The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Coming near the end of the Hippie/flower child era, M*A*S*H was a hit with the younger set (including me). It's brand of black comedy was fresh and unique at the time, showcased in a delightful and topical film.

The two leads, Donald Sutherland and Elliot Gould, played two army physicians who were able to maintain their free swinging counter-culture personalities due to their importance as highly skilled surgeons. It was set in the Korean war, but most everyone imagined it to be about Viet Nam.

There were many hilarious bits, many provoked by the two doctors' wicked senses of humor. Sally Kellerman was a tour de force in her portrayal of Major Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan.

The irreverent free wheeling spirit of the movie was mostly lost in the long running TV series.

TBH I'd forgotten about the movie, although it wouldn't have made my top 25.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I think M*A*S*H is a victim of timing for me. I watched and loved the TV series for many years before I saw the movie, so it was hard for the movie to live up to my expectations. Had I seen the movie first, I might have liked it more.

I never understood the love for Dazed and Confused, but Hubby loves it. I think Hubby's love of the movie has more to do with the music than the movie itself, (but I could be wrong).

Victim of The Night
Beetlejuice is a film that I think is better every time I see it (which is about every other year), is probably Burton's best film, and has really become one of my favorite movies.
Still didn't make my list.
O Brother, Where Art Thou is a classic which I love.
M*A*S*H is almost certainly one of my favorite movies and established Altman as a director to be followed very early in my life.
Dazed And Confused is another movie that I consider to be an ascending film (is better each time I watch it) and a classic.

19/26 so far.

I really like M*A*S*H...in fact I think it's one of Altman's best films, but, I'm not much of an Altman fan. An outrage on this board, I know, but there are a few I like and this is one of them. My older brother served in the Army during the Vietnam War and miraculously he was not called overseas. He trained as and became a medic so it something that he wasn't sent as they were in heavy demand. Being a medic, he and others were shown M*A*S*H and he really talked it up when he was discharged. I wasn't able to see it uncut till the advent of videotape but I thought it was great. Still, like several here, I love the TV series more

Dazed and Confused is one I love. It is exactly in my era of high school, and it captures small town Texas school kids perfectly, at least the way I experienced it. All the details are perfect, even down to the older guy hanging out with the kids, ogling the teenage girls. I wonder whatever happened to that guy? No, I really don't. Too weird. But the movie is my favorite Linklater. Still, I didn't place it on my list. But I'm really jazzed to see it place here.

My list:
#8.Stripes THE List #90

Haven't seen MASH or Dazed and Confused. Probably more interested in the one which became the TV series. I did like the series.

76 points, 8 lists
Best in Show
Director

Christopher Guest, 2000

Starring

Jay Brazeau, Parker Posey, Michael Hitchcock, Catherine O'Hara

77 points, 5 lists
Snatch
Director

Guy Ritchie, 2000

Starring

Benicio del Toro, Dennis Farina, Vinnie Jones, Brad Pitt

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
People what are we doing. Snatch!?! Snatch!?!? I swear if some of the big hitters get left off because of Snatch!?! Hell Brave Little Toaster is funnier than that.

Even Little Nicky and Talledaga Nights are better options.

I watched Best in Show for the first time last month and liked it, although I wouldn't consider it an all time great comedy. Snatch is good, but didn't make my list.

Seen: 28/28

Trivia: Snatch: Brad Pitt, who was a fan of "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels" (1998, approached director Guy Ritchie and asked for a role in this ftlm. When Ritchie found Pitt could not master an English accent , he gave him the role of Mickey the Gypsy.

PHOENIX74
I forgot the opening line.
It's been ages since I last saw Best in Show but I remember it being very funny, and it showing up on the list is like a gentle reminder to rewatch it, because in the time since I last saw it I've probably forgot most of the jokes, and they can get me all over again. The worst thing about doing that, though, is that you usually remember right at the same time the punch-line comes up, thereby ruining that impetus of surprise which stimulates our funny bones. It probably isn't quite up to my top 25, but might make my top 100.

Snatch I think of more as a crime film with comedic moments - but those comedic moments are constant, so yeah. A comedy. It's really funny - but violent, very violent. Great characters and performances. I gave it votes when we did the 2000s list. One of Brad Pitts best ever roles - but really, you could say that about every actor in Snatch.

Seen 20/28 - still only one from my list and a 1-pointer. Maybe all my votes are waiting to drop in the upper levels. I have quite a few I'm certain will show.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Best In Show was my number 12. I think it the best Guest, and perfect culmination of everything that makes him hilarious. It’s certainly a little bit of a stand in for a handful of his films for me though. I love his characters and dead pan dry wit very much. Anytime I think of him or hear his movies mentioned, I want to watch them all again.

I watched Snatch when it came out. Was it funny past Pitt? Don’t remember it well enough to consider it, but I don’t think it would have been in danger of making my list.

I swore that I had "Best in Show" on my ballot. Someone must have removed it. Can't believe I left off my favorite mockumentary. Boo to me...

Haven't seen " Snatch".

Pretty sure I've never seen Best In Show, sounds like it might be somewhat fun though. Happy enough to see Snatch show up, not seen it for years but remember it as a fairly fun watch with Pitt being a hoot.

Seen: 15/28

Guy Ritchie's Snatch was #71 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s. This is the first appearance of Christopher Guest's Best in Show.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Reply to Topic