Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

RRR -

A 3 hour Hindi film might sound like a chore to get through, but my God was this film fun. It had action, romance, comedy, violence, bro-mance, drama, dance numbers, kick-ass music, and everything else. Just the right amount of over-the-top action you'd expect from a Bollywood-type film.
Apparently, it’s not Hindi or Bollywood but rather in Telugu and “Tollywood.” The Hindi version of Netflix is a dubbed version.

I’m hoping it gets a deluxe 4K Blu so I can rewatch it in its original language.

Apparently, it’s not Hindi or Bollywood but rather in Telugu and “Tollywood.” The Hindi version of Netflix is a dubbed version.

I’m hoping it gets a deluxe 4K Blu so I can rewatch it in its original language.
Yeah, for some reason Netflix has this and Bahubali in Hindi, Tamil and Malayalam dubs but not a version in their original language, Telugu.

Yeah, for some reason Netflix has this and Bahubali in Hindi, Tamil and Malayalam dubs but not a version in their original language, Telugu.
Also, and I may be wrong, but I feel like AMC theaters had RRR listed as Hindi so it seems like whoever is responsible for international distribution is pumping the dubbed version.

Reminds me of all the Cantonese/Mandarin dub mess ups that plagued Hong Kong/Mainland releases.

I kinda wish there'd be any version on Finnish Netflix, but no.

I kinda wish there'd be any version on Finnish Netflix, but no.
That stinks. The good news is that if a fancy 4K does come out, UHDs are region free.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I LOVED this movie...have to constantly remind myself that Elaine May directed it, not sure why.

A lot of people guess its Cassavetes directing it, because it's kind of his style. The writing is excellent.

"Why are you black?"

Lots of funny stuff, in addition to tragedy. Even when I first saw it, I was unsure about Mikey (if he'd help/hurt)

The Hall of Infamy

Krampus: The Christmas Devil (2013) -

This is a case of a film made by someone who doesn't know how to make movies. You can clearly see the movie was shot on a low budget, but while I suppose that isn't the worst thing a film can be guilty of, what I will hold against it is how joyless it is. The various horror sequences are awful and not in the fun so-bad-they're-good way. Just in a really uninteresting and unfun way. The pacing, direction, and annoying aesthetic choices used throughout them (changing color filters) do more harm than good and they become pretty dull and lifeless as a result. I also found the writing poor for a few reasons. The delivery of Jeremy's backstory and some other attempts at pathos via monologue came off as rather clunky and unnatural. They were incorporated into the film in a really awkward way and, as a result, didn't have much of an impact on me at all. Also, the sub-plot concerning the released convict looking for revenge was unnecessary and could've been cut from the film. In fact, that sub-plot and the whole barfight sequence really screwed up the film's pacing as, after the first 40 minutes or so, Krampus didn't do much until the final several minutes of the film since it was pushed aside for those other sub-plots. This made the film really unfocused. I also found the story confusing. Though it was stated that Krampus punishes bad kids, we also saw it praying on several adults for some unexplained reason. During one scene, we see it sexually assaulting an adult woman (since she's never alluded to again, I'm guessing the movie just wanted an excuse to show nudity) and we also see it attacking other adults later in the film. Its motives didn't make much sense. So yeah, this movie was a complete letdown virtually from start to finish. Aside from the characters of Santa Claus and the released convict who got a few laughs out at me, there's virtually no fun to be had in this film at all and, as a result, it was a chore to get through it. I initially thought it was going to be a so-bad-it's-good film, which would've given me more respect for it, but it's not even that. Just very unpleasant.

The only "Krampus" we appreciate in this thread are the leg "Krampus" from the suspenders dance scene in RRR.

Hopefully, RRR will be better than this trash once I get to it.

Make it happen, Popcorn.

The only "Krampus" we appreciate in this thread are the leg "Krampus" from the suspenders dance scene in RRR.
My (mein?) Krampuses are of the, "Why can't I stop eating at Chipotle's" variety.

Make it happen, Popcorn.
So they finally rebooted Seven Bride for Seven Brothers eh? Let me guess the new title.
WARNING: spoilers below
Seventy Two Virgins for Two Brothers?

So they finally rebooted Seven Bride for Seven Brothers eh? Let me guess the new title.
Just fyi, anti-muslim bigotry in India is supposed to have really escalated under the Modi Hindu-nationalist government. Just sayin'

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/ind...ation-bjp-modi

https://www.hrw.org/report/2020/04/0...zenship-policy

I fully expected to be excoriated for my feeble attempt at a joke. Thank you for your measured response.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Yes this is true. The dubbed version was a little distracting, but I found myself reading versus watching their lips. So it wasn't too egregious.

Suspect's Reviews

Now THAT'S funny, right there...

Rock N Roll High School (1979)

The Ramones are coming to town in this 1979 "teen" comedy. Little disappointed I hadn't seen or heard of this before because it was really good and funny. The couple from Eating Raoul play the principal and music teacher and they are just fantastic in this. It has so many great one liners which is what I like. I'm not a big Ramones fan but they are really just a feature (and drugged completely out of their minds).