Anybody Have a 4th July Movie Tradition?

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)
1776 (1972)
Independence Day (1996)

Jaws and Return of the Living Dead (watched that one today though. It starts on July 3rd).

For me, the fourth is all about Julie James' boobs trying to declare their independence from her top.

Two of the guys in my neighborhood apologized to me today for July 4th. We had a good laugh & it was an amusing moment in a stressful day.

Victim of The Night
For me it has always been Yankee Doodle Dandy, though I feel significantly less patriotic this year than usual so I will probably give it a pass.

Uh, Independence Day?

Don't know why, but I always remember Jeff Goldblum's walk from this scene of the movie.
Sometimes when I'm out for my evening walk I even try to imitate it! (Without the cigar, of course).

You ready? You look ready.
Don't know why, but I always remember Jeff Goldblum's walk from this scene of the movie.
Sometimes when I'm out for my evening walk I even try to imitate it! (Without the cigar, of course).
It’s all in the hips

DIE HARD

And you thought it was a Christmas movie.

I'm onto Avatar 2 on this one. The moment it airs, I'm on the run.

It’s all in the hips
I got confused for a while and thought it was Will Smith doing the gangly-armed swagger so I stopped doing it... but nope, it's Jeff! (So now I'm doing the walk again!)

I just realized... wouldn't Jeff Goldblum have made a great Scarecrow (Jonathan Crane) for a Batman movie?

"In the water I'm a very skinny lady"
My tradition was watching the Twilight Zone marathon on TV every 4th of July. None of the networks aired the show this year. Very disappointing. Other than that my movie tradition is watching Frogs and Jaws. Camp & Classic. Both movies took place on Independence day.

These days I am in bands, which means I am working and have neither the time nor the energy to watch anything on July Fourth. This was the crowd we played to on Sunday. Monday's was almost as big...

We had a gig on Saturday, too, so I am still exhausted.

While I lived in Portland, Oregon (2004-2011) my tradition was to watch Bill Forsyth's overlooked gem Breaking In (1989). With a script by John Sayles and starring Burt Reynolds and Casey Siemaszko it is set in Portland following two burglars, one the old expert the other an eager novice. The final heist is set at an amusement park during the Fourth of July, with the burglars using the fireworks display to mask the sound of their explosive charges opening a large safe. For the final five years I was in Portland I lived in the Sellwood neighborhood, above a store, with access to the roof which served as a quasi-porch. The amusement park in the movie is the Oaks Amusement Park, which opened in 1905. It is also in the Sellwood neighborhood, below the ridge from my apartment. I would watch Breaking In and time it to finish around dark, then take a lawn chair on the roof and watch those same fireworks over Oaks Park.

I watched it the first year or so after I moved back to Maryland, but it had fallen away as a tradition now that I no longer live there. Wonderful movie. Terribly underrated. For my money the best Burt Reynolds performance from the last third of his career.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra