The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'll say The Waterboy and Harvey.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'm a bit behind here.

Best in Show is good and has some very funny moments. I voted for another mockumentary though. Quite high. I think I saw someone say it was coming next. No way, Top 11!

Snatch is alright but I've never really cared for Guy Ritchie.

Had a rewatch of Big Trouble in Little China kind of recently. My girlfriend watching it with me: "What are we watching? This is insane." Me: "I know, right!"

Someone mentioned not liking Napoleon Dynamite on the first go but it got better. I agree but I've only watched it twice. That second viewing I liked it a lot more. The first viewing I wasn't a fan. I wonder why I rewatched it anyway? Meh probably not my choice.

I rewatched The Hangover recently too and that was a lot of fun. I think alcohol helps. Kind of like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, in which anything helps. So figured I'd check out the the second one. Pretty much the exact same thing but that's alright if you liked the first one. Just a cash grab. They didn't try to hide it. I remember hating the third one though.

The Nice Guys was a very pleasant surprise. This one flew under the radar (I think) but has found a following post-movie theatre (I think). Good movie though.

Still batting 1.000 in the "seen" category. I expect to have seen them all but who knows.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched both The Hangover and The Nice Guys for this countdown, and I pretty much feel the same way about both movies. They're both enjoyable movies, but more for the story than the humor. There were some funny lines in both, but not a lot of laugh out loud moments for me in either movie.

Of the two movies, I'd say that I liked The Nice Guys more than The Hangover, but neither movie made my list. (And I think that Ken Jeong is one of the most annoying people on the planet, so that knocked The Hangover down a few notches for me.)

Okay, another two really good comedies - another two comedies that weren't on my ballot. Does my sense of humour differ from mofo that much? Or will I find out that my sense of humour is exactly matched to mofos? Only time will tell.

The Hangover is great, and I watched it again recently in a Hangover marathon, but although I remember the second pretty well (and the first is glued into my memory) I can't remember the third one at all. Obviously this was huge for Zach Galifianakis, and he's a really funny guy, but this was even bigger for Bradley Cooper, and gave him his big breakout role. You have all your personality types in one tight-knit group, and having them rediscover a night that we never witness (ala Reservoir Dogs almost) was an inspired touch. It's probably been milked dry by now, but that hasn't sullied the reputation of this massive comedic release which still brings back good memories. Go 21st Century! I thought we'd be bereft of those titles, but instead I'm getting scared for the pre 80s/90s - so now I'm rooting for older films.

The Nice Guys is a good one, and I like that fact that Ryan Gosling can play roles where he's the accident-prone, less worldly member of this detective team. Loved him in Lars and the Real Girl, which I'm starting to think won't show - which is a shame (but all the same, I didn't vote for it.) A great pair-up, in Nice Guys really - and I liked seeing Russel Crowe in a comedy (albeit as the straight guy) - but this wasn't funny enough for me to vote it in as one of the greatest ever comedies. Real quality, but all the same, I don't see it up there. Just a plain good comedy, but we've got over 100 years of comedies to choose from.

24/32 seen - and still that lonely little number, The Producers (should have been higher up) from my list. And the 1-pointer
I can relate to what you're saying here. I'm starting to think that only a handful of the rest of all of my pre-21st Century picks on my list will make it. Oi, do I feel old! And I really like a lot of year 2000 and beyond comedies. For example:

The Hangover: I loved this one. Really funny stuff, especially the revelation brought by the photos. Liked the sequel as well. Not sure if I saw the third one or not.

The Nice Guys: Great movie! I really liked seeing Ryan Gosling playing a guy frightened out of his wits---he's got some great comic chops. Angourie Rice was a revelation as Goslings worldly-wise daughter. I've seen her in the remake of The Beguiled and in support in the Tom Holland Spider-Man movies. But I thought she would have really blown up by now. I guess she's just picking her projects slowly. EDIT: Now I see she has a movie, Honor Society, which looks like fun, coming out on Paramount+, which I do not have nor will ever have, so crap!

But, as before, I've only one 20th Century movie on my list that has shown up so far and only one movie from my list to make it and that is:
Stripes #8 for me, #90 for the big list.

Still, I am having a great time seeing the differing views of people on various movies, and I've enjoyed most of the movies on the list, as I've seen most of them.

The Nice Guys is a surprisingly consistent balance between the dark and gritty and black comedy. I honestly never expected it to be that good. 9.5/10.

85 points, 6 lists
Ed Wood
Director

Tim Burton, 1994

Starring

Johnny Depp, Martin Landau, Sarah Jessica Parker, Patricia Arquette

86 points, 6 lists
Mean Girls
Director

Mark Waters, 2004

Starring

Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, Tina Fey, Lacey Chabert

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Ed Wood is a good movie. And Mean Girls is ok, mainly because of McAdams.

But where the hell is the Sandman in this countdown!?!?!?

Haven't seen Ed Wood.

I remember enjoying Mean Girls, but I haven't seen it in years.

Love Ed Wood. It didn't make my ballot, but I'm of course glad it made the list.

Martin Landau's performance as Bela Lugosi is my favorite movie performance of all time. I can't think of another one that generated such genuine laughter and tears from me. I know a lot of people wanted Samuel L. Jackson to win for Pulp Fiction, and as much as I also love that performance, I think the Academy made the right choice.

Ed Wood is fantastic and I rated it a 9/10, although it didn't make my ballot. Mean Girls is just alright, a little overrated, in my opinion.

Ed Wood was #49 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1990s. This is the first appearance for Mean Girls on any MoFo list.

I've seen Ed Wood, but don't remember it well enough to judge it and certainly didn't vote for it. I didn't like Mean Girls at all.

PHOENIX74
I forgot the opening line.
I absolutely love Ed Wood - so why didn't I vote for it? Good question. I guess I had it filed away under biopic and true story instead of comedy, but it is a comedy as well, and I'm glad enough people love it with the required intensity to see it here without my help. The story of Edward D. Wood Jr. had fascinated me prior to this film being made, so I was very anxious to see what Tim Burton had done with his life and work, and it came out better than I could have even hoped for. Giving it that 1950s Ed Wood kind of style was an inspired touch, and the humour I wasn't expecting. I thought Wood's story funny enough as it was, but Burton, Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski added a sublimely camp sense of fun, with many winks, nods and jokes. This countdown has a habit of throwing up films I love that weren't on my list.

Mean Girls, just like Clueless, I'd left for others I thought had been the target audience, so I'll get around to watching it if mofo thinks this highly of it. I never knew some of these comedies were that good. I know absolutely nothing about it. But I very much knew it existed.

Seen 25/34

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

That's more like it. Ed Wood is excellent fun and would have been high on my ballot for sure. I vaguely remember quite enjoying Mean Girls but it's been over a decade since I've seen it and it would have needed a rewatch to be under consideration.

Seen: 18/34

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
2 more! 2 more!

Didn't like Ed Wood that much and have never even considered watching Mean Girls.

Reply to Topic