The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Step Brothers for this countdown only because it happened to air on TV one day while I was flipping channels, so I decided to give it a try. I didn't like it because it's just not my type of humor.

I saw one of the Vacation movies many years ago, but all I really remember about it was that I didn't like it. I don't think it was National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation because I think Anthony Michael Hall played one of the kids in the movie that I saw, but it was another movie that just wasn't my type of humor.

(Sadly, I expect this to be a recurring theme for me in this countdown. )

I saw one of the Vacation movies many years ago, but all I really remember about it was that I didn't like it. I don't think it was National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation because I think Anthony Michael Hall played one of the kids in the movie that I saw, but it was another movie that just wasn't my type of humor.

(Sadly, I expect this to be a recurring theme for me in this countdown. )
If it was Anthony Michael Hall, it was the first one. Curiously enough, one of the things with these franchise is that the kids are played by different actors in almost every single entry, and their ages go back and forth with Rusty being the oldest in some, and then Audrey being the oldest in others. My teenage A-type self always found that distracting and it might be a reason why, despite loving the first one, I never got into the other sequels.

If anything, they joked about it in one of them with Chase saying "I hardly recognize you anymore!". I thought that was a funny line.

If it was Anthony Michael Hall, it was the first one. Curiously enough, one of the things with these franchise is that the kids are played by different actors in almost every single entry, and their ages go back and forth with Rusty being the oldest in some, and then Audrey being the oldest in others. My teenage A-type self always found that distracting and it might be a reason why, despite loving the first one, I never got into the other sequels.

If anything, they joked about it in one of them with Chase saying "I hardly recognize you anymore!". I thought that was a funny line.

Thanks for the info. I knew that there were different kids in the later movies, but I didn't know that they changed the actors more than once.

I noticed that Johnny Galecki is in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. I love him in "The Big Bang Theory", so I might give it a try if it airs on TV around Christmas the year.

I noticed that Johnny Galecki is in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. I love him in "The Big Bang Theory", so I might give it a try if it airs on TV around Christmas the year.
He plays Russ, the Griswolds' son (same role as Anthony Michael Hall). He's got a few good lines but it's a small role.

He plays Russ, the Griswolds' son (same role as Anthony Michael Hall). He's got a few good lines but it's a small role.

Wow, is that him in the video? He looks so young there I probably wouldn't recognize him if I didn't know it was him. I think the first thing I ever saw him in was "Roseanne", so this was several years before that show.

I remember so little of the first movie that it probably wouldn't make a difference if he were playing a totally different character, but I'll give the movie a chance if I can find it this holiday season.

On the commentary track for Christmas Vacation Galecki talks about how Chase would help him with his lines and suggest different ways they could be funny and during the downtime on set took him across the lot to watch them film Ghostbusters 2.

Hopefully, we will get a couple of Canadian comedies tomorrow, in honour of Canada Day.
Meatballs and Jesus of Montreal?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Strange Brew would be my Canadian comedy pick (though it wasn't on my actual list).

Strange Brew I first watches with the excuse that I was doing a high school project about Canadian culture, so it would be great for the movie to make an appearance today. However, I did not vote for it.

Here in Canada we claim any comedy that gives top billing to a Canadian comedian as our own. That's a very long list.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

74 points, 9 lists
Beetlejuice
Director

Tim Burton, 1988

Starring

Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, Jeffrey Jones, Catherine O'Hara

76 points, 6 lists
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Director

Joel Coen, 2000

Starring

George Clooney, John Turturro, Tim Blake Nelson, Chris Thomas King

Beetlejuice was #87 on the MoFo '80s List while O Brother, Where Art Thou? was #96 on the MoFo Millennium List then moved all the way up to #21 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s.

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Never cared for Beetlejuice. One of my lower tier Button movies

Not seen O Brother but that needs to change soon.

Seen and liked both, but neither made my ballot.

Remember finding Beetlejuice fairly entertaining on release, not seen it since then though so it wouldn't have been one that was under consideration by me unless I'd decided to rewatch it and that was unlikely. I've seen O Brother, Where Art Thou? much more recently but despite it being quite a fun watch I doubt that would have made my ballot either.

Seen: 12/24

Reply to Topic