

But imagine few here love deep dark comedy. Luckily, I can’t be offended.

I haven't seen it since early college (so about a year after it came out), only saw it once, can barely remember a scene or two (I do remember the opening credits telling you what story you're getting), but I remember I really enjoyed. Because it was the 90s, and I don't think there was any type of comedy I liked more as a mid-late teenager than a dark comedy. So nothing defined 90s comedies to me like dark comedies (I have at least one more on my ballot).

And when I was looking through 90s movies on letterboxd and saw that and went, "I remember that. That was definitely amongst the dark comedies I watched back then."

I think the only dark comedy of the era that I remember watching and thinking was kinda bad, but still enjoyed, because I was aware I was an easy get, was Very Bad Things.

I remember thinking even The Cable Guy was better than that, despite Jim Carrey's presence (who just didn't mesh with the rest of the film, in my recollection, and was my go to brief-imagination of why Jim Carrey would have been a bad fit for Beetlejuice) - I'm still overall positive on that one based on my 20 year old memory of it. It's funny how many of those I haven't revisited in the years since, but if they showed up on something like Shudder, I'd probably turn them on now and watch them (I'm saying Shudder just because, Heathers, for whatever showed up on there a few years ago and I got some nice nostalgia that way).

ETA: Given Woolly never thought of After Hours as a dark comedy, I am over 80% certain, Freeway would have been another he wouldn't have thought of as a comedy.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've seen both Clerks and Clerks II, but I just don't understand what people love about these movies. I sell collectibles at comic conventions, so these should have been movies that I would have liked, but they just don't work for me.

I've seen a few Adam Sandler movies, but Happy Gilmore isn't one of them. He's very hit or miss for me, but maybe I'll give it a chance if I come across it one day.

I'll guess Clue and The Apartment.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

90 points, 5 lists
The In-Laws
Director

Arthur Hiller, 1979

Starring

Peter Falk, Alan Arkin, Richard Libertini, Nancy Dussault

90 points, 6 lists
It's Such a Beautiful Day
Director

Don Hertzfeldt, 2012

Starring

Don Hertzfeldt, Sara Cushman

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Super lame day

Hooray, finally another one from my ballot! It's Such a Beautiful Day is an absolute masterpiece and a 10/10. It was #17 on my ballot. The In Laws was good, an 8/10, but didn't make my ballot.

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
We finally get another animation (after the South Park debacle) and then we choose this!?

Remember when I posted about how my brother admited to getting 2001 and Plan 9 from Outer Space confused sometimes? Well, I remember I time when I was super surprised when he told me that he had seen It's Such a Beautiful Day. That really made my day, I can tell you. There hadn't been such an incredible surreal comedy with that much heart since Annie Hall. 96/100.

Seen 25/40.

PHOENIX74
I forgot the opening line.
I discovered The In-Laws after reading a review here, and it really didn't disappoint. It's probably the most recent watch on my list, at #13 - it just had to be. I don't even have the superlatives to describe it - certainly endlessly quotable, and probably the most funny movie out there that I had no idea existed until now. That seems crazy, but I guess the film wasn't well marketed, and existed at a time when if a film disappeared from cinema screens it took more time to find an audience. God bless Peter Falk, Alan Arkin, and that movie - and to hell with recency bias - I'm sure about The In-Laws, no doubt about it. I loved it, and still love to think about it's most funny moments, which are hilarious.

I have never heard of It's Such a Beautiful Day, and I really never expected to be saying that at this point in the countdown, but here we are.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Films I've seen : 30
Films that have been on my radar : 7
Films I've never even heard of : 3

Films from my list : 4

#62 - My #13 - The In-Laws - (1979)
#65 - My #21 - Black Dynamite - (2009)
#82 - My #8 - The Producers - (1967)
One pointer - Brewster McCloud (1970)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

mattiasflgrtll6
The truth is in here
I've only seen the remake of The In-Laws actually. It was okay, but a little too silly at times and very uneven tonally. Michael Douglas and Albert Brooks manage to keep it afloat. I'd love to check out the original some day.

Never heard of ‘em.

Two doughnut days in a row for me, having seen neither The In-Laws or It's A Beautiful Day. I'm such a dreadful MoFo.

Seen: 20/40

I love It’s Such a Beautiful Day, but I didn’t at all think of it when I made my list. It is amusing in a way, but it’s more existential intellectual amusement than laugh out loud hilarity. But it’s great.

Haven’t seen or heard of the other one.

I do love "The In-Laws", never knew they did a remake. But I chose two other Peter Faik films for my ballot. One better damn well make it!

Never even heard of " It's Such a Beautiful Day"...WTF?

Another bit of homework that I look forward to. I love Falk so I think In-Laws looks pretty cool. Check that one out soon.

It’s Such A Beautiful Day is well written. I enjoy it for what it is. My PC version is it’s movie adjacent. 😀

Have done some homework in the last week or so. Watched One, Two, Three, Big Trouble, and Kung-Fu Hustle. None would have made my list.

No votes. It's Such A Beautiful Day is very well made and I respect it a lot but don't love it. As I said when Rejected was mentioned, I just don't how I feel about Hertzfeldt in general. I don't think I've ever heard of The In-Laws.

Still only National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation on the list proper for me, plus Knick Knack from the One-Pointers.

Reply to Topic