The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I haven't seen M*A*S*H. Dazed and Confused, I like quite a bit, but it's not a favorite and I also haven't seen it in a while. Didn't make my list.

Still drawing a blank on my list...

Seen: 17/26

My ballot:  

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I saw M*A*S*H more than twenty years ago in an art-cinema-hall with awful simultaneous translation. There was some buzz about this film and I've had high expectation, instead, I remember exiting the theatre quite disappointed and bored.

I know Dazed and Confused very well only as the great Led Zeppelin song
No clue for the 1993 movie.

Dazed & Confused was #48 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1990s while MASH was #78 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s, one of four Robert Altman flicks on that list.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Even though I am the right age to groove to Linklater's film (a child of the late '70s and early '80s) and even though I am a bit of a sucker for coming-of-age movies I have never gotten into Dazed & Confused. But I understand its fans are legion and am not shocked to see it make the cut. However, I am a huge, unabashed fan of Bob Altman's MASH. I do find it both a cutting satire as well as laugh-out-loud funny. One of the cable channels has been playing it a bit of late and I have stopped and watched at least chunks of it several times in recent weeks. Never get tired of it, it is ingrained deep inside me. It is not my favorite Altman movie nor did I ever really consider it for my list of twenty-five comedies, but I am an Altman superfan and am very happy he found his way onto this list.

Every time I do watch MASH I wind up whistling like Sutherland's Hawkeye Pierce for several days.

And singing "Suicide is Painless", a song that those who only know the television series likely have no idea has words.

The trick is not minding
MASH is a great black comedy that should have been on my list. Glad to see it appear.

Dazed and Confused is ok, but I never understood the love for it. This is how I generally feel about most of Linklater films.

I watched Dazed and Confused for the original Comedy Hall of Fame. I liked the look of the movie and the music was great, but it was not funny to me at all. I haven't seen M*A*S*H.

I like Mash quite a bit. Considering it’s Altman, and 70’s Altman at that, I really should love it. I am past due for a second watch. Will get to it eventually.

Similar to Mash, Dazed And Confused feels like something I should love. I am pretty cool on it though. I will see it again. Expected Dazed much higher.

Seen both, M*A*S*H* & Dazed and Confused...didn't love either, didn't hate either. I'm not a big fan of Altman, sorry Sean Not sure if I really like Linklater's films much with the exception of Boyhood.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I've seen the "Down From the Mountain" show, when it toured through here in Detroit. Fantastic show with many of the artists off that soundtrack. Allison Krause, Emmylou Harris, Ralph Stanley, Chris Thomas King, John Hartford, Gillian Welch, etc.

Great show!
Holy crap! You're a Michigander! SUHWEET. Or did I forget and we've had this conversation?
I grew up two miles from the northern city border, the eight laned, with a median road that Eminem used for his film title "Eight Mile".

Dazed and Confused was cool as a hyperlink piece on how an entire school celebrates freedom, but not really a story. Still fun. 82/100.

Seen 16/26.

I loved MASH when I saw it but it's been years and I didn't feel comfortable voting for it.

I'm not crazy about Dazed and Confused, but Link later has tended to leave me cold.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Even though I am the right age to groove to Linklater's film (a child of the late '70s and early '80s) and even though I am a bit of a sucker for coming-of-age movies I have never gotten into Dazed & Confused. But I understand its fans are legion and am not shocked to see it make the cut. However, I am a huge, unabashed fan of Bob Altman's MASH. I do find it both a cutting satire as well as laugh-out-loud funny. One of the cable channels has been playing it a bit of late and I have stopped and watched at least chunks of it several times in recent weeks. Never get tired of it, it is ingrained deep inside me. It is not my favorite Altman movie nor did I ever really consider it for my list of twenty-five comedies, but I am an Altman superfan and am very happy he found his way onto this list.

Every time I do watch MASH I wind up whistling like Sutherland's Hawkeye Pierce for several days.

And singing "Suicide is Painless", a song that those who only know the television series likely have no idea has words.

I'm EXACTLY the same way. Though it goes for years on both the whistle and the song. And I smile each and every time.

Not seen MASH since my teens. Preferred the TV show att. Now I can't stand the TV show, so I wonder what I'd think about the film?

Dazed & Confused could've made my list on another day. I did contemplate putting it on there but, in the end,, put a film on which I just love more. Great film for atmosphere though. The look and soundtrack feels spot on.

And... have people decided that The Princess Bride is no longer good as an adult? I haven't revisited it since roughly that age either, now that I think about it.
I think it's very well looked upon. It's just that those people are wrong.

Holy crap! You're a Michigander! SUHWEET. Or did I forget and we've had this conversation?
I grew up two miles from the northern city border, the eight laned, with a median road that Eminem used for his film title "Eight Mile".

It was at Pine Knob, f**k that DTE crap.Cass Tech grad ('76), migrated N to Oxford. It hasn't been a kind year up here...

]Been a while since I’ve seen both

Like a lot of Altman (outside of his masterpiece The Long Goodbye and one or two others) I find MASH pretty mid. Certainly not funny. I think Full a metal Jacket had more laughs

Dazed & Confused is about as good as it gets for high school comedies, with some moments and characters that stick with you for years.

and
respectably