The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I have a mockumentary on my ballot but it isn't Best in Show, though I love it and it is certainly a worthy addition. Snatch is a lot of fun and very rewatchable but it was nowhere near my top twenty-five.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Hooray! another from my ballot...BUT which of today's reveals was it??? Hint, if you know anything about me and what kind of films I like and which I don't, then you can probably guess.
WARNING: "Which One?" spoilers below

Best in Show (2000) was my #16, hilarious movie and extra funny for me because I use to watch the\Westminster Kennel Club Dog show every year.

Two more donuts from me. I've seen both, and remember enjoying them quite a bit, but it's been a while.

Seen: 19/28

My ballot:  

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Best in Show has a collection of amusing nutball pet owners, but nothing compares to Fred Willard's wacko commentator.

The main thing I remember about Snatch is how crazy Brad Pitt is and how it gave me flashbacks to Fight Club. I think Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is a tad better.

No votes.

The main thing I remember about Snatch is how crazy Brad Pitt is and how it gave me flashbacks to Fight Club. I think Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is a tad better.
I haven't seen either in a while, but I think I agree about Lock and this.

Best in Show is a good one. Very satirical and it has a surprisingly real feel despite it's comedy.

Snatch, however, is a masterwork. Dad didn't like it much but I thought the scripting and balancing of so many characters worked beautifully, especially when I came to realize that the "lead character" is technically the diamond since almost everything revolves around it. Would've made my top 25 if I made one.

Seen 18/28.

Best in Show is a very funny movie, but I did not vote for it. I've also only seen it a couple of times for whatever reason. Perhaps having had to actually deal with psychotic dog show people in real life has made it lose some appeal? I did vote for a different Christopher Guest movie that likely won't make the countdown.

I watched Snatch at one point and I didn't like it but I don't remember it well enough to say why.

Not big on most Christopher Guest movies.

I’ve seen Snatch several times and can never remember what the hell happens in it, except for Brad Pitt.

Best In Show was my number 12. I think it the best Guest, and perfect culmination of everything that makes him hilarious. It’s certainly a little bit of a stand in for a handful of his films for me though. I love his characters and dead pan dry wit very much. Anytime I think of him or hear his movies mentioned, I want to watch them all again.

I watched Snatch when it came out. Was it funny past Pitt? Don’t remember it well enough to consider it, but I don’t think it would have been in danger of making my list.
It's been ages since I last saw Best in Show but I remember it being very funny, and it showing up on the list is like a gentle reminder to rewatch it, because in the time since I last saw it I've probably forgot most of the jokes, and they can get me all over again. The worst thing about doing that, though, is that you usually remember right at the same time the punch-line comes up, thereby ruining that impetus of surprise which stimulates our funny bones. It probably isn't quite up to my top 25, but might make my top 100.
I actually didn't think Best in Show would make it. Spinal Tap (not on my ballot, story below), I'm expecting to show up later.

But I guess I'll share my Reiner/Guest rewatch anecdote for this countdown now. And for what follows, I'll just lump Spinal Tap in with the other Christopher Guest movies. Basically, Best in Show was my first Christopher Guest movie as a teenager. Watched multiple times. Laughed lots and lots. Haven't revisited it in a long time. Saw some of the others ones later, of course eventually saw Spinal Tap. I felt I wanted to keep at least one on my final ballot, and basically decided I should rewatch Spinal Tap and Best in Show (I forgot about Waiting for Guffman tbh, though other people love it, that was probably one of the ones I watched last and only ever really watched once) - if nothing else, order and placement. I did this with a couple other movies.

First movie I watch (unnamed) was one that I really liked, but can never remember just how comedic it is, because the structure of its jokes are a different type of comedy. Watch it, laugh my butt off. Makes my ballot, pretty high up. Then I watch Dogtooth, thinking it'd end up being close to the end of my ballot. Just because for whatever reason I've only seen it once, and it's stuck in that purgatory of, "really liked it, I keep meaning to rewatch it, but never find the time." So a decade later, I'm watching it the next night. Don't laugh. Maybe I crack a smile. I think, "okay, maybe the humor of this is less pronounced once you know the bit and aren't as surprised by the commitment to it and where it goes." I cut Dogtooth from my ballot. Next night, I get to This is Spinal Tap... I don't laugh. I can't tell if it's the exact phenomenon that Phoenix is describing, if I'm just not in a laughing mood, or what. (I've had the experience before of watching a familiar dark comedy at a midnight screen and not laughing at it, possibly because I was too familiar with the jokes by that point, but then some odd years later, rewatching it with friends, again laughed my butt off.) But that's two movies in a row now, and I'm starting to think I might just not be a laughing mood - sure I laughed at the first movie, but it's got a very different type of structure for its jokes that may have allowed it to still work despite my current temperament. But, the no laughs is what it is, and I end up cutting it from the ballot, and then decide to give Best in Show the grandfather clause (and maybe because it was my first Guest movie, is the one I remember most fondly) and not risk my memory of it, but the Spinal Tap experience still dings it. So yeah, Best in Show, my #23. I tried to not let too many films get in on nostalgia and distant memory, but I have a couple.

Snatch - I saw it once back when it was in theaters... It doesn't really retain any real estate in my mind. Neither good or bad, it was just a movie that existed at one point.

Seen 22/28
Ballot so far
WARNING: spoilers below

4. House (1977) (#89)
12. Fargo (1996) (#97?)
21. Evil Dead II (1987) (#93)
23. Best in Show (2000) (#74)

25. The Phantom of Liberty (1974) (1 pt)
seen: 11/12

ETA: hmmm, weird. I could have sworn I first saw this in the later part of high school, but looking at the release date, it must have been the later part of college. Might have even been right after college since I don't recall seeing it in the theaters. Memory's weird.

Victim of The Night
Well, I like the movie a good bit but I'm just sorta shocked with Snatch. I mean, I guess it is a funny movie. It's just clear to me after this and one of the earlier ones that we are being as broad as humanly possible about what a comedy is and more specifically what a Top-100 Comedy is.
And that's fine, this isn't my list this is our list. But I'm genuinely surprised.

Snatch snatched the #10 spot on my list.

I recently rewatched it and I still think it’s top entertainment!

A completely bonkers British brute force of a beat’ya-across-the-face feature, filled with snappy dialogue and happy slappy humour. There really ain’t no stopping this Guy once he gets going… and going he gets in this one.

It doesn’t really amount to much perhaps, but it’s the going that brings the fun. Going nowhere but going everywhere at the same time. You know… going crazy, going to London, going missing, going down in the fourth… a lot of goings and I gladly go with it.

It might be problematic for a Guy to have his signature style peak with the Pikes and the likes in his sophomore effort, but this movie is a diamond in the rough nevertheless - no matter if it’s pulled out the ass or not by the end of it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Originally Posted by Little Ash
And... have people decided that The Princess Bride is no longer good as an adult? I haven't revisited it since roughly that age either, now that I think about it.
I think it's very well looked upon. It's just that those people are wrong.
People actually think that?!

they are completely and utterly wrong

It was at Pine Knob, f**k that DTE crap.Cass Tech grad ('76), migrated N to Oxford. It hasn't been a kind year up here...
I agree about that DTE horsh#t. I have heard that recently they switched back because NO ONE would call it DTE and kept referring to its original namesake.

It's rough all over. We all just gotta weather it out throughout ALL the weather - and the f@ckin Construction lol

Good luck and Do take care!

Have not seen Snatch or Best in Show but it's great to see 2000's finally catching up with the 90's and 80's as it should

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I've seen Best in Show once and thought it was amusing enough, though not my favourite of Guest's mockumentaries. Snatch made one of my old top 100s but now I consider it the only remotely decent Guy Ritchie movie and nothing more.

Victim of The Night
And... have people decided that The Princess Bride is no longer good as an adult? I haven't revisited it since roughly that age either, now that I think about it.
No.
It remains one of the most rewatchable movies I can think of, not just for me but for probably all of my friends, everyone I work with, and every acceptable person I've ever met.
If you don't like The Princess Bride, I'm not sure I want you sitting next to me at the bar and you might need to be on the FBI's watch-list.

Beetlejuice

Juno: What's wrong?
Barbara: We're very unhappy.
Juno: What did you expect? You're dead!

If I had the time to rewatch this I hazard to guess I would have found a spot for it somehow. A heavy Rewatch film from my earlier daze that has been a while since my last revisit but one I truly enjoy. One of my favorite Winona Ryder roles and I've loved Catherine O'Hara ever since watching her on the Canadian skit show SCTV so her sublime approach to characters like her is an utter delight for me. Unlike others, I continue to believe Michael Keaton nailed his bombastic role of Beetlejuice.

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, you lying... unconstant... succubus!
Vernon T. Waldrip: Whoa, whoa, whoa! You can't swear at my fiancé!
Ulysses Everett McGill: Oh, yeah? Well, you can't marry my wife!

A highly loved and quotable film in our household though I went with one from the Coens that causes me greater laughs. Not to say this is NO slouch when it comes to the comedic moments along with a very serious Soundtrack that earned even greater admiration by us fans than the film itself. And considering the film, the dialogue and the actors, that's a helluva thing to say.

M*A*S*H

Hawkeye Pierce: Morning, Frank. Heard from your wife? A bunch of the boys asked me to, uh, ask you, Frank, what Hot Lips was like in the sack. You know, was she...
Frank Burns: Mind your own business.
Hawkeye Pierce: No Frank, you know, is she better than self-abuse? Does that- does that big ass of hers move around a lot, Frank or does it sort of lie there flaccid? What would you say about that?
Would you say that she was a moaner, Frank? Seriously Frank. I mean, does she go "ooooh" or does she lie there quiet and not do anything at all?

Frank Burns: Keep your filthy mouth to yourself.
Hawkeye Pierce: Or does she go "uh-uh-uh"?
[Frank leaps over the table and attacks Hawkeye]
Hawkeye Pierce: Get him off me! I've got glasses. Get him off me!
Duke Forrest: What's going on, Frank? That lesson one?
Hawkeye Pierce: Frank Burns has gone nuts! I'm wearing glasses, for God's sake!
Trapper John: Watch out for your goodies, Hawkeye! That man is a sex maniac; I don't think Hot Lips satisfied him. Don't let him kiss you, Hawkeye!

If my vague memory works, somewhat I believe the TV was hitting its second season when I saw the censored version on TV and as the show lost its sharp wit through the following seasons I always had the original film to return to. Hell, I even read the Hooker books that delved into the characters and the hell-raising they caused after returning from Korea.
I true regret that it didn't make my list

Dazed and Confused

Mike: It's what everybody in this car needs is some good ol' worthwhile visceral experience.

For all the love I had for the 80's Teen Movies I never actually felt any nostalgia for when I was a teenager while watching them. Just nostalgic for those films and watching them, back then.
But, this brought up all kinds of memories of those dazes.
Probably because this is set on the Last Day of School and the first day of Summer vacation in 1976. At that time I was in 6th grade, in '79: a freshman in high school and a senior in '82, and our class were the final puffs off a nearly dead roach of that life before MTV became a thing, the drive-in burger joints were already becoming things of history and people started congregating in malls.
Suffice to say, I have more connections to the high-schoolers in this film; how they acted, the music they enjoyed, and the way they dressed, than the MTV crowd that came afterward.
It was quite the beautiful thing seeing so many characters and personas that clicked regarding people I hung out and partied with, back then.

Best In Show is one I haven't seen and probably should. Though unlikely I will.

Snatch

[Avi arrives in London]
Doug the Head: Avi!
Avi: Shut up and sit down, you big, bald f@ck. I don't like leaving my own country, Doug, and I especially don't like leaving it for anything less then warm sandy beaches, and cocktails with little straw hats.
Doug the Head: We've got sandy beaches...
Avi: So? Who the f@ck wants to see 'em?

I had discovered and was in full throttle fanboy with Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels so I was already won over when this hit the theaters. Between the two and RocknRolla we bounce from one to the other in utter enjoyment. Truly impossible for me to place them in any order since they all hit the mark for us as we watch them over and over again.

Should it have been on my list? Yeah, it really should have. Shame on me.

Watched: 22 out of 28 (78.57%)
25. Megamind (2010) One Pointer

One Pointers: 18 out of 42 (40.47%)

No.
It remains one of the most rewatchable movies I can think of, not just for me but for probably all of my friends, everyone I work with, and every acceptable person I've ever met.
If you don't like The Princess Bride, I'm not sure I want you sitting next to me at the bar and you might need to be on the FBI's watch-list.
"Unacceptable" and "need to be on the FBI's watch-list," you say?

Snatch: Desperately wants you to think its cool. It's not. Also not funny.

Best in Show: Might not be the best Guest movie, but it's the one I decided was the funniest. And so was on my list.