The Hall of Infamy

Tools    

Out of curiosity though, why did you guys dislike the shot posted above so strongly? Not a fan of layering or something? Because I think it's a cool design.
i love anything that adds texture to a shot and if you're not making every shot as cool as you can you're making films wrong.

There was no real point to it. The whole movie had psychedelic effects just thrown in. Save them for music videos. And if it has to be in a movie, save them for something more on the surreal, Hitchcockian or Lynchian side. Or Ren and Stimpy.
I don't know that there's a big thematic point for them being in the film. However, the way I look at it is that, even if we want to accept the film as being a failure, it's still far more aesthetically interesting than most films are willing to be. If something is willing to stick to big, weird ideas like that, this should be more of a badge of honor than something to despise the movie for. This should count for something, I feel.

For example, when A Touch of Zen got all psychedelic at the end, I wasn't sure what the thematic significance of that was or how to interpret it, but I still appreciated the boldness in ending the film that way, if that makes sense. It was aesthetically very pleasing to watch.

And to restate, I have Lust for Frankenstein as a
, so I don't think it's an impressive or even a good film per se, but it's not one without merits, in my opinion.

That Lust for Frankenstein shot is pretty great. Compositionally and colour wise there are a lot of fascinating things going on there. Don't know if it would be enough to make me want to watch the whole movie, but if I did, I sure wouldn't be bothered if that particular shot didn't have a 'point'. It might be even better if it didn't.

It reminds me of a couple of stills that come from the movie I would have submitted.

Also great.
I will watch this... eventually.

i haven't but just now seeing a friend's letterboxd review has me sold.

It doesn't have any of the digital weirdness of the screenshot you posted, but if you want to see what it looks like when someone scrambles to make a movie and falls back on reflexes they picked up from making movies on the cheap and combines those reflexes in the most baffling way possible, it will do the trick. I think Doris Wishman has made better movies (Bad Girls Go to Hell is genuinely quite good), but none this strange.

It should be on YouTube.

(Also, there are two versions. The original cut, which was lost, forcing Wishman to remake the movie on the fly, and the better known version which was the result of those efforts. The original version resurfaced a few years ago and is supposed to be more coherent, but I haven't seen it. The better known version is what I'd recommend.)

you can't just post this and not tell me what its from
Boardinghouse, unless I'm mistaken.

Boardinghouse, unless I'm mistaken.

Yes

Also, the original cut Night to Dismember has absolutely none of the insane charms of the reedited version, and from what I recall, is almost a completely worthless watch.

The re-edit is the only one that should be considered legit. And you'll know your watching that one if you are immediately confused over what is happening in the first five minutes.

Yes

Also, the original cut Night to Dismember has absolutely none of the insane charms of the reedited version, and from what I recall, is almost a completely worthless watch.

The re-edit is the only one that should be considered legit. And you'll know your watching that one if you are immediately confused over what is happening in the first five minutes.
The re-edit also stars the great Samantha Fox (no, not that one, the other one), who apparently paid to be in the movie only to give a career worst peformance.

now i'm curious. what's a film that y'all genuinely love that could have handily won this hall? i think Zorns Lemma could have been a contender lmao.
I think that my tastes are honestly to "centrist" for anything I love to win or come close to winning. To be sure, there are movies I love that have their detractors, but I think even the more divisive movies I adore would mainly split the room, not have everyone think it was trash.

Maybe Sorceress (2017), which most people would find boring but I thought was kind of dreamy?

yo this sounds dope actually
I wanted more queer magic.

Loved the poster, though.

And I'll add The Headless Eyes to one I like that could win.

Admittedly, though, when movies aren't rooted in narrative (which is the primary way I click with art), I often need to hear someone say why they like it so that I can be attuned to those elements when watching. In this case, it was a Crumbsroom rec.

I don't know that there's a big thematic point for them being in the film. However, the way I look at it is that, even if we want to accept the film as being a failure, it's still far more aesthetically interesting than most films are willing to be. If something is willing to stick to big, weird ideas like that, this should be more of a badge of honor than something to despise the movie for. This should count for something, I feel.

For example, when A Touch of Zen got all psychedelic at the end, I wasn't sure what the thematic significance of that was or how to interpret it, but I still appreciated the boldness in ending the film that way, if that makes sense. It was aesthetically very pleasing to watch.

And to restate, I have Lust for Frankenstein as a
, so I don't think it's an impressive or even a good film per se, but it's not one without merits, in my opinion.

Having it a couple times is one thing. Throwing it in for five minutes, typically during a sex scene between two ugly people, EVERY six minutes to have one or two minutes in between to tell a tiny bit of a story in between just means the effect wears out it welcome.