The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Two I don’t share the consensus love for, so no votes.

I have given Beetlejuice two chance and, bottom line, I just don’t find it funny or entertaining. I like Keaton, but never been a huge fan. Burton had never appealed to me very much. Just not for me I guess.

On the other hand O’Brother is made by two of my favorite directors. Full of actors I think are fantastic. Had a spiritual side to it’s theme that I normally respond to. Had a song that I find super entertaining. Yet, after at least three watches I still just think this movie is okay. I truly have no idea what the disconnect is with this one, but it’s there.

Trivia: "O Brother Where Art Thou" The films soundtrack became an unlikely blockbuster, even surpassing the success of the film. By early 2001, it had sold five million copies, spawned a documentary film, three follow up albums, , two concert tours, and won Country Music Awards for album of the year and single of the year for "Man of Constant Sorrow. It also won five Grammy's , including Album of the Year, and hit @1 on the Billboard album charts the week of March 15, 2002. over a year after the release of the film.

I forgot the opening line.
Okay, so another two I've seen, and another two I never really even thought of voting for - with different, but similar, reasons. Beetlejuice just never really did it for me, though I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm at a certain taste at this moment in my life where I'd most appreciate it - so perhaps I should watch it again. When it came out, it was just too silly for me - and Michael Keaton's madcap take on his titular character a little too overwrought and overplayed. Now I think I'd be able to appreciate it for what it is. Still, because it's always been something I've only just tolerated (in spite of probably seeing it twice) yet not hated and something I haven't seen for some time, I don't look on it as harshly now, and I'm putting it down for another chance.

As far as the Coen Bros are concerned, Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? Ranks down the list a little bit in favouritism - sure, there are films lower (The Ladykillers, The Hudsucker Proxy, Intolerable Cruelty and Hail, Caesar ) but there are many more I rank higher. I don't think there can be as much debate about this being a comedy - surely - as it's layered on fairly thickly here, and although most of the time it works, sometimes I find it too folksy, or too goofy. I prefer Raising Arizona - and the various more serious comedic films, like Fargo and the Coen Bros film I eventually voted for.

Seen 17/24

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I rewatched Beetlejuice with my room mates a couple Halloweens ago, and it really didn't hold up to how either of us remembered it. We all found it odd that it managed to spawn a kids tv series though haha.

O Brother, Where Art Thou?
is a film I rented when it was new knowing nothing about it, simply because my mom liked George Clooney. We both hated pretty much every second of it, yet watched it because we had nothing else to do. I wasn't even aware until a couple years ago that it was supposed to be a comedy.

So unsurprisingly, neither of those were on my list. Of the previous reveals, I haven't seen Step Brothers since the theatrical trailers for it made it seem insufferable, and I don't really have any strong feelings for National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Seen: 15/24

My List: 1
04. Evil Dead II (1987) - #93

No votes.

I actually liked Beetlejuice okay, though it sure is very wacky. That's both a gift and a curse. But fairly enjoyable entertainment.

As for O, Brother I don't like it that much. It's very middle of the road for me. I love the Coens. Some of my favorite directors for sure. Well going by my avatar y'all probably know by now. But this one has never been a favorite. Only seen it once though.

I haven't seen O' Brother, Where Art Thou, though I do like the Coen's films so I bet I'd dig this.

Beetlejuice (1988)

I like Winona Ryder in this but I'm ambivalent about Michael Keaton's performance. I don't think Keaton has the right type of comedy chops to pull off the freeform improv style of character comedy he was shooting for. Jim Carey (i.e. The Mask) would've been my first choice here.

Tim Burton really knows how to stack his films with lots of interesting stuff. My favorite here was the afterlife waiting room with Sylvia Sydey. The whole film is a visual eye-treat.

I've liked most all of Tim Burton's films with Ed Wood and Mars Attacks! as two of my favorites. The only film of his I didn't care for was the live action Dumbo remake. I'm middle of the road with Beetlejuice.

"Beetlejucie" was a fun romp through the afterlife, where every character played a significant role. One of Burton's better outputs and Keaton's best work.

Finally one off my ballot! "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? " was my #17. Someone was doing pharmaceuticals with, " Let's make a film based on Homers "Odyssey", but have it set in the depression era. Oh, and a bluegrass theme."

brilliant !

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Beetlejuice has terrific Michael Keaton, Winona Ryder, Sylvia Sidney and this.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? is a funny, tune-filled saga with a great KKK scene and this.
No votes.

Trivia: "O Brother Where Art Thou" The films soundtrack became an unlikely blockbuster, even surpassing the success of the film. By early 2001, it had sold five million copies, spawned a documentary film, three follow up albums, , two concert tours, and won Country Music Awards for album of the year and single of the year for "Man of Constant Sorrow. It also won five Grammy's , including Album of the Year, and hit @1 on the Billboard album charts the week of March 15, 2002. over a year after the release of the film.
I've seen the "Down From the Mountain" show, when it toured through here in Detroit. Fantastic show with many of the artists off that soundtrack. Allison Krause, Emmylou Harris, Ralph Stanley, Chris Thomas King, John Hartford, Gillian Welch, etc.

Great show!

Beetlejuice is great, but for whatever reason it didn't come to mind when I was voting. I've tried to like O Brother, but I just... can't. I want to chalk it up to my hatred of George Clooney but I really liked Burn After Reading so he alone can't be the reason.

Been a long time since I’ve seen O brother, but like anything the Coens put out it’s funny and enjoyable. Surprised to see if above Fargo and no longer have much hope for my favorite comedy of theirs. Definitely wouldn’t be opposed to giving this one another viewing

Have not seen Beetlejuice

Nothing yet from me... but I've seen both. Beetlejuice is certainly an odd film, with some iconic visuals and characters, but it didn't make my list. It's been a while since I last saw O Brother, Where Art Thou?, but like most Coen brother films, I remember enjoying it a lot. Still, not my Coen pick.

Seen: 15/24

My ballot:  

You've never heard of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation?!

I know it's an old movie, but it's a huge Christmas staple and gets shown on TV a lot every December.
But maybe not where @mrblond lives?

And I remember going into it as a kid (tween?) thinking, "movie from the guy who made Spaceballs (and Young Frankenstein) and starring the guy from The Princess Bride."
Well if that wasn't enough of a warning sign then, even at that age, I think you were beyond saving.

I saw Beetlejuice about a year after it came out and didn't care for it at all. Just bored me, but I have no real memory of any of it other than knowing I didn't like it. I'm not much of a fan of Keaton so that probably didn't help. I might try it again someday though.

O Brother Where Art Thou I saw twice. Enjoyed it both times (despite the soundtrack) but have never really felt the desire to see it again. I think, mostly, because I really didn't care for the colouring. Like with most films set in the twenties which aren't gangster films, there's too much brown and yellow. Probably reminds me of Westerns.

Beetlejuice is pretty good, but it didn't make my ballot. I don't like it as much as I did when I was younger, but it's definitely one of the better American comedies I've seen. It has a great cast, some memorable effects and characters, and an overall nice vibe to it. Keaton stole the film whenever he was on screen. Some bits, however, haven't aged that well and are rather cringe-inducing for me to watch (the Banana Boat scene, in particular, is shit).

Haven't seen O Brother, Where Art Thou?, but I should get to it soon.

Have seen so far: 13 - Beetlejuice - The movie was okay, not really a fan of it
Have not seen so far: 11

I have not seen O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Beetlejuice was a late cut from my list so I like it quite a lot. Lydia’s hipster parents especially tickle me and there’s some great set design and effects on top of it all.

I don’t really like O Brother. I don’t like the folksiness or the songs or the performances. I don’t like when Clooney tries comedy. He’s too goofy.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I've seen Beetlejuice at least a couple of times and definitely think it's towards the top end of Burton's filmography (for whatever that's worth these days). O Brother, Where Art Thou? is a Coen film and those are almost invariably impeccable pieces of work (one of these days I'll do a full rewatch to see how they all stack up against one another, but this feels like it'd be in the top half).

I'm not a fan of Tim Burton...except I do like everything he did from Ed Wood (peak Tim Burton) and earlier. Beetlejuice is part of that era, the film is great, and Michael Keaton is awesome as usual. I like Michael Keaton. I feel he's underrated. Is that fair to say?

Thumbs up to O Brother, Where Art Thou? Surprised a lot of people haven't seen it. If you are a fan of the Coens, Depression era, modern adaptations of classical era literature, folk music, and well that's enough, give it a shot, you might have a good time.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

But maybe not where @mrblond lives?
In Europe were they marketed as National Lampoon's American Vacation and National Lampoon's Vacation?

/extrapolating, possibly incorrectly, from the use of commas instead of decimal places for those averages.

Well if that wasn't enough of a warning sign then, even at that age, I think you were beyond saving.
Hey, Spaceballs seemed funny when I younger than 10 (and I guess I didn't immediately rewatch in the years before Men in Tights, I guess? I really don't know what happened with that movie.). And... have people decided that The Princess Bride is no longer good as an adult? I haven't revisited it since roughly that age either, now that I think about it.